Opinions

Now I'm going to screw up this thread by adding number 4 (sorry Zap). This is maybe mostly a night freight thing, I suppose, but you pax guys do redeyes. How about letting the other guy nap in cruise. I was all for that. I was never much of a sleeper and would always offer to the non-flying pilot to take the radios and let them catch a nap. If I was really tired, and NFP, I'd ask if I could shut my eyes for 30 min. I can only mention this now that I'm retired....haha. This was was very commonplace at Brown as long as no management pilots were in the jumpseat.
No time to sleep when we are both reading the FOM and flight manuals in cruise....or something like that.

As for us,

1. Always write down taxi instructions, if possible. In China, I have everybody write them down. We’re not supposed to use the scratch pad for it due to a chance of errors.

2. I always put in a little aileron correction on high crosswind takeoffs. Always have, and don’t remember ever flying a plane where it’s not recommended. At a bare minimum, you have to put it in at rotation or you’ll end up close to pod strike territory, in my experience.

3. Absolutely not. However, our IRPs always check the schedule as we taxi in to see how screwed we’re getting.

I've started to develop some pet peeves. Just wondering if my opinion is within, or outside of the majority. Don't want to throw the flag if I'm just being a cranky old guy.

Where do you stand on:

1. Somebody writing down (or copying into the scratchpad) the taxi routing?

2. Putting some aileron into the wind during the takeoff roll (albeit not enough to float a spoiler)?

3. Pilots texting during taxi, or in flight below 10,000 feet. Yea or nay?

1. Fine
2. Depends on the company SOP
3. I would murder.

Now I'm going to screw up this thread by adding number 4 (sorry Zap). This is maybe mostly a night freight thing, I suppose, but you pax guys do redeyes. How about letting the other guy nap in cruise. I was all for that. I was never much of a sleeper and would always offer to the non-flying pilot to take the radios and let them catch a nap. If I was really tired, and NFP, I'd ask if I could shut my eyes for 30 min. I can only mention this now that I'm retired....haha. This was was very commonplace at Brown as long as no management pilots were in the jumpseat.

Bless you sir

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. I would murder.
1671653700151.gif

Airbus makes it easy to write stuff down on the tray table. As long as the company doesn’t forbid using the scratchpad, I don’t care.

Crosswind technique should follow manufacturer and company recommendations.

I don’t really care about the phone. The iPad can be just as distracting. Maybe the guy had his radar app open on his phone and is double checking the route? If it becomes an issue, I’ll say something. I’ve never seen anyone whip it out below 10 though.

The FAA is one of the few that doesn't allow planned in fight micro naps. There's a ton of research that shows it works, and works well. It is true that we'd probably be at risk of losing the RO, at least on shorter segments. What I can't stand is a guy who doesn't tell you he's going to crash out for a bit, especially when you are struggling to stay away yourself. Or even worse, the captain (one in particular over here) who, on an augmented flight takes his break (and is late coming back up front) AND naps pretty much the entire time in the seat.

Somewhat related on the topic of PED use...At my last company, any go around below 1000' required an ASAP report, no matter the cause for the go around. Landing in CLT one afternoon, we had a go around initiated below 1000'. After the second approach attempt and successful landing our next task was to navigate the chaos that is the E gates. While taxiing thru this madness, I noticed out of the corner of my eye my FO pecking away at his ipad.
*taxiing around the horn of the E gates with tugs and planes and bodies everywhere*
"What are you doing?"
"Oh, just filling out the ASAP."
"..........stop."

We had a chat at the gate.

As an FO at a major now, it's nice to see that the CAs at this level are more disciplined on this point.

I've started to develop some pet peeves. Just wondering if my opinion is within, or outside of the majority. Don't want to throw the flag if I'm just being a cranky old guy.

Where do you stand on:

1. Somebody writing down (or copying into the scratchpad) the taxi routing?

Good practice. SOP at my old shop. Didn't mind if the FO didn't, but I usually would toss it into the scratch pad.

