Oh Delta XLIV

I'd imagine it is, I've never had to functionally check the ability of an aircrafts windshield to shed/bead distilled water on an airplane equipped with wipers, do CRJ's have them?

They do! But they seem useless. The only thing they seem to excel at is catching bird carcasses.

Also, since this is a delta thread…I haven’t spent a lot of time on airplanes in the last 2.5yrs but today I saw a delta a220 for the first time.

That is a damn good looking airplane. Maybe not as attractive as a 757 and certainly not as sexy as it’s grandparent the CRJ200, but I think it’s easily the best looking aircraft in production now.

Shouldn’t matter?

If FDAS switch is off, door should open. If switch armed and door closed, input the code and gain entry in 60 seconds.

Apparently that part malfunctioned. Couldn’t get into plane. Removing all electrical power from plane should unlock it, that apparently didn’t work either.

FO side window opens from outside, pilot first tries to go in feet first. Discovers lower back won’t fit through. Gets out with help from other pilot, then goes in head first. All the while, either could have fallen and been hurt/killed from the drop off the belt loader.

Easiest solution: “Hi Maintenance, the cockpit door won’t open. Can you send someone over to fix? Thank you!”

Go to terminal, grab coffee, relax.

just use the alternate ground access release button for the door, in the panel underneath the right wing next to the #5 (right wing tank, first inboard) fuel drip stick access location.

They do! But they seem useless. The only thing they seem to excel at is catching bird carcasses.

Also, since this is a delta thread…I haven’t spent a lot of time on airplanes in the last 2.5yrs but today I saw a delta a220 for the first time.

That is a damn good looking airplane. Maybe not as attractive as a 757 and certainly not as sexy as it’s grandparent the CRJ200, but I think it’s easily the best looking aircraft in production now.

been wanting to see an A220, but I haven’t so far in person. Im not sure if any are on routes out to PHX/TUS.

The 787 would like to have a conversation with you.

I don't think I've ever heard of a jet with outstanding windshield wipers. I think the coating is more for taxiing. It's hard to taxi at dawn/dusk or at night in a constant mist without one or the other, it's not drizzle or rain, but it just covers the outside of the windshield. The coating, if properly maintained, actually works better than wipers. But it costs money, there's a short term application that only takes a couple of hours and, relatively speaking, is cheap. But it doesn't last very long, certainly not until the next MX inspection. The real application requires some equipment, some time and more money, but it will last until the airplane is down again for a more extensive inspection. The windshields are inspected with different criteria based on the last inspection. If someone is cheap, they'll apply the cheap stuff, it'll pass the inspection, and then become ineffective during the next small inspection between heavier inspections and end up having to do it right anyways halfway between the their last and next inspection at a time when the airplane is not supposed to be down for MX. And then the owner gets mad because his airplane is grounded and MX is trying to screw him over. Story of my life.

I don't think I've ever heard of a jet with outstanding windshield wipers.

The CRJ has awesome windshield wipers. I had no idea how good they were until I went to the 717. The airbus has ok wipers, but not overly helpful. You can spray rain goo on the windshield in flight with mixed results.

In the ATR in the Caribbean it was SOP at the end of a trip for whoever had the tightest commute to pop open the forward cargo door, drop down the 5-6’ and truck it to their flight the second the props stopped spinning. Must have been some sprained ankles at some point but probably no regrets.

That doesn't look like 5-6' to me....

maxresdefault.jpg

737 wipers do nothing but make noise and create visual illusions. :)
IMHO if you're airborne in a jet and the rain is coming down hard enough that the airflow won't allow you see out the front windows then wipers and coatings aren't going to help. Like I said, I think they're there to help pilots taxi.

IMHO if you're airborne in a jet and the rain is coming down hard enough that the airflow won't allow you see out the front windows then wipers and coatings aren't going to help. Like I said, I think they're there to help pilots taxi.
nope they help pretty significantly in the approach phase

I flew with a “notorious” captain who was ocd about clean windshields. After every round trip he would have me ask our understaffed ops for a bug wash, which of course we never got—I don’t think we even had a rolling ladder. After two turns he disappeared and the next thing I know he had pirated Eagles giant ass rolling ladder and was running it a few hundred feet across the ramp. And used a bottle of Aquafina and napkins from the galley to try to scrape bug guts off our kickass 1998 model former comair CRJ.

I get it. I can’t stand a dirty windshield. Car, plane, motorcycle helmet. Doesn’t matter. I clean em religiously.

Just a thought, I recall a long time ago I used to work on a ramp with lots of corporate traffic. My supervisor once jumped up on a ladder and tried to clean the windshield of a G-II that had just taxied in, he got knocked off the ladder from the static charge and missed a couple days of work. He also marshaled a Convair 440 into a Convair 580. As far as I know he still works there.

Back