Oh, Boeing

“On Jun 13th 2024 The Aviation Herald learned that two ribs, that the stand by PCU is being mounted to, were damaged as well as the mounts of the stand by actuator. A temporary repair was done in Oakland replacing the damaged PCU, the aircraft was then ferried to Everett to replace the damaged ribs.”

I wonder if this is related. Details are difficult to find, but an airline memo made public indicated this "loose bolt" would cause the rudder to stop responding to pedal inputs, but the trim and yaw damper should remain operative.

Boeing Urges Airlines to Inspect 737 Max Planes for Possible Loose Bolts
Dec. 28, 2023
Boeing has urged airlines to inspect all 737 Max airplanes for a possible loose bolt in the rudder-control system after an international airline discovered a bolt with a missing nut while performing routine maintenance, the Federal Aviation Administration said on Thursday.

After the international airline, which the agency did not name, noticed the missing nut, Boeing discovered that an undelivered 737 Max also had a nut that was not properly tightened, the F.A.A. said.

Boeing said it has delivered more than 1,370 of the aircraft worldwide since 2017 and has urged that all of them be inspected for the possible loose hardware. The company said it was also inspecting its undelivered 737 Max airplanes.

I am choosing to understand this as a discovery resulting from slowing-the-eff-down and paying attention to the activity of prior leadership (they are past tense, yes?)

“The US Federal Aviation Administration is investigating falsified documents that were used to verify the authenticity of titanium used in some recently manufactured Boeing and Airbus jets…

The investigation comes after a parts supplier found small holes in the material – used in manufacturing of jets – from corrosion”

I'd heard a while back that some Boeing management folks might be facing criminal charges, if memory serves I received some push back here when I posted about it. If there was ever an example of "too big to fail" Boeing is it. I hope that somehow, be it through the corporate board or the courts they get their proverbial excrement together and focus on building quality airplanes again rather than focusing on stockholder returns. If they can turn the ship around without using government life support I'd be astonished, but regardless Boeing isn't going anywhere in my humble opinion. Maybe I should buy some shares...

I am choosing to understand this as a discovery resulting from slowing-the-eff-down and paying attention to the activity of prior leadership (they are past tense, yes?)

“The US Federal Aviation Administration is investigating falsified documents that were used to verify the authenticity of titanium used in some recently manufactured Boeing and Airbus jets…

The investigation comes after a parts supplier found small holes in the material – used in manufacturing of jets – from corrosion”

Jesus

It used to be you could trust vendors to deliver what you spec-Ed out.

Most stuff outsourced today is trash.

It used to be you could trust vendors to deliver what you spec-Ed out.

Most stuff outsourced today is trash.

… and this is why QA/QC is so important, but often overlooked.

If you can’t trust companies to do what is in the best interest of consumers, who can you trust?

… and this is why QA/QC is so important, but often overlooked.

If you can’t trust companies to do what is in the best interest of consumers, who can you trust?

You can't outsource your core competency. Your vendor isn't worried about your bottom line, only theirs. It's just become too easy to fake the paperwork and chances are no one will catch it until product failure.

I suspect that the supply chain (a phrase getting much overuse these days) was stressed before COVID, but when a lot of smart people left the workforce, it just collapsed. It's not back. In an effort to get back, corners are being cut, and there is a lot, and I mean a LOT, of trash in the pipeline.

I wouldn't trust anything from overseas in my products. Even "the good stuff" is having problems. PC motherboards, from known, long time quality vendors have a huge DOA rate.

It may be time to go back to a Ford style operation, where iron ore arrives on one side of the plant, and cars roll out the other.

You can't outsource your core competency. Your vendor isn't worried about your bottom line, only theirs. It's just become too easy to fake the paperwork and chances are no one will catch it until product failure.

I suspect that the supply chain (a phrase getting much overuse these days) was stressed before COVID, but when a lot of smart people left the workforce, it just collapsed. It's not back. In an effort to get back, corners are being cut, and there is a lot, and I mean a LOT, of trash in the pipeline.

I wouldn't trust anything from overseas in my products. Even "the good stuff" is having problems. PC motherboards, from known, long time quality vendors have a huge DOA rate.

It may be time to go back to a Ford style operation, where iron ore arrives on one side of the plant, and cars roll out the other.
And the MBAs in suits who were architects of the built-to-fail supply chains have long since retired with their phat bonuses and golden parachutes.

One would think that’s the way to oversee all aspects of production to ensure quality, but we all know a bean counter has calculated otherwise.

Inspecting incoming materials in a manufacturing environment is not like inspecting incoming manufactured parts in a Repair Station, I've done both and they are wildly different. Boeing and Airbus are both affected by this material quality issue, Spirit Aerospace actually found the issue and alerted Boeing, who then alerted the FAA and then Airbus found out they'd also bought some of the less than spec material. The source seems hard to discern with any real clarity at this point but many folks are looking east.

Inspecting incoming materials in a manufacturing environment is not like inspecting incoming manufactured parts in a Repair Station, I've done both and they are wildly different. Boeing and Airbus are both affected by this material quality issue, Spirit Aerospace actually found the issue and alerted Boeing, who then alerted the FAA and then Airbus found out they'd also bought some of the less than spec material. The source seems hard to discern with any real clarity at this point but many folks are looking east.
How do we know these subpar material didn't make it onto an airplane? Does Boeing not do any checks of the finished products they receive from other vendors? No random inspection of materials before or during the fabrication process at their vendors? This seems like business/manufactoring 101. Is there a reason titanium can't be sourced from or at fabricated in the US, other than the bottom line?

How do we know these subpar material didn't make it onto an airplane? Does Boeing not do any checks of the finished products they receive from other vendors? No random inspection of materials before or during the fabrication process at their vendors? This seems like business/manufactoring 101. Is there a reason titanium can't be sourced from or at fabricated in the US, other than the bottom line?

Fun fact is that the global titanium supply kinda resides in the former USSR, Far East, and S Africa. To your point, yes, I'd well imagine that fabricating titanium parts in the US vs closer to the source, is an economic consideration.

Fun fact is that the global titanium supply kinda resides in the former USSR, Far East, and S Africa. To your point, yes, I'd well imagine that fabricating titanium parts in the US vs closer to the source, is an economic consideration.
At some point, all the downstream consequences of poor outsourcing, like airplane delivery delays, lawsuits, federal investigations, potential loss of market share and decrease in stock prices, criminal charges, disastrous consequences if it leads to a smoking hole in the ground, etc. would cause the bean counters to consider if it's worth it to keep fabricating it closer to the source.

IKEA grows and manages their own forests. That allows them to control the quality and cost of the wood they use for their products. An oversimplification compared to sourcing airplane parts, but just a example of something that has reaped economic benefits vs outsourcing their supply.

Back