Opinions

That is interesting, I've never paid much attention to fuel flows, pretty much ever. How much do they vary based on weight?

They vary, but not a ton. If you know the typical number, you can adjust it based on being heavy or light pretty easily.

I was taught this by a military guy, Navy, I think. Makes it incredibly easy, especially on a plane that doesn’t have autothrottles, like a CRJ. For example, 1350/side would give you about 290 knots at average weight if I remember right.

When you're not flying, you're on the PM side. Unless you think you're simultaneously the PF and PM. Which isn't good. For a lot of reasons and says quite a bit about how you conduct yourself and where you sit on the CRM spectrum.

My side is the left side, CA side. Our roles are either as PF or PM. Your snark on how I conduct myself or CRM are completely baseless and without merit. I on the other hand know exactly how you conduct yourself when it comes to being in a hot plane.

You do realize that "on the MAX, the engine gauges stay on the CA side" is entirely because someone decided that in the training department? It's totally possible to just put the N1s on the FOs side when they are flying? You just push a button and boom, the gauges can be on whatever side you want. You're referencing an arbitrary in house AS rule, when we are discussing the reasoning of the very same rule. Which is probably your most common infantile quality.

Show me on the doll where AS hurt you. You are paid to operate this airplane in accordance to how THEY want you to operate it. I know what the Eng transfer button accomplishes. It’s not that it can’t be done physically in the airplane.

2 posts above you said I'm probably referencing the N1s too much and on this post you're now saying you need to reference N1 when you're not even the one flying the aircraft. There is a litany of trend data on the HUD but you also have to have the N1s in the same place every time? You realize that all the trend information on the HGS is partly derived from the auto throttle computer? The AT Mode, Thrust Limit and N1 are already incorporated into what you're seeing on through the HGS.

Yet you insist you need to see it on your MFD. Mind you I said it was annoying that I have to look across the cockpit to see the same N1s that I'm used to seeing in a difference space. It's not the end of the world and I'm pointing out that the rule is arbitrary and has no definitive reasoning for why it must be on the left side.

Your over reliance on N1 isn’t my problem. Thanks for summarizing my HUD. I want the engine gauges to be where they are in one consistent location so when things go wrong, I have one consistent place to look and reference. It’s not my problem if you can’t comprehend that.

That is interesting, I've never paid much attention to fuel flows, pretty much ever. How much do they vary based on weight?

Hell I don't even look at N1 much either. Auto throttles make ya lazy. Once stabilized I just adjust thrust as required if we get a positive or negative trend. Now that I have a HUD I look at AOA and speed trend on approach. In cruise and top of climb, AOA and margin.
I never paid any attention either until I came here and was flying the -300s, the Mensa scholars in Dallas decided that autothrottles were witchcraft and not only were they to be deactivated but physically removed from the aircraft.

That being said there was a great rule of thumb for that thing and it was to use fuel flows for airspeed. So if you wanted 250 knots set 2.5/side and it would do 250, worked great 2.1 got you 210 and so on. Even works pretty good on the NG with a little tweaking.

Do you see a lot of guys show up at D-20? Blows my mind that everyone just doesn't have to arrive together at show time.

I'd prefer if they show up at D-5. Yesterday the captain was already there when I showed up at D-60. I was setting things up as I always do and the cruise wind data came through 3 times. I requested it once. So then I had to delete it twice. Witch is Mortal Kombat level button mashing.

I said "hey you know I already asked for the wind data so we don't need to send for it anymore. But thanks." Then the captain proceeds to ask me if I know how to tell it's already been requested. :rolleyes:

The best trip of 2022 was when I was flying the freighter and the captain showed up just as they were finishing loading the airplane because he was commuting and ops took forever to deliver him to the freight side.

Using fuel flows for airspeed calculations works well in jets with a small min to max weight spread and poorly in jets with a large one.
Just an anecdotal data point, but fuel flow tended to be a pretty reliable method for when I was flying the E145. It also works pretty reliably in the MD-11 that I fly now.

It's a good starting reference point to quickly get you close to a good power setting. Fine tune as needed.

Do you see a lot of guys show up at D-20? Blows my mind that everyone just doesn't have to arrive together at show time.

He’s just venting. If anything, AS is a heavily FO centric airline. As you already mentioned, the seat belt sign is a good example. At VX, we’d never touch that switch unless discussing with the CA first, like hey, whatcha think of the seat belt sign, little rough here? At AS, I’ve had times I hit the slightest of ruffles and the guy in the right seat just reaches up and throws the sign on. No discussion, no comments. FOs also almost exclusively do the walkaround and program the box. One time, I had a FO complain I did the box, and this is when HE showed up 25 minutes before departure. I’d already done my job/setup, then did the walkaround, then when he still wasn’t here, I did the box. And he apparently took offense I had helped set anything up. I’m a nice guy, so I let it go. Didn’t wanna get off in the wrong foot. I just said I didn’t see anyone here, thought it was a rsv callout and decided to help. But damn dude, show up late and have attitude, first time meeting for the first leg.

