OUCH! I hate politicians...

I don’t know that folks like @derg or @Acrofox who might have a little more of a shall we say, on the ground perspective on this topic, would necessarily agree with this at the present moment.

Well, these are things my parents, who one is dead and the other pushing 90, fought to have “fixed” generations ago.

It’s not that I’m impatient, it’s that I’m tired of waiting and begging so I can move on to other issues.

I don’t know that folks like @derg or @Acrofox who might have a little more of a shall we say, on the ground perspective on this topic, would necessarily agree with this at the present moment.
*shrug*. I mean the point was that we all have on the ground perspective, just from different. Uhm. Perspectives. Certainly, we all have skin in the game, at the very least, as the forces of Reaction are always hovering about, looking for a way in to the dialectic. *gestures all around*

Kick the World, break your leg.

he was unable to do the bare minimum amount of reading before heading to work that day.

Well, Congressional Hearings are now and have been for at least a decade or two almost entirely performative. They're basically advertisements at this point. And I would (you'll be stunned to learn) lay the blame for that fact on the doorstep of the radicalization of the political dialectic. There's basically zero incentive for moderate, sane governance/politics in our System-as-it-has-evolved. Like, why would he read anything but the script, under these conditions? (Provided he had the time away from fundraising, but that's a different discussion, I suppose).

And sure, this is maddening (it is!), but when it snowballs in to increasing frustration and cynicism about the possibility (reality, imho) of actual (albeit glacial) Progress, it simply plays in to the temporizing instincts of Reactionary lunatics, and the irresponsible, dangerous instincts of Revolutionary lunatics.

What theoretically sets people apart is the knowledge that this phenomenon exists. We can actively choose to be different. And we must.

Or we're back to war, holocaust, and likely the destruction of life on this planet, because our weapons have wildly outstripped our intellectual and emotional development as a species.
Your heart is in the right place but I still think you’re wrong. Just because we understand a concept doesn’t mean that we can immediately change instincts. I’m not talking about hate I’m talking about an unconscious bias towards familiarity. If you happen to be part of a marginalized group and interviewed another person in that same group you’re more likely to give them a little extra credit because you can relate to them and you feel that you have something in common. You can say you would never do that but that would be a lie and you know it. I’ve read enough of your posts to know that you blame other groups for your lack of success and that makes you no better than the people you blame.

Last edited:
Well, Congressional Hearings are now and have been for at least a decade or two almost entirely performative. They're basically advertisements at this point. And I would (you'll be stunned to learn) lay the blame for that fact on the doorstep of the radicalization of the political dialectic. There's basically zero incentive for moderate, sane governance/politics in our System-as-it-has-evolved. Like, why would he read anything but the script, under these conditions? (Provided he had the time away from fundraising, but that's a different discussion, I suppose).

And sure, this is maddening (it is!), but when it snowballs in to increasing frustration and cynicism about the possibility (reality, imho) of actual (albeit glacial) Progress, it simply plays in to the temporizing instincts of Reactionary lunatics, and the irresponsible, dangerous instincts of Revolutionary lunatics.

I think the bigger slight is being inattentive of a guest of the state house.

If he had been attentive and respectful and inadvertently called a flight attendant a stewardess, he might have gotten a pass after polite acceptance of a correction.

Your heart is in the right place but I still think you’re wrong. Just because we understand a concept doesn’t mean that we can immediately change instincts.

To be clear, I agree the instincts take a while to change. What doesn't take a while to change is what we DO about those instincts. And that's the critical thing, because it determines whether we can change them

I’m not talking about hate I’m talking about an unconscious bias towards familiarity. If you happen to be part of a marginalized group and interviewed another person in that same group you’re more likely to give them a little extra credit because you can relate to them and you feel that you have something in common.

But if you're aware of yourself, and your propensity, you can choose to find a way to deal with it fairly.

Literally the point of DEI, by the way. ^_^

You can say you would never do that but that would be a lie and you know it. I’ve read enough of your posts to know that you blame other groups for your lack of success and that makes you no better than the people you blame.
This feels a bit personal, and I'm a bit hurt by this take, ngl.

Until we are ethereal beings of pure Reason, Light, and Unicorn Farts, we are going to have Differences, and we are going to notice them. So long as the long-term needle of History is moving

I cannot tell you how much I loved this line.

I apologize for the derail, but in a parallel universe, I swear this is the beginning of a verse penned by Tom Waits, and subsequent lines will deal with switchblades, hobos, and a '31 Bugatti.

Well, with this in mind, unless we leave, everything we do is a complete waste of time.

I mean, the sun still has another ~5 billion years to go. My gut feeling is humanity will wipe itself out far before then. Or a huge asteroid/comet takes care of it.

