Once a Captain...

Animals, oh come on man! :) People are cool, they buy tickets!

Nah, I rarely gave the full name of the city because oftentimes, a few legs into my day I'd forget.

People are pretty aggressive about the name of the airport though. One day I said, "Greensboro" and some old lady went off the chain and screamed "It's greens-BURRAH damn yankee!"

Umm, yeah, I really wanted to say, "Lady, I don't even know what state I'm in better yet the colloquial pronunciation of the city!"

But alas, I did not.

Have any of you young'ns read "Fate is the Hunter," or is that too "old school" for regional guys nowadays? ;) Ernie Gann talks about this subject early in the book. Back in his day at American, furloughs and downgrades took place, and it was tradition for Captains that were displaced to the right seat to keep their stripes because they earned them. That tradition has faded away over the years, but I think we should stick to it.

:yeahthat: You should post more often. :)

Agreed. That was one of the very few problems I saw with the XJT agreement. Pilots should never have to interview for a position within their own airline unless it's a management pilot position.
Did you read this before or after you went to Gulfstream?

I don't think anyone feels they "need it." It's simply an old tradition, and I'm a fan of tradition.

Let's all remember aviation traditions come from Naval traditions. Makes sense because the Captain is in command of his "ship." Ever wonder why the track line on your EFIS display is magenta? Its because published ship navigation routes are charted with magenta lines.

Similarly, you NEVER see the Officer of the Deck or the Captain on the bridge of a ship without his hat on. Because you have to take reports and give orders followed by salutes.

You know, there's a lot of truth to the hat and coat thing when working out problems.

A lot of the old school captains I fly with always talk about when you've got to go to the gate to work out something, the hat and coat carries much more authority than frosted tips, faded epaulets and forehead-mounted sunglasses! :)

True dat!

In case any of you haven't realized it by now, but when you stroll up to the gate area, the pax are sizing you up 8 ways to Sunday, whether you believe it or not.

Again, very true. First impressions count!

I am a very perceptive person and can feel eyes burning through me every single time I walk up to a gate or through the cabin. If you don't look professional, or act it, you will be treated as such. You need to project a positive, confident image or you'll be toast.

Amen, sing it sister. You know, for someone who has only been in the "biz" for a few months, you've got your stuff together, Q.

As a Southernjets pilot, I do have the say the Navy dressed way better than the Air Force!

I'm going to demand that I fly from the left seat and sign the logbook on my legs after I get downgaded. It's going to be all-some. :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

I like to say the city and state. It also serves as a "destination check", not that anyone really listens. Sometimes I'll throw in facts such as how much fuel we'll use, our takeoff weight, etc. but that's only when I'm feeling really social, which isn't much.

Although I only get to make announcements for the next few weeks, as I too am getting downgraded.

"Atlanta" is all I say. . .you guys are really too nice. . .

What other damn airport in Atlanta do these animals think they are going to? Peachtree-DeKalb? Perhaps Fulton-County?

hah

I still just say "Atlanta Hartsfield." Jackson didn't do jack for Atlanta aviation. His name never should have been added to the airport.

Did you read this before or after you went to Gulfstream?

Long, long after.

I love it (not) when I get to hear the good 'ol boys, southern drawls and all do their full, "Ladies and Gentlemen from the Flaaght Deck, this IS YOUR CAPTAIN.....Welcome aboard flight Ninety three seventy six, with Non-stop service to the George Bush Houston Intercontinental Airport....Then they ramble on about the cruising altitude, the smooth ride, the fine service, the this the that...Oh yeah, and then we get to hear them read an ATIS card. Clouds are scattered at 25000 feet with a temp of 33 centigrade and a dewpoint of 28 centigrade.............WHAT THE?!! What I'm sure of is the ride is not going to be that good, the service will stink unless it's that cute 25 year old FA giving me a lap dance with my coke and if it's summer in Houston, it's going to be hotter than stink out.

Ok...I know...some people like that crap. But let's face it, at least AT LEAST 50% do not listen. Gimme the city where we're going, lemme know how long it'll take us to get there and if you feel the need, tell me if it's raining out there. Thank you.

Wow..rant over. ;-)

Had an XJT give a really nice spiel about how the weather was nice in EWR, but that didn't guarantee an on-time arrival, how long the flight was gonna be, and the FA's name. Then I had to key the mike and say "That was pretty good. Unfortunately that was on ground...."

Had an XJT give a really nice spiel about how the weather was nice in EWR, but that didn't guarantee an on-time arrival, how long the flight was gonna be, and the FA's name. Then I had to key the mike and say "That was pretty good. Unfortunately that was on ground...."

Those that have, those that will.....;)

...ask me how I know these things....

