Once a Captain...

Perhaps if you cared a little MORE about your customer, some of your other goals would fall into place.

Sincerely,
Your Customer.

I have to agree with Zap here. Customer service at the airline is HORRIBLE. Like it or not, we're in a customer service position. All it might take is 30 seconds chatting while picking up the paper work with a customer that's at the gate waiting on the gate agent to finally show up. A "So where are you going?" while folding the paperwork goes a long way to showing the customer you care. Even if you don't, it gives the appearance of it at least.

Richard Branson's best quote yet (not word for word)..."We wouldn't be in business today if our customer service was that of any US airline".

So are any ASA people gonna find out who that clown was and give him a hard time for me? 4425 on the 16th.

You could tell him that his PA was cutting out and, according to one of the pax, he said his name was Captain Xena, the Warrior Princess.

Perhaps if you cared a little MORE about your customer, some of your other goals would fall into place.

Sincerely,
Your Customer.

No offense, but this is a statement from customers that bothers me the most. The thing is, I DO care. I care a lot about the customer, their experience with our airline, and their well being. Not just their safety, which is of course my first priority, but also that they are comfortable and have a good travel experience.

However, my influence is minute in the grand scheme of things. I have no control over the line at the ticket counter. I do not control the attitude of the ticket agent who takes your checked baggage. I definitely do not control the TSA checkpoint. I do not tell operations to make a gate change between two terminals. I do not tell the gate agent to have a bad attitude and hide in the breakroom until 30 minutes prior to departure. I get the customers after ALL these things... If they have a bad experience prior to this, it makes it just that more difficult for me to ensure they have a good experience with us as a crew. This is why I want to work for a company that offers outstanding customer service BEFORE the airplane is boarded.

You won't find me making "XENA" announcements, but you bet I use light humor to relax the customers. Even as a professional, you can use humor to make things better. I look at it this way: If you were about to go into surgery, would you want a doctor who was stiff and "all business," or someone who used light humor to relax you? I'd want the latter... When I encounter stress, I find humor helps relieve it. You can take it too far, but I think you can take "seriousness" and "business" too far as well.

No offense, but this is a statement from customers that bothers me the most. The thing is, I DO care. I care a lot about the customer, their experience with our airline, and their well being. Not just their safety, which is of course my first priority, but also that they are comfortable and have a good travel experience.

However, my influence is minute in the grand scheme of things. I have no control over the line at the ticket counter. I do not control the attitude of the ticket agent who takes your checked baggage. I definitely do not control the TSA checkpoint. I do not tell operations to make a gate change between two terminals. I do not tell the gate agent to have a bad attitude and hide in the breakroom until 30 minutes prior to departure. I get the customers after ALL these things... If they have a bad experience prior to this, it makes it just that more difficult for me to ensure they have a good experience with us as a crew. This is why I want to work for a company that offers outstanding customer service BEFORE the airplane is boarded.

You won't find me making "XENA" announcements, but you bet I use light humor to relax the customers. Even as a professional, you can use humor to make things better. I look at it this way: If you were about to go into surgery, would you want a doctor who was stiff and "all business," or someone who used light humor to relax you? I'd want the latter... When I encounter stress, I find humor helps relieve it. You can take it too far, but I think you can take "seriousness" and "business" too far as well.

Amen, brother!

Hey, Matt----do you have control of the weather? :p ;)

Amen, brother!

Hey, Matt----do you have control of the weather? :p ;)

I love that one. I once encountered an irate passenger at the counter in Boston. He was harassing some poor gate agent because the flight to NYC was delayed for weather.

"The weather is nice here. My friend in NYC says it's fine there..."

I was forced to explain that airplanes don't teleport- we actually have to travel the space in between two places, and that was where the weather was. Since ATC made the decision anyhow, it wasn't up to any of us.

I don't think it satisfied him, but it shut him up.

:rolleyes:

I love that one. I once encountered an irate passenger at the counter in Boston. He was harassing some poor gate agent because the flight to NYC was delayed for weather.

"The weather is nice here. My friend in NYC says it's fine there..."

I was forced to explain that airplanes don't teleport- we actually have to travel the space in between two places, and that was where the weather was. Since ATC made the decision anyhow, it wasn't up to any of us.

I don't think it satisfied him, but it shut him up.

:rolleyes:

You're lucky! We have the same thing happen to us but instead of shutting up, we get asked, "well, why don't they just fly around the storm?" At that point, I usually call my CA who will come on the PA and explain how it's not up to them to just take off and "go around the storm." It's a little more involved than that. Funny how most of the time the pax will shut up and just nod when hearing his voice, but when we try to tell them the same thing, we just get that funny look from the pax.

We had an incident last week and I was threatened with "you can't hold us hostage on this plane for much longer!" "I'm calling 911." I politely said they were free to do whatever they wanted, but that the PA police wouldn't be very amused if they came out to our plane and THAT was the emergency. Other pax bitched and moaned about wanting to go back to the gate to stretch their legs and get something to eat." Yeah, sure.....
Irony in the whole thing was that we DID end up going back to the gate when CO decided to cancel the flight right at the same time the CA got the word from ATC that we were cleared to start our engines again! Had to smile at that one---reminded me of the saying, be careful what you wish for---you just might get it! Talk about poetic justice!!:D

If you were about to go into surgery, would you want a doctor who was stiff and "all business," or someone who used light humor to relax you? I'd want the latter...

To each his own. I prefer a doctor who's all business. I'm friendly with the pax, but I don't crack jokes. Some of the pax are already very uneasy about flying, and they get even more uneasy when they think some clown is flying their plane.

Ouch, Todd--I love ya, but that's a bit harsh. I don't think Matt was talking about donning a multicolored outlandish wig, big red nose, clown shoes and a bicycle horn. ;)
I've never met him, but would imagine he uses subtle humor just to put people in a bit of a better mood when everything is turning to crap. :)
As a FA, I appreciate it when we're having a horrific day and the pax are on the verge of "losing it" and the CA responds by talking to them and being totally honest and a bit humorous in calming them down for us a bit. :rawk:

I wasn't talking about Matt. I'm talking more about the guys that take it a bit too far. Subtle humor is one thing, but some guys take it to extremes.

Ah, gotcha! Kind of like how I feel about SouthWest's announcements. I have a great sense of humor, but find some of their announcements very unprofessional...and just a bit over-the-top. Don't even get me started on their ridiculous uniforms. Ugh. :rolleyes:

Ah, gotcha! Kind of like how I feel about SouthWest's announcements. I have a great sense of humor, but find some of their announcements very unprofessional...and just a bit over-the-top. Don't even get me started on their ridiculous uniforms. Ugh. :rolleyes:

Exactly!

I got a good laugh out of something one of our FAs said last year when rumors were swirling about us merging with SWA: "but.....I don't wanna dress like a camp counselor." :)

"Camp Counselor"----that's rich!! :laff: I'm sorry, but that uniform is NOT flattering on anyone. :whatever:

Then sign me up for this camp...

Back