Oh SWA…how many is this?

Interesting here. Two other aircraft taxiing out for departure, on CTAF and advising taxiing to the open runway and crossing the closed runway, even saying “closed runway” in their transmissions. SWA was in with Boston center getting their clearance. Not sure why they couldn’t monitor two freqs at once. Tower saw what was going on and attempted to make an advisory call, but SWA wasn’t on freq. Boston center queried the crew after takeoff and they knew about the closed runway.

View: https://x.com/thenewarea51/status/1806686571997061489?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR19j3883TeRWuE49OlEDJrcEnl0-q5Mz4kfS9qJxhqkq2Y-rWPVLZoCQgk_aem_0ZQ0DD2L0CEVZwgN8zppDA

Interesting here. Two other aircraft taxiing out for departure, on CTAF and advising taxiing to the open runway and crossing the closed runway, even saying “closed runway” in their transmissions. SWA was in with Boston center getting their clearance. Not sure why they couldn’t monitor two freqs at once. Tower saw what was going on and attempted to make an advisory call, but SWA wasn’t on freq. Boston center queried the crew after takeoff and they knew about the closed runway.

View: https://x.com/thenewarea51/status/1806686571997061489?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR19j3883TeRWuE49OlEDJrcEnl0-q5Mz4kfS9qJxhqkq2Y-rWPVLZoCQgk_aem_0ZQ0DD2L0CEVZwgN8zppDA
Not sure how SWA does it but the way most dudes at Proudly All Boeing run radios it would be pretty unusual to have #2 tuned to anything other than ops or guard

Not sure how SWA does it but the way most dudes at Proudly All Boeing run radios it would be pretty unusual to have #2 tuned to anything other than ops or guard

You’re not allowed to off-tune them for one-time use as needed, then go back to ops or guard?

You’re not allowed to off-tune them for one-time use as needed, then go back to ops or guard?
AFAIK you absolutely are allowed to, but just the habit of most everyone is to not. Of course at my base and seniority we don’t fly to many non towered airports.

NOTAM format. Just a bunch of garbage. Straight from the NTSB.

How about simple, plain English. Runway - closed until 545am - do not takeoff until afterwards.
Exactly! Nobody is using teletype machines anymore. We don't need the pages and pages of coded garbage, much of which isn't even applicable to the flight you're operating

Ramp on 1, ground on 1 standby.

Ops on 2, dept freq on standby 2.

Have to call clearance? Grab it on 2 (unless note about using a better antenna for better reception like EWR).

I don’t know why that’s hard. :)

I guess I could look it up. Do you have a pic of international standard NOTAM from a flight you’re doing? How much difference is there?
US Domestic NOTAM format..

!LAS 06/140 LAS NAV ILS RWY 26R U/S 2407011500-2407012300

ICAO Standard NOTAM format..

280927 EUECYIYN
(A1917/24 NOTAMN
Q)KZLA/QICAS/I/NBO/A/000/999/3605N11509W005
A)KLAS B)2407011500 C)2407012300
E)LAS NAV ILS RWY 26R U/S)

It looks more complicated on the surface, but the Q codes are standardized and allow for filtering for relevance.

Sorry ASOS or AWOS. At the end of the automated wx there’s always the recording pertaining to ATC hours and pertinent NOTAMs.

I’m trying to remember, but I’m pretty sure all you get are tower hours of operation. No NOTAMS. That said you’d also check on with JNU radio, for example and they’d give you some intel. Obviously PWM doesn’t have FSS on site, so your only hope of someone telling you the runway is closed is through center, and probably only then if you tell them you’re planning on departing said runway when you get your clearance.

US Domestic NOTAM format..

!LAS 06/140 LAS NAV ILS RWY 26R U/S 2407011500-2407012300

ICAO Standard NOTAM format..

280927 EUECYIYN
(A1917/24 NOTAMN
Q)KZLA/QICAS/I/NBO/A/000/999/3605N11509W005
A)KLAS B)2407011500 C)2407012300
E)LAS NAV ILS RWY 26R U/S)

It looks more complicated on the surface, but the Q codes are standardized and allow for filtering for relevance.

Oh that. Ok, I’ve seen that for Mexico.

Sorry, I’m not wanting to trade one sentence for an entire damn paragraph.

I want under an Approach notam section:

ILS 26R is out! On July 1 from 15z to 23Z.

Done. Just simple, pure English.

NOTAM format. Just a bunch of garbage. Straight from the NTSB.

How about simple, plain English. Runway - closed until 545am - do not takeoff until afterwards.
Or how about not posting 9 pages of them when 90% of them are useless information about a crane 2 miles away from the airport

Although maybe Southwest needs those NOTAMS since they like to fly a few hundred feet above the ground miles away

Back