Oh Delta LXXIII

To be fair, who's fault is it that a person plasters their entire personal life online?

I'm glad that putting my (properly spelled) first name last name into google nets literally NOTHING for the real me. No one needs to know that sort of info publicly on the internet.

Years ago, a link would come up that I was a FAA safety awarded pilot, but I don't even get anymore (that was an auto generation link based on the FAA database).
How often do you Google yourself

FO: I got a wife and 2 kids.

CA: I know.

FO:

NastySeparateGrouse-size_restricted.gif
I flew with a captain recently who did that for the first time in my career, except he confused myself with the other F/O he was going to being flying with that week. Asked me about my yellow Camaro during introductions. Since I don’t have one I was legitimately confused. In his explanation he admitted he looks up all his F/Os before his trips. After the initial confusion, judgements were made and I knew it was going to be a long four day. Dude was weird.

I flew with a captain recently who did that for the first time in my career, except he confused myself with the other F/O he was going to being flying with that week. Asked me about my yellow Camaro during introductions. Since I don’t have one I was legitimately confused. In his explanation he admitted he looks up all his F/Os before his trips. After the initial confusion, judgements were made and I knew it was going to be a long four day. Dude was weird.

That’s a rookie mistake! ;)

Yes, being a creep and Goggling his F/O's.

I have time say, you are different now and changed. You used to be cool/chill. Now? All I see is this constant pouncing on just about anyone. You either psycho-analyze them to death or make a mountain out of a mole hill on some trivial issue.

But have at it. You can’t hurt my feelings. Call me jeepers creepers and the google mastermind to your hearts content. :)

I have to admit, I used to look up students I was on the flight schedule to fly with on the book, so that I would know who they were the next day. Turns out, this generation doesn't really have Facebook, I learned. I'd say good for them, but I assume that just means that they do the tiktoks instead.

Back to your story though, when I did survival and evasion school (SERE), I had some instructor yell at me about some really weird stuff that was obviously about someone else. I still don't know what he thought he saw, but suffice to say that his intimate knowledge of my "children" (who didn't yet exist) must have been pulled from photos of some other poor fool with my last name. I just laughed as he hit me again.

I have to admit, I used to look up students I was on the flight schedule to fly with on the book, so that I would know who they were the next day. Turns out, this generation doesn't really have Facebook, I learned. I'd say good for them, but I assume that just means that they do the tiktoks instead.

Back to your story though, when I did survival and evasion school (SERE), I had some instructor yell at me about some really weird stuff that was obviously about someone else. I still don't know what he thought he saw, but suffice to say that his intimate knowledge of my "children" (who didn't yet exist) must have been pulled from photos of some other poor fool with my last name. I just laughed as he hit me again.
I've used the FAA registry to look up someone that's in the news that's a pilot. Like Epsteins pilot who didn't hide his address, or Bill Burr who did.

That might be creepy......but it's not as creepy as this. Still have flashbacks.
Seven, six, eleven, five, nine-an’-twenty mile to-day,
Four, eleven, seventeen, thirty-two the day before,
(Boots, boots, boots, boots, movin’ up and down again!)
There’s no discharge in the war!

I have time say, you are different now and changed. You used to be cool/chill. Now? All I see is this constant pouncing on just about anyone. You either psycho-analyze them to death or make a mountain out of a mole hill on some trivial issue.

But have at it. You can’t hurt my feelings. Call me jeepers creepers and the google mastermind to your hearts content. :)

I don't think that I've changed. I've grown older. But I'm also not going to excuse, or normalize an abnormal behavior.

Dude... I haven't psychoanalyzed you. I gave you my opinion however. Learn the difference. If I've done it in this thread, show me, where. Please. Sorry, bro. But Googling your f/o before flying with them is creepy af. Sorry, not sorry. If you want to find out how they are to fly with on a 3 or 4 day, ask other captains that have. Or better yet, ask them personally, you're going to be sitting in a cockpit the size of a closet for 3-5 days, make the most of it. Did you know before cellphones and the internet that people used to actually talk to each other, face to face? Nothing you find on the net is going to tell you about how they are in a V1 cut. Googling someone is just prying. You're prying. What you're doing IMO is a violation. Being a behavioralist at work, I'm trained to observe behaviors, intercede if someone is in crisis. Talk, but more importantly listen. Understand the person, the behavior presented and most importantly why the person is demonstrating said behaviors. In order to keep them safe, their peers, my fellow employees and the milieu.

