Oh SWA…how many is this?

What is stand off mode?
1721537445186.png

I'll admit I searched this in my manuals (And Google) And found exactly nothing
Yeah, I did too. Read through ILS/LOC approaches, navigation, auto flight, and flight instruments and nothing similar. I’ll be at the training center today so I’ll ask about it and will try it out in the sim.

Yeah, I did too. Read through ILS/LOC approaches, navigation, auto flight, and flight instruments and nothing similar. I’ll be at the training center today so I’ll ask about it and will try it out in the sim.
It’s not a mode really, and I wonder if stand-off is a company made up term. The FD on the PFD will only command up to 8° bank in app mode. If you are uncoordinated enough, you can be at the bank limit and not be correcting back on course. So you’ll be flying centered up on the FD but the loc is drifting further off. One thing I do on those (besides zero out the trim) is set the heading bug to the app course, then I can see with the ground track line on the heading indicator whether im actually tracking toward the course or not. Useful on a no FD approach too when you’re used to having an HSI in your PFD and you miss it on the Boeing. Apparently the HUD will do up to 25° in app mode so much less of an issue in the left seat.

I'll admit I searched this in my manuals (And Google) And found exactly nothing

It could be that our (wonderful and amazing) training department created their own vernacular for a flight director mode. That is of course known everywhere else in the industry as something completely different.

There is a track indication at the top of the ND. I find that it works great with both or single engine on approaches. Match the track with the loc course while the LOC diamond is centered. Even inside the FAP single engine you will notice a 1 degree difference and can make a slight correction. I use it all the time if there is a crosswind as well, I just put that in my scan.

There is a track indication at the top of the ND. I find that it works great with both or single engine on approaches. Match the track with the loc course while the LOC diamond is centered. Even inside the FAP single engine you will notice a 1 degree difference and can make a slight correction. I use it all the time if there is a crosswind as well, I just put that in my scan.
you said fap

With gigabit internet access widely available this one of the best times in modern history to, well, you know,,,

1 gigabit symmetrical fibre to the house (not the block or the curb).

Now I have to pony up the $5k to build a rig to take advantage of it.

Back