Maybe the future earth will have Bronterocs living here that get to experience the wrath of the sun burning out and dying.

I mean, the sun still has another ~5 billion years to go. My gut feeling is humanity will wipe itself out far before then. Or a huge asteroid/comet takes care of it.

Whatever you wish to ascribe, such a fatalist attitude results in the same conclusion, and honestly, it is a tremendous cop out. Maybe the biggest cop out of all time, because it ascribes our entire existence to not even a worthless footnote.

I reject such claims and the pity party that comes with it. It’s like the stoner on the couch, just getting baked and saying “whatever”.

I like to think we have a destiny in the stars.

In time, we will accomplish wonders.

Whatever you wish to ascribe, such a fatalist attitude results in the same conclusion, and honestly, it is a tremendous cop out. Maybe the biggest cop out of all time, because it ascribes our entire existence to not even a worthless footnote.

I reject such claims and the pity party that comes with it. It’s like the stoner on the couch, just getting baked and saying “whatever”.

The world is a pretty incredible place if you’re lucky enough to dodge some of the unavoidable pitfalls in this life and step outside your comfort zone.

I think that’s part of what irks me the most about people who act like @Cherokee_Cruiser. The world has so many incredible things to se, hobbies to do, other fantastic people to meet (and I say that as an introvert) and his go to is to come on here and complain about politics ALL THE TIME.

The world is a pretty incredible place if you’re lucky enough to dodge some of the unavoidable pitfalls in this life and step outside your comfort zone.

I think that’s part of what irks me the most about people who act like @Cherokee_Cruiser. The world has so many incredible things to se, hobbies to do, other fantastic people to meet (and I say that as an introvert) and his go to is to come on here and complain about politics ALL THE TIME.

I got the Korean selection on the way back from Seoul on a ICN-DTW flight. My copilot was like “how do you know what’s in that? How do you know it’s safe? I don’t trust it”.

Also the same guy who has literally never left the block the hotel is on and has been flying to ICN for the last 8 years.

I got the Korean selection on the way back from Seoul on a ICN-DTW flight. My copilot was like “how do you know what’s in that? How do you know it’s safe? I don’t trust it”.

Also the same guy who has literally never left the block the hotel is on and has been flying to ICN for the last 8 years.

Meh. After 2 years straight living in Korea and being all over the country there, if I never went back and never had the food again, it wouldn’t be any giant loss. But, have actually experienced it versus just randomly complaining about it.

How do you trust Rallies at 2am on a Saturday morning?...or Chipotle at any time?

Bet he knows every waitress and bar tender at the Irish pub, though!

I didn’t mean to sound like a cop out. There are plenty of things in this world to explore, and a great life to live and enjoy.

I’m just pointing out the earth and sun are about ~4.5 billion yrs old, humans have existed for literally a footnote of that time so far, and the sun’s hydrogen supply is a finite amount. It’ll be gone in ~5 billion yrs.

I’m not sure if your destiny in the stars is a religious comment, or will humans conquer space travel and find other hospitable planets? Maybe. Possibly. Can we thwart a comet or major asteroid heading our way? Maybe, probably. Dinosaurs ruled the earth for millions of years before they were wiped out by an asteroid. On an existential threat level, a space object colliding with us has a serious chance of wiping out a lot of earth’s species. It seems like that would be an area worth spending time and resources on preventing. Others would be wars and plagues, and humans seem to have a bad track record of both.

But there are other threats too, and worth mentioning at least in America and other 1st world countries, it seems plenty of people are happy enough being genetic dead ends (and I don’t mean any offense to those who chose to do so). I don’t mean you, but anyone who would preach and believe in ‘life finds a way,’ while ending their own bloodline in the existence of time? I find that perplexing.

I take his comments being in regards to intestinal safety before embarking on a 10+ hr international flight. I once had questionable food once in Philly. The PHL-LAX flight involved three poop trips to the Lav in flight. Never again.

Inside of 12 hrs from departure, my food intake gets limited to ‘known’ quantities - well established chain restaurants.

I take his comments being in regards to intestinal safety before embarking on a 10+ hr international flight. I once had questionable food once in Philly. The PHL-LAX flight involved three poop trips to the Lav in flight. Never again.

Inside of 12 hrs from departure, my food intake gets limited to ‘known’ quantities - well established chain restaurants.

He's talking about the onboard meal. I'd trust what comes out of an airline catering kitchen in Korea long before I'd trust a Subway Sandwich from somewhere in Gangnam.

Bet he knows every waitress and bar tender at the Irish pub, though!

Oh, totally.

He'd hit he buffet hard, REAL HARD, in the morning, then go back to bed for the day. Literally was upset that I wouldn't set a time to meet him for breakfast. Crap, man, I don't know, maybe I'll just get up late and do black guy stuff.

Back