Once a Captain...

Ah the joys of PA's. To the passengers, thunderstorms are "rain showers", all maintenance being conducted is "routine", it's "good news" when we have a wheels up time (ie spin it...bad news is we're delayed but hey they don't need to think that!!), and when you have to swap into a different airplane because the one you are on broke you're now on the "best and fastest" in the fleet.

I did have an awkward situation the other day though. As we taxied out you could see the storm to the east of the field. Rain just started falling and the wind flipped to a quartering tailwind, still steady and within limits. I elected not to go, wanting to see what would transpose, while another RJ behind us told the tower they were ready and we moved. The PA was a bit awkward - how do you explain to people who just saw another [insert mainline brand] express carrier depart and I'm on the PA saying I realize someone just took off, however I wasn't comfortable departing? So I just said that - I wasn't comfortable departing with the proximity of the storm. They really didn't give us any instruction in upgrade class about that stuff.

I'm with Matt. I'd rather have someone that puts me at ease. 'Guess that's why we're both gunning for the SWA crowd while Todd views them as a "cult." :)

I'll throw this out there...
I rode the tranny this past week BOS-BWI-CLT and I have to say I was very impressed. 2nd tier airline but still looks and feels like it upholds the traditions of the industry. You guys are good peeps Todd.

Above all else I like when a company has a culture about it and it is nice to see the employees embrace it. Southwest definitely has a culture which is different but refreshing at times.

I would have to say that the Tranny guys/gals also have a culture going on.

I really can't explain it. . .except that they are not too full of themselves, where as the Delta guys I grew up around and still occasionally run into are just a little too big headed. Which is fine. . .don't get me wrong, ego's can be a good thing. ;)

Provided some primary instruction to an Air Tran FA many months ago who was a joy to fly with, great attitude about learning how to fly, and about her full time job. She gave the impression that a majority of the employees over there are extremely happy with the company and how it is being ran.

I rode the tranny this past week BOS-BWI-CLT and I have to say I was very impressed. 2nd tier airline but still looks and feels like it upholds the traditions of the industry. You guys are good peeps Todd.

Above all else I like when a company has a culture about it and it is nice to see the employees embrace it. Southwest definitely has a culture which is different but refreshing at times.

:rawk:

:yeahthat: I 100% agree. I love riding on Air Tran. When commuting between MEM to MCO, if possible id rather fly with them on their once a day direct flight then NWA any day of the week.

Back