Opinions

Yeah well I’m dumb but I did manage to get through CQ this month so go me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haha that is my next life goal. Not sure how I get to there from here, but I am prepping my • hottest TPC that is infinitely short, yet still hits all the buzzwords.....that's all I need right? And "how'd we do?" at the end?

haha that is my next life goal. Not sure how I get to there from here, but I am prepping my • hottest TPC that is infinitely short, yet still hits all the buzzwords.....that's all I need right? And "how'd we do?" at the end?
Working on type rating #2 and I still catch my self half way through a brief before I remember to ask for threats.

So is it just me or am I feeling the 737 slightly rolling if I don't put the correction in. Like the upwind wing is 1 or 2 degrees higher than the downwind wing. Or am I crazy?

I can confirm this with really stiff crosswinds on the 737NG (700/800/900). As the takeoff roll progresses, you can definitely feel the downwind wing dipping like you mentioned. Its more pronounced than in the MD and Bus I flew prior to it.

So Zap, in particular, what is your thought on #2?

With the caveat that I've never flown an Airbus, I've always felt that an airplane is an airplane. A little aileron into the wind makes a crosswind takeoff in a 737 feel a little less squirrelly. Looks like my view is in the minority though, which is exactly what I came here to find out.

1. Yeah sometimes
2. Yes and admittedly you got me thinking and since I was up with the baby anyway I looked it up. The AOM says small control wheel inputs, as needed, to maintain wings level. Large control wheel inputs can have an adverse effect on directional control near VMCG due to the additional drag of the extended spoilers. The only airplane that I have flown where this was specifically prohibited that I can remember was the Falcon 900. Its been too long since I've flown the Lear but I think I used a bit of correction in that thing but I honestly don't remember.
3. Nope

1. Yeah sometimes
2. Yes and admittedly you got me thinking and since I was up with the baby anyway I looked it up. The AOM says small control wheel inputs, as needed, to maintain wings level. Large control wheel inputs can have an adverse effect on directional control near VMCG due to the additional drag of the extended spoilers. The only airplane that I have flown where this was specifically prohibited that I can remember was the Falcon 900. Its been too long since I've flown the Lear but I think I used a bit of correction in that thing but I honestly don't remember.
3. Nope

Thanks for looking it up. Guess I could’ve done that before I asked. Didn’t expect it to be in there to be honest.

1. Yeah sometimes
3. Nope

I never knew that about the Falcon 900… or maybe I forgot.

I always forget to look at the performance data and ATIS before I read the performance part of the laminate card. It would be cool if I remembered and then didn’t sit there facing away from the captain scrolling like an idiot during the 10 or so seconds that is my brief.

Also they should just make all the data wet data for SE from November through April. Like every leg it’s dry data and I have to brief not forgetting new T/O numbers.

this sounds kinda backward from the little jets I’ve flown. Noted.

Never flown a jet smaller than a B727 so I can’t speak on techniques used on smaller or lighter jets. If adding aileron throughout the takeoff roll helps in your situation then by all means…do what works for you. Just not a big deal for the heavy jets so I smoothly added aileron when I heard “Rotate” and did what was required to keep the wings level. Never got that “skipping” sideways feeling or wing dipping I’d get in smaller planes if aileron wasn’t used during the takeoff roll. Slower rotations while applying aileron helped too.

Conversations about degraded takeoff performance with early aileron/spoiler deflection….meh. I guess it’s about as much as holding the brakes on a Cat shot off an aircraft carrier? I can tell you performance on a MD11, A300, B75/76 was never an issue, especially during max power gusty wind conditions.

Never flown a jet smaller than a B727 so I can’t speak on techniques used on smaller or lighter jets. If adding aileron throughout the takeoff roll helps in your situation then by all means…do what works for you. Just not a big deal for the heavy jets so I smoothly added aileron when I heard “Rotate” and did what was required to keep the wings level. Never got that “skipping” sideways feeling or wing dipping I’d get in smaller planes if aileron wasn’t used during the takeoff roll. Slower rotations while applying aileron helped too.

