Oh SWA…how many is this?

I wish yall would spend less time focusing on what other people are saying and more time correcting what they aren’t saying. Things like checking in with the ATIS, or what altitude you’re climbing out of/descending to, or if you do check in with the ATIS acting surprised that the approach you get vectored to is the same one on the ATIS you checked in with and not the one on the previous hours ATIS. (Seriously this one happens all the damn time. ATIS A says ILS 22L, ATIS B says ILS 4R. You check in with B. I say go direct GRITY. You say “wait we’re landing 4R now?” Uh, yeah.)

Personally I couldn’t care less if you check in with with you or say “and” at the beginning of a transmission. Just don’t say Kilo.
I promise to always check in with ATIS but 43.69% of the time I get asked if I have the atis code I just gave.

This is a weird thing to be angry about considering literally all the other radio calls we make we use the full callsign. Also, how many airports do you actually have your own ramp tower? Probably just the fortress hubs right?
When there are around 100 of us leaving at exactly the same time, it adds unnecessary frequency congestion. The COMPANY employee working in the ramp tower knows what airline is calling him. Be brief.

This is something I can get behind. Also applies to OPS. Perhaps especially OPS.
I’m far too lazy to adjust my radio etiquette for just one of a dozen radio facilities I talk to on a given leg, plus calling ops to report on the ground is a waste of time and distraction more often than it’s useful #changemymind #youcant

When there are around 100 of us leaving at exactly the same time, it adds unnecessary frequency congestion. The COMPANY employee working in the ramp tower knows what airline is calling him. Be brief.
Considering the kind of radio etiquette i hear literally every trip, this seems like an oddly specific windmill to tilt at re: radio brevity

I’m far too lazy to adjust my radio etiquette for just one of a dozen radio facilities I talk to on a given leg, plus calling ops to report on the ground is a waste of time and distraction more often than it’s useful #changemymind #youcant
Ramp responds without the callsign, it's just a minor annoyance. Nothing like people putting paper on the pedestal or eating tuna in the cockpit.

I got debriefed on that when I was an because I didn't use the company callsign. From that point forward I made it a point under no circumstances would I ever say it just in case that clown might be listening.

Screenshot 2024-07-08 at 17.47.38.png

Don't murder me......have made this mistake before and then immediately regretted it. I've also said "see you at E4" and then a smart (a**) CA said "no you won't " :)
Better than half the time Ops are the ones saying they’ll see us at the gate, so I really don’t think anyone cares. Plus at some of the outstations it might actually be the same people.

Also, that kind of captain reply has big veteran lanyard and flag tie energy.

Meh. I can barely remember my own name after a 14 hour leg. If I say "UPS 69" to some dude wearing brown short-shorts in whatever trailer they provide, too bad, so sad. That's like .32 seconds of me giving him/her respite from people with real problems. They should thank me.

Same… err, similar. My brain is weird and I have to literally try to forget things. I'll start out by using my last flights callsign. Like it was 171 on the way back over, I'll head to Shanghai this weekend and it'll be "1-7-0, I mean SouthernJets 3-8-9" for at least seven of those 13 hours and it's literally on the top of the MFD staring at me"

Same… err, similar. My brain is weird and I have to literally try to forget things. I'll start out by using my last flights callsign. Like it was 171 on the way back over, I'll head to Shanghai this weekend and it'll be "1-7-0, I mean SouthernJets 3-8-9" for at least seven of those 13 hours and it's literally on the top of the MFD staring at me"
Do you ever have one of those legs where for some stupid reason the flight number just doesn’t stick and or doesn’t come out right the whole leg, or is that just me?

Do you ever have one of those legs where for some stupid reason the flight number just doesn’t stick and or doesn’t come out right the whole leg, or is that just me?

Domestic? All the darned time. International? Not so much.

I used to put a sticky note on the glare shield so I'd use the correct flight number. It's a curse, as my brain on approach goes "Oh, that's inbound from Phoenix, oh, Athens is late today, that guy sounds too damned old for an inbound from Jacksonville, I wonder is that still a 319?" and I hate it.

Also, I believe I said this in another thread, but when you're talking to your OWN company's ramp tower, you DO NOT, under any circumstances, need to state your airline in your radio transmission!!

I got debriefed on that when I was an FO because I didn't use the company callsign. From that point forward I made it a point under no circumstances would I ever say it just in case that clown might be listening.

Don’t know if MEM FedEx ramp has only Fedex but AS ramp at LAX, a plane could be Alaska, Horizon, or Skywest. Saying just the digits on AS ramp is going to get a quizzical huh?

If we’re in JNU and you call up ops with “Juneau Ops, Alaska 70” I’ll strike you. Do you wanna get striked!?

Back