Oh SWA…how many is this?

Dropping the brake and sitting there drinking coffee while everyone else is losing their mind trying to depart is definitely the correct move.

One of the benefits of being in the left seat. Rode through many "git'er done" modes in the right seat, where even a well deserved "I told you so" was uncomfortable. With as many easy buttons to push as there are, it still amazing how many people want to go all hard mode.

As an FO, I reminded CAs that we get paid by the minute more often than I should have. As a CA, I have reminded FOs that we get paid by the minute, more often than I should have. Nothing is worth rushing over...
I flew with one dude who I should have definitely piped up more with. By the end of day 4 I was legit afraid he was going to get us in trouble either rushing or throwing a tantrum about something

One of the benefits of being in the left seat. Rode through many "git'er done" modes in the right seat, where even a well deserved "I told you so" was uncomfortable. With as many easy buttons to push as there are, it still amazing how many people want to go all hard mode.
I like to think I'm a decent FO, glad to help with anything anytime things go wrong, but that willingness wanes rapidly when the left seat is causing his or her own helmet fire. "Lemme know if you need anything" then go back to looking out the window. Like a reverse uno card, or a check And balance, if you will. It can be hard to not get sucked in to that vibe.

I say this all as someone who caused his own helmet fires early on in the left seat a couple times.

I flew with one dude who I should have definitely piped up more with. By the end of day 4 I was legit afraid he was going to get us in trouble either rushing or throwing a tantrum about something

Don't get me wrong, I will go for D0 and try to keep the operation on time as much as I can, but when something needs attention and everyone else is worried, I just say put the delay on me and its allllllllll good. Getting flustered, rushing, and operating frantically is a feeling I really hate. I hate being rushed and I hate feeling rushed.

I like to think I'm a decent FO, glad to help with anything anytime things go wrong, but that willingness wanes rapidly when the left seat is causing his or her own helmet fire. "Lemme know if you need anything" then go back to looking out the window. Like a reverse uno card, or a check And balance, if you will. It can be hard to not get sucked in to that vibe.

I say this all as someone who caused his own helmet fires early on in the left seat a couple times.
See, i was a captain for a good while 135 and I thought I got pretty good at pacing myself and my crew, even when we were (at least once in a while) literally saving a life, but as an ultra FNG I still find it hard to have the confidence to speak up on occasion.

See, i was a captain for a good while 135 and I thought I got pretty good at pacing myself and my crew, even when we were (at least once in a while) literally saving a life, but as an ultra FNG I still find it hard to have the confidence to speak up on occasion.

Well, as a CA I will tell you I welcome any speaking up. In the heat of stuff going wrong or when we get saturated it is hard to keep a clear mind and recognize when somebody needs a safety pause. I LOVE it when an FO tells me they need a minute. I try to ask if anyone needs a safety pause when crap is hitting the fan but if I forget I really love it when an FA or FO says that they feel uncomfortable, unsafe, or feel rushed about anything and everything.

Pilots need to be better at monitoring the other person and not overloading them. I used to get pretty salty at the regionals when a captain wouldn’t let me start the other engine when I suggested it and would be barreling towards the runway like a southwest pilot.

Quoted for gospel.

Pilots need to be better at monitoring the other person and not overloading them. I used to get pretty salty at the regionals when a captain wouldn’t let me start the other engine when I suggested it and would be barreling towards the runway like a southwest pilot.
Captain challenge: don’t call for engine 1 start in the middle of the FO talking on the radio. Difficulty level impossible

Please speak up. If it isn't received well that's not on you.

I’m curious about the dispatch paperwork (not pointing any fingers). Do your shops include runway analysis or performance numbers for runways that are unavailable at the planned departure time?
I’m pretty sure that if everything is working and up to date, a request for a closed surface comes back with “runway not available” or some equivalent flamage. Usually whatever runway is on the pre-push message is accurate, though on occasion you need to either 1) request the runway position with the conditions you need or 2) ask local operations to update their data to get the correct field conditions.

IMS, AeroData would give you a “you can’t do that” too as long as (big if) everyone and everything behind the scenes was up to date.

I also seem to remember Southwest using onboard performance computers the last time (a while) I rode up front, so that might not be a thing there.

My fleet spends a relatively lot of time in the non-towered environment. Fortunately, my previous lives had a super solid background in non-towered and non-radar environments, and my personal flying has kept me up to speed as well.

You HAVE to bring your "A" game, which can be a challenge at 0500. What is an easy departure at noon with the tower open becomes an unwieldy mess at 0500 with de-icing, plowing, random NOTAMs, getting clearances/releases from the RCO, etc. And that's assuming no other traffic. Not only are there plenty of challenges, but it really can get you out of your groove.

121 adds whole layers of additional drama. What would have been no big deal in a Bonanza turns into a complicated mess 121. You have to slow down, check the boxes, have both people in the loop and paying attention. If your partner isn't super up to date on non-tower ops, you need to slow to a crawl and make sure they're with the program.
Adequately experienced Brasilia pilots, oh, never mind

Back