Oh Delta XLIV

243-2431181_delta-keep-climbing-logo-hd-png-download.png

I don't think they literally meant keep climbing...

Ya'll don't have any of that maintenance that can come out and do that for ya?

That airplane was made when Bill Clinton was impeached, Britney Spears' "Baby One More TIme" debuted, the South African Truth and Reconciliation Commission presented its report, and John Glenn went into space on the Shuttle.

It was the first 737NG delivered to the Delta.

Somebody did the cockpit door check without somebody in the cockpit...

Shouldn’t matter?

If FDAS switch is off, door should open. If switch armed and door closed, input the code and gain entry in 60 seconds.

Apparently that part malfunctioned. Couldn’t get into plane. Removing all electrical power from plane should unlock it, that apparently didn’t work either.

FO side window opens from outside, pilot first tries to go in feet first. Discovers lower back won’t fit through. Gets out with help from other pilot, then goes in head first. All the while, either could have fallen and been hurt/killed from the drop off the belt loader.

Easiest solution: “Hi Maintenance, the cockpit door won’t open. Can you send someone over to fix? Thank you!”

Go to terminal, grab coffee, relax.

I flew with a “notorious” captain who was ocd about clean windshields. After every round trip he would have me ask our understaffed ops for a bug wash, which of course we never got—I don’t think we even had a rolling ladder. After two turns he disappeared and the next thing I know he had pirated Eagles giant ass rolling ladder and was running it a few hundred feet across the ramp. And used a bottle of Aquafina and napkins from the galley to try to scrape bug guts off our kickass 1998 model former comair CRJ.

Last edited:
I flew with a “notorious” captain who was ocd about clean windshields. After every round trip he would have me ask our understaffed ops for a bug wash, which of course we never got—I don’t think we even had a rolling ladder. After two turns he disappeared and the next thing I know he had pirated Eagles giant ass rolling ladder and was running it a few hundred feet across the ramp. And used a bottle of Aquafina and napkins from the galley to try to scrape bug guts off our kickass 1998 model former comair CRJ.
Does a CRJ have a hydrophobic coating on the outer windshield? If so cleaning it is probably a MX procedure. It sounds ridiculous, and it might be, but there might be a reason no one wanted to touch your windshield. Reapplying the coating can be fast, cheap and half-ass. Or it can be expensive, time consuming and long lasting. Improper cleaning can hasten the deterioration of the coating. It's like Rain-X on steroids.

Does a CRJ have a hydrophobic coating on the outer windshield? If so cleaning it is probably a MX procedure. It sounds ridiculous, and it might be, but there might be a reason no one wanted to touch your windshield. Reapplying the coating can be fast, cheap and half-ass. Or it can be expensive, time consuming and long lasting. Improper cleaning can hasten the deterioration of the coating. It's like Rain-X on steroids.
If they do, the CRJs I flew had it cleaned off by ramp managers a long time ago. I don't know about @zmiller4, but where I flew, you had to get a ramp manager, they were always understaffed, and the ladder was never in the right place, so it was a pain to get someone to do it, but no special procedure I'm aware of.

If they do, the CRJs I flew had it cleaned off by ramp managers a long time ago. I don't know about @zmiller4, but where I flew, you had to get a ramp manager, they were always understaffed, and the ladder was never in the right place, so it was a pain to get someone to do it, but no special procedure I'm aware of.
It's not uncommon on corporate jets, maybe it doesn't make sense on a regional jet.

It's not uncommon on corporate jets, maybe it doesn't make sense on a regional jet.
Oh, believe me, if I were in charge of such things, they’d have rain-x or whatever FAA/manufacturer approved equivalent is on them. But they sure don’t seem to.

I don’t think the CRJ had any coating requiring cleaning to be a maintenance procedure. I wonder if it’s a function of having wipers or not.

Shouldn’t matter?

If FDAS switch is off, door should open. If switch armed and door closed, input the code and gain entry in 60 seconds.

Apparently that part malfunctioned. Couldn’t get into plane. Removing all electrical power from plane should unlock it, that apparently didn’t work either.

FO side window opens from outside, pilot first tries to go in feet first. Discovers lower back won’t fit through. Gets out with help from other pilot, then goes in head first. All the while, either could have fallen and been hurt/killed from the drop off the belt loader.

Easiest solution: “Hi Maintenance, the cockpit door won’t open. Can you send someone over to fix? Thank you!”

Go to terminal, grab coffee, relax.

I don't know the 737 cockpit door setup, but I have heard that this isn't uncommon on the 737 if there is no power to the airplane and you accidentally close the door.

I've gone out the cargo door with the escape rope while sitting on a ramp in Mexico with no bathroom or stairs.

In the ATR in the Caribbean it was SOP at the end of a trip for whoever had the tightest commute to pop open the forward cargo door, drop down the 5-6’ and truck it to their flight the second the props stopped spinning. Must have been some sprained ankles at some point but probably no regrets.

I don’t think the CRJ had any coating requiring cleaning to be a maintenance procedure. I wonder if it’s a function of having wipers or not.
I'd imagine it is, I've never had to functionally check the ability of an aircrafts windshield to shed/bead distilled water on an airplane equipped with wipers, do CRJ's have them?

Back