Opinions

NG FO here...

I write it down if its complex. If its, A to runway 4, im not gonna jot it down.

I use correction (not a ton). I don't have a tiller to keep it on the runway and I notice if I leave it 100 percent neutral it really wants to vane into the wind, so slight correction into the wind, rudder to keep it centered, at rotation I actually apply deflection slightly opposite whatever wing wants to dip. Smoothly transition rudder out in first segment... Works great. Ive seen people do some jaggy stuff... so smooth is nice.

3. Im not your Dad. Im not gonna get pissy if you check a message on the taxi out. Or when you're zooming around at 9000 feet. If I need you to be in the moment and your playing Clash of clans and that's different. I mean, follow the SOP and sterile stuff but im not gonna run to a CP and start crying...

The bus made it easy to not put a spoiler up. As long as you don’t take the left or right limits of the cross that appears in the artificial horizon when moving the controls on the ground beyond the center dot, you aren’t putting a spoiler up. You can verify it on the controls page.
If I had a right crosswind I’d just put the left tip of the cross on the left edge of the dot. Or vice versa.
Worked great and no weather vaneing or wobbly rotations from putting in the correction after leaving the ground.

1. Always scratchpad my routes. CA can see it as well which helps compared to the paper on my yoke.

2. I don't use a lot of aileron on the big jets. I do like a little at rotation to counter the rudder applied to maintain centerline. Less jerky reactions as a result.

I have needed it in the CRJs. Slow speeds don't matter so much and most of the aileron should be gone by 80 knots. Maintaining centerline becomes a struggle for newer pilots if they don't use aileron in the CRJ.

After you’ve been an FO for awhile you realize you haven’t been flying with other FOs and not all FOs operate the same as you did or are as thorough as you were! Add important things in your initial crew briefing.
1) I don’t care if they write it or not. If it’s super complex I hope they do, but I’ve also probably typed it into the scratchpad too. I also repeat it to the FO to confirm we are all on the same page.
3) I brief this specifically to start the trip after dealing with one serial offender very early on. That way it’s known that I am not flexible on this in the least.

After you’ve been an FO for awhile you realize you haven’t been flying with other FOs and not all FOs operate the same as you did or are as thorough as you were! Add important things in your initial crew briefing.
1) I don’t care if they write it or not. If it’s super complex I hope they do, but I’ve also probably typed it into the scratchpad too. I also repeat it to the FO to confirm we are all on the same page.
3) I brief this specifically to start the trip after dealing with one serial offender very early on. That way it’s known that I am not flexible on this in the least.

Do you at least let them set up their GoPo on the windscreen so they can film all the cool and extremely exciting stuff that happens during the course of an airliner flight? :D :biggrin:

Do you at least let them set up their GoPo on the windscreen so they can film all the cool and extremely exciting stuff that happens during the course of an airliner flight? :D :biggrin:
Of course, they’d lose tons of followers otherwise!

Of course, they’d lose tons of followers otherwise!

Good. I mean, if they lost even just one follower or didn’t get a slew of likes per day, these kids might seriously consider suicide. :) :)

Last edited:
Sometimes I can't believe that there are grown men, professional aviators even, who have not yet realized that the only people who think you are cool because you fly [X] are old men and children. If you put a gun to my wife's head and asked her to name one airplane I've flown, she probably just say "do it already"

Sometimes I can't believe that there are grown men, professional aviators even, who have not yet realized that the only people who think you are cool because you fly [X] are old men and children. If you put a gun to my wife's head and asked her to name one airplane I've flown, she probably just say "do it already"
Ha ha. That’s real talk right there. People used to ask my wife all the time, she’d just say “I have no clue.” Here’s the best part, she would always relay these stories to me. But guess what she never did after telling me? Ask “so what plane do you fly?”

Even knowing she could/would be asked again, she still didn’t care! LOL!!

@ZapBrannigan you picked a hell of a time to upgrade, dude.

Thankfully I only work weekends now. If I was still an FO working my senior Mon, Tues, Wed or Tues, Wed, Thurs line I would‘ve been out there in the middle of this mess. Instead I’m at home watching it all on TV.

E5117CF9-D163-4523-83E7-EEB64A46B3E6.gif

Thankfully I only work weekends now. If I was still an FO working my senior Mon, Tues, Wed or Tues, Wed, Thurs line I would‘ve been out there in the middle of this mess. Instead I’m at home watching it all on TV.

View attachment 68734
I’m so incredibly lucky, was supposed to overnight in BUF the 22nd and it didn’t cancel until right after I checked in that night. Wound up in ORD, they cancelled everything on the 23rd due to the cascading meltdown and I barely made it back to Denver Christmas Eve after cancelling my first leg then patching a crew together to get the last flight out.

So, @ZapBrannigan, in the sim yesterday, we had fairly complex taxi instructions and lo, my captain is punching them into the scratchpad as fast as I can read them back. His version was something like this, "RB.R.W.22R" (not actual instructions but indicative of the style used) - quite useful. Habit I'm trying to pick up.

That's pretty close to how I did it when I was in the right seat too. I found it valuable and have done it in every airplane where I've had a CDU with a scratchpad so it caught me off guard to learn that some FOs don't write anything down.

Back