At VX, CAs would routinely do walkarounds or program the box if FO was walking around. AS, it’s pretty much FOs and when I transitioned, they made it a point that FOs at AS 737s do walkarounds and the FMC.

While we are beotching, what is it with the lack of consistency on the GPWS test on the ground? I’ve reached a point now where I will call them out and tell them to do it the right way. Offender #1…. They throw on both ACPs switch from NORM to ALT and run the GPWS test, so we hear nothing and it’s quiet. Um, the whole point is to hear the warnings! Offender #2… double punching the test switch to get the second level test, the “no faults” aural. 737 stand notes says double punching is a maintenance function and not considered a valid EGPWS test. If I see either of these two offenses, I politely ask to have it be re-run the proper way.

Fuel flows are pretty consistent and work as a good baseline to set. Used them in tactical jets, and in medium airliners.

Regards engine instruments, I like 2-pilot planes where they are just simply in the center of the panel. :)

He’s just venting. If anything, AS is a heavily FO centric airline. As you already mentioned, the seat belt sign is a good example. At VX, we’d never touch that switch unless discussing with the CA first, like hey, whatcha think of the seat belt sign, little rough here? At AS, I’ve had times I hit the slightest of ruffles and the guy in the right seat just reaches up and throws the sign on. No discussion, no comments. FOs also almost exclusively do the walkaround and program the box. One time, I had a FO complain I did the box, and this is when HE showed up 25 minutes before departure. I’d already done my job/setup, then did the walkaround, then when he still wasn’t here, I did the box. And he apparently took offense I had helped set anything up. I’m a nice guy, so I let it go. Didn’t wanna get off in the wrong foot. I just said I didn’t see anyone here, thought it was a rsv callout and decided to help. But damn dude, show up late and have attitude, first time meeting for the first leg.

At VX, CAs would routinely do walkarounds or program the box if FO was walking around. AS, it’s pretty much FOs and when I transitioned, they made it a point that FOs at AS 737s do walkarounds and the FMC.

While we are beotching, what is it with the lack of consistency on the GPWS test on the ground? I’ve reached a point now where I will call them out and tell them to do it the right way. Offender #1…. They throw on both ACPs switch from NORM to ALT and run the GPWS test, so we hear nothing and it’s quiet. Um, the whole point is to hear the warnings! Offender #2… double punching the test switch to get the second level test, the “no faults” aural. 737 stand notes says double punching is a maintenance function and not considered a valid EGPWS test. If I see either of these two offenses, I politely ask to have it be re-run the proper way.

Is the reason no one likes you because you're a nice guy? Also you have not let this go, apparently.

I'd prefer if they show up at D-5. Yesterday the captain was already there when I showed up at D-60. I was setting things up as I always do and the cruise wind data came through 3 times. I requested it once. So then I had to delete it twice. Witch is Mortal Kombat level button mashing.

I said "hey you know I already asked for the wind data so we don't need to send for it anymore. But thanks." Then the captain proceeds to ask me if I know how to tell it's already been requested. :rolleyes:

The best trip of 2022 was when I was flying the freighter and the captain showed up just as they were finishing loading the airplane because he was commuting and ops took forever to deliver him to the freight side.

If I show up at the same time as the FO, I let the FO go down first and get settled in. Lot of them like to sit in the 2nd jumpseat and do their checks/ safety flow / overhead top panel. I just wait until they sit in their seat, then I come in, stow my bag, and then do my thing.

As for the box, I wait until the FO is done. Then I’ll run through my own FMC check. One of the last checks I do is VNAV Descent page, forecast winds. If I see that’s in, then I know both cruise and descent winds were inserted.

Just an anecdotal data point, but fuel flow tended to be a pretty reliable method for when I was flying the E145. It also works pretty reliably in the MD-11 that I fly now.

It's a good starting reference point to quickly get you close to a good power setting. Fine tune as needed.
I’d be interested in what you use on the -11

They vary, but not a ton. If you know the typical number, you can adjust it based on being heavy or light pretty easily.

I was taught this by a military guy, Navy, I think. Makes it incredibly easy, especially on a plane that doesn’t have autothrottles, like a CRJ. For example, 1350/side would give you about 290 knots at average weight if I remember right.
Rule of thumb I used was Total FF/10=IAS. So 1250 a side was 250kts. 1400 280. I didn’t use it a whole lot but that got me in the ballpark

I look at N1 because the prop sync on the 737 sucks. I keep writing it up but it never gets fixed.

True, my technique is to look at how offset the throttles are when AT is taking care of business. Once I click ATs off, I’ll mimic similar movement on approach for landing. Works out pretty good.

Back