Oh SWA…how many is this?

There's a request box where your request goes. You don't get to enter the request box unless you put it on request. Duh. Fun fact, when you put an alt request into CPDLC, ATC actually reads it as "XX541 would like to put FL360 on request for performance" :)

I tried to use it for a fix and a route and the controller sounded appreciative of my efforts to say as little as possible on the radio but let me know those functions don't work yet.

You forgot to begin the whole thing with “Annnnnd…center/approach/tower.”

I don’t know why the heck some people start transmissions with “and”?
:)

When I asked my P38/F86, WW2 and Korean vet CFI that when I was a kid, he said it was a carry-over from when the radios used to have to warm up before they would transmit.

So you'd key the transmitter (aaaaaaaannnnnnnnnn)"dd center this is 1234AB".

It made sense but it is still annoying AF.

Back in the 80's, student pilot Derg, Piper Tomahawk and my CFI would belittle me for saying "with you" — how millionaire adults can't figure out they're wasting bandwidth befuddles me.
Almost busted a Private Pilot Stage Check at the Harvard of the Skies - Florida Campus for saying "with you". Never said it again.

I loathe it when people say "put on request". Just request the damn thing.
"We'd like to put XXX on request."

Well then just f'ing do it!!

Also, I believe I said this in another thread, but when you're talking to your OWN company's ramp tower, you DO NOT, under any circumstances, need to state your airline in your radio transmission!!

I tried to use it for a fix and a route and the controller sounded appreciative of my efforts to say as little as possible on the radio but let me know those functions don't work yet.

Good to know. It has been exponential growth in terms of center usage across the US, hopefully the functionality will increase as well. I'm probably at least the treasurer of the CPDLC fan club

Also, I believe I said this in another thread, but when you're talking to your OWN company's ramp tower, you DO NOT, under any circumstances, need to state your airline in your radio transmission!!

This is something I can get behind. Also applies to OPS. Perhaps especially OPS.

When I asked my P38/F86, WW2 and Korean vet CFI that when I was a kid, he said it was a carry-over from when the radios used to have to warm up before they would transmit.

So you'd key the transmitter (aaaaaaaannnnnnnnnn)"dd center this is 1234AB".

It made sense but it is still annoying AF.

Our HF radios are like that. Not sure if all are like that as the 747 ones are the only ones I’ve used. But there’s a definite delay from when you hit the PTT and the airplane decides to share your words with the world

This is something I can get behind. Also applies to OPS. Perhaps especially OPS.

Don't murder me......have made this mistake before and then immediately regretted it. I've also said "see you at E4" and then a smart (a**) CA said "no you won't " :)

I’m just a spectator on this one, but “one path through the system” prevents a lot of errors from occurring, whether you’re talking to center, company ramp, or asking a fiberglass clown head for a cheeseburger.

I was thinking about how Boeing used to install switches on the overhead panel to customer preference (up is either on or off, depending), and how much extra documentation, worker distraction and QA re-work that must have generated (err, at least back in the day).

I’m just a spectator on this one, but “one path through the system” prevents a lot of errors from occurring, whether you’re talking to center, company ramp, or asking a fiberglass clown head for a cheeseburger.

I was thinking about how Boeing used to install switches on the overhead panel to customer preference (up is either on or off, depending), and how much extra documentation, worker distraction and QA re-work that must have generated (err, at least back in the day).

Airbus as well, but there's only a small handful of switches.

I wish yall would spend less time focusing on what other people are saying and more time correcting what they aren’t saying. Things like checking in with the ATIS, or what altitude you’re climbing out of/descending to, or if you do check in with the ATIS acting surprised that the approach you get vectored to is the same one on the ATIS you checked in with and not the one on the previous hours ATIS. (Seriously this one happens all the damn time. ATIS A says ILS 22L, ATIS B says ILS 4R. You check in with B. I say go direct GRITY. You say “wait we’re landing 4R now?” Uh, yeah.)

Personally I couldn’t care less if you check in with with you or say “and” at the beginning of a transmission. Just don’t say Kilo.

Don't murder me......have made this mistake before and then immediately regretted it. I've also said "see you at E4" and then a smart (a**) CA said "no you won't " :)

If we were flying together the only thing you’d get slapped for is “on deck”. The rest would elicit intense side eye.

Back