We go through a type of similar training regarding behaviors like police do, while in the academy. What I've learned over the course of 12 yrs. is that people always do things for a specific reason. Sometimes its a conscious decision, sometimes its an unconscious reason. But always for a reason. So honestly why do you need to Goggle someone online, why do need to know their hobbies, or what kind of car that they have, or what color it is? Or how many kids they have? Or whatever pops up in a Google search, how does that type of behavior better your life and yourself as a person? It's also super hypocritical that you're looking them up online, but you're actually glad that there is nothing online pertaining to you that someone can pull up on a Google search.

If you want my opinion, not a psychoanalyzation. I would think that doing this type of behaviors is someone who is inept and lacks social skills, someone that a very insecure, possibly a weak type of person, who would do this to establish Alpha, i.e. control from the jump, especially if they announced it, as they did in @CFIscare scenario. CFIscare's captain took his dick out of his pants and plopped it on the table metaphorically. If they didn't divulge, then maybe they would just be getting off on the idea of feeling/being powerful, of knowing that they know about the guy/girl in secret, and that the other person that they Googled has no clue. I'm not necessarily saying that what I explained in this paragraph is you. But I'm saying as a type of general opinion, observation.

tlrd;

Seriously dude, again, in my unprofessional opinion. This is aberrant behavior and it shouldn't be normalized. Do you or anyone that does this type of behavior totally lack social skills that badly? That you can't actually talk to someone on a 3-5 day pairing and ask questions and learn about the person first hand. Instead of being a shadow creep and going online to find out? If your f/o straight up said How's your (wife name), how's your two kids (says their names)? I saw that you're originally from (says state) and that you're renting your current house in CA. Wouldn't that totally creep you the f' out? Wouldn't you want to be like a snake shedding its skin to get away from that sh- . Honest question dude. It's not alright, stop it.

Last edited:

I don't think that I've changed. I've grown older. But I'm also not going to excuse, or normalize an abnormal behavior.

Dude... I haven't psychoanalyzed you. I gave you my opinion however. Learn the difference. If I've done it in this thread, show me, where. Please. Sorry, bro. But Googling your f/o before flying with them is creepy af. Sorry, not sorry. If you want to find out how they are to fly with on a 3 or 4 day, ask other captains that have. Or better yet, ask them personally, you're going to be sitting in a cockpit the size of a closet for 3-5 days, make the most of it. Did you know before cellphones and the internet that people used to actually talk to each other, face to face? Nothing you find on the net is going to tell you about how they are in a V1 cut. Googling someone is just prying. You're prying. What you're doing IMO is a violation. Being a behavioralist at work, I'm trained to observe behaviors, intercede if someone is in crisis. Talk, but more importantly listen. Understand the person, the behavior presented and most importantly why the person is demonstrating said behaviors. In order to keep them safe, their peers, my fellow employees and the milieu.

We go through a type of similar training regarding behaviors like police do, while in the academy. What I've learned over the course of 12 yrs. is that people always do things for a specific reason. Sometimes its a conscious decision, sometimes its an unconscious reason. But always for a reason. So honestly why do you need to Goggle someone online, why do need to know their hobbies, or what kind of car that they have, or what color it is? Or how many kids they have? Or whatever pops up in a Google search, how does that type of behavior better your life and yourself as a person? It's also super hypocritical that you're looking them up online, but you're actually glad that there is nothing online pertaining to you that someone can pull up on a Google search.