I haven't done that yet...but I have done it the other way around. Finished making a PA (or so I thought), captain said "we were just handed off to Center, go ahead and check in" after I informed him I was back. Forgot to click off of "PA" and decided to let the passengers know we were level at 370.

Those that haven't will, those that have, will again.

But I haven't done it in about year. ;)

The worst I had was when I tested the O2 mask mic by saying "Luke, I am your father" over the PA while there were connecting passengers onboard during a crew swap on the 727.

Have category

The only time I transmitted on the wrong com was on the ground, at the gate in a hub while we were waiting for a jetway driver. I had the PAX button depressed instead of COM 2 for operations.

It was the second or third time I called and since we still had an engine running I still had the headset on and the cockpit door was still shut (so I didn't hear my voice on the PA in the back). We'd been sitting there for 2-3 minutes waiting. Over the PA I said in an irritated voice, "Operations, 2534, we're still waiting on a jetway driver at 112A."

At least the people knew we were trying!

What is it with people going into XNA? For some reason, there is always SOMEBODY who says "well, you didn't mention my town!"

My new PA for down there is...

"...with service to Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport serving Bentonville, Fayetteville, Rogers, Springdale, Highfill and the general area between Tulsa and Fort Smith."

Cue dueling banjos in the background...

I love it (not) when I get to hear the good 'ol boys, southern drawls and all do their full, "Ladies and Gentlemen from the Flaaght Deck, this IS YOUR CAPTAIN.....Welcome aboard flight Ninety three seventy six, with Non-stop service to the George Bush Houston Intercontinental Airport....Then they ramble on about the cruising altitude, the smooth ride, the fine service, the this the that...Oh yeah, and then we get to hear them read an ATIS card. Clouds are scattered at 25000 feet with a temp of 33 centigrade and a dewpoint of 28 centigrade.............WHAT THE?!! What I'm sure of is the ride is not going to be that good, the service will stink unless it's that cute 25 year old FA giving me a lap dance with my coke and if it's summer in Houston, it's going to be hotter than stink out.

Ok...I know...some people like that crap. But let's face it, at least AT LEAST 50% do not listen. Gimme the city where we're going, lemme know how long it'll take us to get there and if you feel the need, tell me if it's raining out there. Thank you.

Wow..rant over. ;-)

I love hearing the wind speed and direction, plus cloud levels. Some scattered clouds at 8000'!?!? Crap, that's going to RUIN my golf game this afternoon!

As far as not listening, sometimes after I make my PA I'll make the Peanuts teacher voice, you know "WAA WAA WAA WAA." I'd say about 80% of my FO's don't get it, I guess I'm getting old.

Those that haven't will, those that have, will again.

But I haven't done it in about year. ;)

The worst I had was when I tested the O2 mask mic by saying "Luke, I am your father" over the PA while there were connecting passengers onboard during a crew swap on the 727.

There's a USAIRZZZZ guy out there that has a mic that makes him sound like Darth Vader, he gets the Luke deal on ramp all the time. Someone I know pretty well accidentally said that to the PAX when he thought he was on ramp freq, apparently it got some laughs in the back.

they're even arguing about which stripes to wear to work. I'm sorry but some folks have COMPLETELY lost sight of what flying is all about.

Sad but at least it gives the OOTSK crowd something to chuckle at.

Exactly. Reminds me of the CAP/ROTC days.

My opinion only--if you're an FO, wear three stripes. Period. Who cares that you 'used to' be a captain? Now to discourage poor planning by the company, I do think once you've upgraded, you should be pay protected as a captain even if you are displaced to the right seat. Otherwise, what's to stop the company from constantly playing musical chairs with their junior captains/senior FOs?

My opinion only--if you're an FO, wear three stripes. Period. Who cares that you 'used to' be a captain? Now to discourage poor planning by the company, I do think once you've upgraded, you should be pay protected as a captain even if you are displaced to the right seat. Otherwise, what's to stop the company from constantly playing musical chairs with their junior captains/senior FOs?

Nobody would want to go back to the left seat if they got pay protected as a capt!! Walk arounds in snow, rain etc stink. But chillin' as an FO is where it's at for relaxation.

Nobody would want to go back to the left seat if they got pay protected as a capt!! Walk arounds in snow, rain etc stink. But chillin' as an FO is where it's at for relaxation.

Speak for yourself. I miss the left seat. Work is much easier and more enjoyable when you set the tone and run the show. It's tough to go back.

Speak for yourself. I miss the left seat. Work is much easier and more enjoyable when you set the tone and run the show. It's tough to go back.

You've obviously never sat right seat in a 3 man airplane. :D There's a reason the F/O can't see the panel.

Best job I've eva had....:bandit:

Back