Once a Captain...

All branches of the military routinely change their uniform standards. Predictably, every time they do the old timers whine about a lack of standards or a gross move from the traditional. A few years later, everyone forgets about it and adapts. Anyone remember when the Army went to black berets? My god you'd think they told us all to wear high heels with the reactions people had.

The military also leaves little to choice. They say to wear hats (outdoors only!) and so hats are worn. Pretty simple, really.

I'm no airline pilot, so feel free to immediately discount what I say (heck, I probably would), but a "professional look" is ever evolving. Seems sort of silly to argue what is professional for a profession comprised of many, many individual companies who have the discretion to pick and choose how much of a navy boat captain they feel you should look.

Three stripes or four, hat or no hat, blazer or leather jacket - it's all made up. You aren't the police, you aren't the military. You are a labor force for a company. Might as well argue if package delivery people should wear a fedex or a UPS type uniform.

OUCH.....that hurts...but sometimes the truth does! ;)

If you REALLY want to stand out in the crowd, you'd wear the hat.:)
funny, I've never been mistaken for a flight attendant . . . :D SO . . .if it were the truth (black and white . . .cut and dried) then it would most likely sting.

I have my hat on order, but it hasn't arrived yet.

One of my favorite mentor captains would, whenever he got out of the flight deck to handle a problem would put his hat on. He said that people reacted to the hat and it made most "negotiations, shall we say?;) " work out much more effectively.

My point is that there are many more improtant issues, and measures of professionalism than the hat.

And frankly, I certainly I don't need the hat to exert my natual authority.:D

funny, I've never been mistaken for a flight attendant . . .

Yeah yeah, blah blah blah, a coke zero, no ice and shake a leg, toots, they're about to bring the final paperwork down! Hey, some of that snack mix too. I got the hankerin' for that melba toast.

Yeah yeah, blah blah blah, a coke zero, no ice and shake a leg, toots, they're about to bring the final paperwork down! Hey, some of that snack mix too. I got the hankerin' for that melba toast.
all right allright aalready, I've been mistaken for a flight attendant once

would you like some butter on that toast hon?

funny, I've never been mistaken for a flight attendant . . . :D SO . . .if it were the truth (black and white . . .cut and dried) then it would most likely sting.

I have my hat on order, but it hasn't arrived yet.

One of my favorite mentor captains would, whenever he got out of the flight deck to handle a problem would put his hat on. He said that people reacted to the hat and it made most "negotiations, shall we say?;) " work out much more effectively.

My point is that there are many more improtant issues, and measures of professionalism than the hat.

And frankly, I certainly I don't need the hat to exert my natual authority.:D

Agreed, Dale, but you forget (ok, maybe not!:p) that you're alot older and more mature looking than some of your counterparts, no? I don't have to tell you how young and young-looking many of your (and my) co-workers are. ;)

As a paying passenger for the last 3+ years I can tell you that the flight crew who walks to the gate with their jackets and hats on, clean cut, shoes polished, with no I-pods, backpacks, or frosted tips in sight really look professional to me.

And as they say, first impressions are everything. If you make the impression of excellence that is how your passengers (and by proxy your employer) will view you.

If you look like a slob, I don't care if you're the second coming of Chuck Yeager, your passengers will think your work is sloppy too.

That includes you DJ wanna-bes who call my home airport "Xena" on the PA. Clever, but not cool.

it was tradition for Captains that were displaced to the right seat to keep their stripes because they earned them. That tradition has faded away over the years, but I think we should stick to it.

If you need another stripe on your shoulder to validate yourself...that's sad.

You know you earned it...isn't that good enough?

You know, there's a lot of truth to the hat and coat thing when working out problems.

A lot of the old school captains I fly with always talk about when you've got to go to the gate to work out something, the hat and coat carries much more authority than frosted tips, faded epaulets and forehead-mounted sunglasses! :)

sunglass.gif

I don't think anyone feels they "need it." It's simply an old tradition, and I'm a fan of tradition.

You're such an old fart! :sarcasm: :p Guess that makes me one as well!

In case any of you haven't realized it by now, but when you stroll up to the gate area, the pax are sizing you up 8 ways to Sunday, whether you believe it or not. (Not just the pilots, but the FA's as well.) Many of you seem to forget that more than a few pax are not particularly enamored of the flying experience and if they think for a second you're unprofessional or not serious about your job, they will have a very bad impression of you, your company and the airline industry in general. Why give them ANY excuse to validate that impression?

I am a very perceptive person and can feel eyes burning through me every single time I walk up to a gate or through the cabin. If you don't look professional, or act it, you will be treated as such. You need to project a positive, confident image or you'll be toast. Trust me on that one. The pax need to know who's in charge (and no, it's not THEM, since they paid their $99 for a ticket!) :D

OK, rant over...:)

Seriously? There are actually guys that do this? They do realize that most passengers probably don't even know the airport ID is XNA, right?

Yeah. Can't tell you how much I love ASA. Not as though I really expect them to say, "Bentonville, Rogers, Springdale, Fayetteville airport..." but XENA?

How about "Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport". That's what it says on the approach plate. (guess i'm one of those old cranky customers that likes airline pilots to look and act professional when i'm spending $450 per ticket)

Ok, the Wally World stuff is in the Lav now.

*seatbelt sign off*

(Ain't that just magic? :) )

What is it with people going into XNA? For some reason, there is always SOMEBODY who says "well, you didn't mention my town!"

My new PA for down there is...

"...with service to Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport serving Bentonville, Fayetteville, Rogers, Springdale, Highfill and the general area between Tulsa and Fort Smith."

They don't like it you didn't mention their little po-dunk town?

Puh-leaze. These guys are really starting to expect a lot for the increase in ticket prices huh. . .:rolleyes:

Northwest Arkansas Regional is good enough in my book - or if they really want something personal "Wal-Mart's home."

Santa Ana Orange County John Wayne? :)

Cincinnati Northern Kentucky International Airport? :)

Atlanta Hartsfield Jackson International Worldport (Know how bad "worldport" sounds in a southern accent? Woo!)

"Atlanta" is all I say. . .you guys are really too nice. . .

What other damn airport in Atlanta do these animals think they are going to? Peachtree-DeKalb? Perhaps Fulton-County?

hah

Back