If you want my opinion, not a psychoanalyzation. I would think that doing this type of behaviors is someone who is inept and lacks social skills, someone that a very insecure, possibly a weak type of person, who would do this to establish Alpha, i.e. control from the jump, especially if they announced it, as they did in @CFIscare scenario. CFIscare's captain took his dick out of his pants and plopped it on the table metaphorically. If they didn't divulge, then maybe they would just be getting off on the idea of feeling/being powerful, of knowing that they know about the guy/girl in secret, and that the other person that they Googled has no clue. I'm not necessarily saying that what I explained in this paragraph is you. But I'm saying as a type of general opinion, observation.

tlrd;

Seriously dude, again, in my unprofessional opinion. This is aberrant behavior and it shouldn't be normalized. Do you or anyone that does this type of behavior totally lack social skills that badly? That you can't actually talk to someone on a 3-5 day pairing and ask questions and learn about the person first hand. Instead of being a shadow creep and going online to find out? If your f/o straight up said How's your (wife name), how's your two kids (says their names)? I saw that you're originally from (says state) and that you're renting your current house in CA. Wouldn't that totally creep you the f' out? Wouldn't you want to be like a snake shedding its skin to get away from that sh- . Honest question dude. It's not alright, stop it.

Dude. Way to prove @Cherokee_Cruiser’s point.

How much is there, besides very general factual info about a person, to truly find in social media that is…..accurate? How many people present themselves as something or someone on their social media that they really aren’t? Things like having the best, happiest life, the best relationship, life’s just grand. When the truth can be the opposite or something lesser than they present. Social media is the medium many people use for what they want others to see or perceive about them, not always necessarily the accurate truth. Even photos people post of themselves on their own social media, how many are photoshopped or modified or such?

it reminds me of this short clip of the movie Smokin Aces, where Jeremy Piven explains the magic and how he makes people see, exactly and only, what he wants them to see. Great scene in the movie:

Dude. Way to prove @Cherokee_Cruiser’s point.

You being as admittedly open about how opinionated that you are. Literally about everything, I find it super odd that you can't tell the basic difference between an opinion and psychoanalyzation. But hey pile it on me, I guess. But continue excuse CC's borderline creep/cringe behaviors.

You being as admittedly open about how opinionated that you are. Literally about everything, I find it super odd that you can't tell the basic difference between an opinion and psychoanalyzation. But hey pile it on me, I guess. But continue excuse CC's borderline creep/cringe behaviors.

I‘m opinionated about issues. You’re opinionated about everyone‘s psyche. Can you really not see the difference?

I‘m opinionated about issues. You’re opinionated about everyone‘s psyche. Can you really not see the difference?

So it IS an opinion and not a psychoanalyzation. Okay, good, thanks. :biggrin:

Also nice hypocrisy, you're opinionated about EVERYTHING. And when called on it, you admit it unabashedly. But it's apparently bad when I have an opinion, even if as you say its only about one thing. Also good to know.

It's 22 dude. I strive to not get into the same ego battle confrontations with you like I did in 21.

Have a good morning.

So it IS an opinion and not a psychoanalyzation.

It’s only not psychoanalysis simply because you aren’t qualified to engage in psychoanalysis. But you're basically engaging in amateur psychoanalysis without proper credentials. There’s a reason that the actual professionals have ethical rules preventing them from doing what you’re doing,

tlrd;

This is what you just did…

binger.jpg

And like Binger, you’re making your case for me.

Was he wearing long sleeves? Usually that’s the first warning sign.

But Googling your f/o before flying with them is creepy af. Sorry, not sorry. If you want to find out how they are to fly with on a 3 or 4 day, ask other captains that have. Or better yet, ask them personally, you're going to be sitting in a cockpit the size of a closet for 3-5 days, make the most of it. Did you know before cellphones and the internet that people used to actually talk to each other, face to face?
That's very insightful and all, but how 'bout building some relevant experience before chiming in on the subject?
I joked few pages back about googling crewmembers - nah, I don't. I might throw the name in the FB group if I think I might have flown with the guy before to confirm/realize I was thinking about someone else due to being bad with names and not wanting to be the "Hi, I'm BigZ" to the guys back as he's setting up the box just to realize you've had an awesome trip together few months back - because that's not cool. Like "I don't really GAF about you" not cool.
Point being though - when you're a hammer you think everyone is a nail. I strongly recommend you leave that attitude at the prior place of employment when you do change industries.

Back