2. Putting some aileron into the wind during the takeoff roll (albeit not enough to float a spoiler)?

Unless prohibited by SOP, or incorrect for the type, generally good practice. SOP at my old shop on the jet I flew.

3. Pilots texting during taxi, or in flight below 10,000 feet. Yea or nay?

Brake set, not going anywhere, not running a procedure, nothing to monitor, and an engine or two shut down? Go ham. Otherwise never.

Edit: I meant on scratchpad paper. Seems like way more work typing that into the FMC, and have seen that happen zero times in my career.

On the 175, typing things into the scratchpad is easy and fast:
34L n/p x7r h ww a a2

Pretty trivial to type in.

I‘ve heard that as well, usually justified by the idea that the spoiler or even the aileron increases drag and decreases takeoff performance, But then, at the moment of rotation you can feel the side load on the mains as the airplane skips (sideways) along the runway before becoming airborne. I’m a little torn. I can hear the ghosts of past instructors saying “it’s just a big 172”. The aviator in me just doesn’t like the way it feels. But I see where you guys are coming from.
I hear you on the x-wind thing. I’m on the bus and I know you are on the 737. I’ll never do it on takeoff. We do half down elevator until 80 knots and full down elevator on certain crosswinds. I also know that I heard a million times on landing that the airbus is not a wing down airplane on landing in crosswinds. Then I had OE on the bus and my check airman had 15k+ hours in the bus and said to forget everything I’ve ever heard in training and to land it like a damn airplane. I think that method works better.

The FAA is one of the few that doesn't allow planned in fight micro naps. There's a ton of research that shows it works, and works well.

Anecdotally based on personal results, I agree 100%. In summary for those who haven't been power pointed to death over this for years, a 30 min power nap and a cup of coffee are the band aids that will truly boost your performance for short duration tasks when fatigued. But only if you take off the fatigue lanyard.

Anecdotally based on personal results, I agree 100%. In summary for those who haven't been power pointed to death over this for years, a 30 min power nap and a cup of coffee are the band aids that will truly boost your performance for short duration tasks when fatigued. But only if you take off the fatigue lanyard.

I gotta agree with the power-nap aspect. I mean, my bloodstream is at least 20% coffee to start with, so I get limited returns on that, but I've also learned that some controlled breathing exercises with a bit of white noise source and I can refresh in about 20-30 minutes. I get somewhere between meditation and actual sleep and I can physically feel the difference when I return to full consciousness.

Gosh, it’s getting late. I’ll be on my way home now, goodnight.

Back to #2

Today there were pretty strong gusty winds out of the North. It was about a 30-40 degree xwind on takeoff from 34R. I thought about what I am doing on the takeoff roll on a 700 and I didn't even miss any calls trying to be conscious of something (go me). I saw that I was balancing the aircrafts tendency to weathervane into the wind and go off centerline to the right with my feet. I could actually feel the roll of the aircraft and balanced it with the ailerons. I tried a bit too much and a bit not enough and I could feel the aircraft when it was perfectly level and balanced. I held that and on rotation the aircraft was perfectly balanced for the wind.

So is it just me or am I feeling the 737 slightly rolling if I don't put the correction in. Like the upwind wing is 1 or 2 degrees higher than the downwind wing. Or am I crazy?

I can actually feel the wings level if I add the slightest amount of aileron into the wind. Not nearly high enough to raise a spoiler but it does "feel" level.

I've been called all kinds of bad things before here so give it your worst.

That's fine.

My problem is guys who START the roll with ailerons already into the wind. This ain't a Cessna 172.

I keep wings level. Above 80 kts, you start to notice that slight roll, exactly as you mentioned. That's when I'll feed a little bit aileron into the wind. Just a bit. Use rudder accordingly. Upon liftoff, I'll feed in more aileron and basically become kinda cross controlled in order not to be tilted in a bad way.

It's a plane. Fly it. Just don't fly it like a Cessna 172.

I got no problem with what you wrote and how you are doing it.

Last edited:
My answers...

1. As CA, I'll write in my own scratchpad the taxi route for unfamiliar airports.

2. See above post.

3. NO texting once you're underway (moving/flying). At gate is fine.

Back