Conversations about degraded takeoff performance with early aileron/spoiler deflection….meh. I guess it’s about as much as holding the brakes on a Cat shot off an aircraft carrier? I can tell you performance on a MD11, A300, B75/76 was never an issue, especially during max power gusty wind conditions.
I think what’s missing with many of our crews is adding aileron during rotation, so as the airplane unsticks you get a squirrely roll/skip until it crabs onto the wind. You can definitely feel the effects of a crosswind in the 737, and it seems a little aileron helps. But it’s their airplane, not mine, so I’ll follow the AOM guidance and operate it how they want it operated.

1. Don’t mind it if it’s in the center ACARS. I had someone putting every frequency change on their MCDU and I asked them not to just to minimize the chance of a mistake. Our MCDU(FMS) are fire and forget so you could make a change without a confirm prompt.
2. Every crosswind takeoff in my career. To quote the good book
MD11 Training Manual said:
Crosswind Takeoff
Begin the takeoffroll with the control column held slightly forward of neutral,to improve
nosewheeltracking, and the aileron pre-setinto the crosswind. The MD-11/MD-10 tends
toweathervane in a crosswind (takeoff and landing). Thisweathervaning tendency should
be anticipated and corrected with rudder. The upwind wing tends to rise during the
takeoff roll. As the speed increases the flight controls become more effective and the
rudder and aileron deflectionswill need to be decreased.Directional control ismaintained
by smooth control inputs. The resulting cross-control condition must be maintained
through lift-off. Avoid large control wheel oscillations. Use normal rotation procedures
and hold the control wheel in the displaced position to keep wings level during lift-off.
A slow smooth recovery from this cross-control condition is accomplished after lift-off.
3. Haven’t seen it but I would correct immediately.

I can confirm this with really stiff crosswinds on the 737NG (700/800/900). As the takeoff roll progresses, you can definitely feel the downwind wing dipping like you mentioned. Its more pronounced than in the MD and Bus I flew prior to it.

The Jurassic -200 it is noticeable in stiff winds, moreso when lighter weight, but nothing that required any aileron on takeoff roll; only whatever was necessary post liftoff to remain wings level, which wasn’t much anyway.

1. I’ve always written down taxi instructions that have more than a couple turns as an FO. It has definitely saved my butt a few times.

2.Our 767 FTM (Flight Training Manual) states “Smooth rudder control inputs combined with small control wheel inputs result in a normal takeoff with no over controlling. Large control wheel inputs can have an adverse effect on directional control near V1(MCG) due to the additional drag of the extended spoilers”.

I absolutely do notice a difference in how the airplane feels on takeoff when using a little bit of aileron into the wind, and our training department encourages it as long as it’s not a large input.

3.Haven’t seen much PED use at FedEx. I did have a few CAs that were egregious with it at SkyWest, and one FO that I had to talk to about it. Otherwise it’s fortunately not something I’ve seen a lot of.

Now I'm going to screw up this thread by adding number 4 (sorry Zap). This is maybe mostly a night freight thing, I suppose, but you pax guys do redeyes. How about letting the other guy nap in cruise. I was all for that. I was never much of a sleeper and would always offer to the non-flying pilot to take the radios and let them catch a nap. If I was really tired, and NFP, I'd ask if I could shut my eyes for 30 min. I can only mention this now that I'm retired....haha. This was was very commonplace at Brown as long as no management pilots were in the jumpseat.

Now I'm going to screw up this thread by adding number 4 (sorry Zap). This is maybe mostly a night freight thing, I suppose, but you pax guys do redeyes. How about letting the other guy nap in cruise. I was all for that. I was never much of a sleeper and would always offer to the non-flying pilot to take the radios and let them catch a nap. If I was really tired, and NFP, I'd ask if I could shut my eyes for 30 min. I can only mention this now that I'm retired....haha. This was was very commonplace at Brown as long as no management pilots were in the jumpseat.
"Checking the circuit breakers" should formally be allowed on all 121 flights. Especially those frickin' red eyes.

Back