OUCH! I hate politicians...

What theoretically sets people apart is the knowledge that this phenomenon exists. We can actively choose to be different. And we must.

Or we're back to war, holocaust, and likely the destruction of life on this planet, because our weapons have wildly outstripped our intellectual and emotional development as a species.

While this is true and what @Box hauler described is factual. It's something hardwired into us as humans. It's part of our nature. We're really just highly intelligent apes after all. Different is suspicious and possibly dangerous. Just like wolves from one pack for an example, will have a different scent from another. As a means to help tell them apart from one another. One smells like pack, that other one doesn't. Run the interloper down out of our territory, or kill it. Or both. Humans do this also, though our noses aren't as powerful as other animals. We instead rely on looks and instinct as a determination for our prejudice. Fear is a very powerful tool often utilized by humans and other animals alike as a mean of survival. The whole fight or flight response. We really haven't evolved from that, its a primal lizard brain function.

Having recently been to the UP, Marquette specifically, towards the end of last year to visit with my SO's family for the holidays. I felt completely out of place as there was no one like me seen when we ventured out. Though I at least wasn't shown any outward bias, I definitely got some stares and whispers. They knew that I was black, but also that I was a city boy, from how I dressed. I didn't look their part wearing Nike shoes, puffer jackets and Adidas track suits. I would even subconsciously find myself looking around for another black person as a mean of recognition, safety and comfort. I got over it, but it was still an initial response to seeing a lot of people that didn't look like me and were of a completely different look, feel and culture.

This part of human nature is no different than women, LGBT's and other POC's on college and university campus across the country, wanting their own "safe" space where they can be around others that identify the same as them. Or look like them and not having those that are "different" invade their space. Likewise racial groups like Black Culture club, Persian/Arab Culture club, Gay Pride club, Hispanic Culture club. Women's groups, etc. It's unfortunate that we as humans verbally claim to want diversity and an end of segregation in society. But as a whole we tend to also consciously, or subconsciously prefer segregation as a simple means of identity, culture and feeling of belonging/acceptance and safety. It's really just psychology 101.

I don’t think it’s as much of a choice to hate on something for the sake of doing it than it is a natural safety mechanism that’s been ingrained over thousands of years to keep us safe. We’re just more likely to trust people who resemble ourselves. This isn’t just aviation, many professions and people in general do the same thing.

Look at prisons, for a very raw, macro example. How do the prisoners inside generally align and separate themselves? By race; by those that look like themselves.

Just saw the video. This dude definitely said this on purpose.

We could name this new lottery The Democracy Draw followed by the year.

Was she identified as a pilot, first officer, or both?

I ask because in conversations with the unwashed masses, I’ve had to resort to using pilot and co-pilot when they didn’t follow captain and first officer after an explanation.

I get what you’re saying, and you’re very much correct but IMO that’s just not how humans work. We’re very much pack animals and we feel more comfortable around other people who seem similar to ourselves. I don’t think it’s as much of a choice to hate on something for the sake of doing it than it is a natural safety mechanism that’s been ingrained over thousands of years to keep us safe. We’re just more likely to trust people who resemble ourselves. This isn’t just aviation, many professions and people in general do the same thing. If you interviewed nannies to watch your kid and one person who showed up had full sleeves and another showed up looking like Mary poppins with identical credentials… you get where I’m going with this. If all you have is 10 minutes of face time and a resume we often error on the side of predictability. We continue to get better as people it’s just a process that takes longer than all of us wish it did.

I get what you're saying, but....

Very, very sensitive. One of the many reasons I'm a great stick.

And, you know, if I really am AI, I'm obvious WAY better than you. I'm your new God. LOL.
What stick? You talk a lot but it's just static in regards to who you might be. We've been over this, if you can't provide context that provides any validity to your opinion it's just noise. @MikeD is forthcoming about his time flying the F-117, I'm sure he's not spilling all the beans but you refuse to even give any indication who you might be. Because of that it's impossible to take anything you say seriously. If you have all of the real dope (you write as if you do) give us your bona fides and we'll figure out whether you're an internet clown or someone whose opinion is worth anything. Put up or shut up.

The third option is “bad at science”
My CFI in SLC had his seventh kid during my CPL. No clue how he took care of six kids, now seven. On a CFI salary, his wife didn't work. I chalked it up to UT. I asked him if he was done, he said that it was up to Heavenly father to decided and not him, or his wife. They didn't believe in contraception.

What stick? You talk a lot but it's just static in regards to who you might be. We've been over this, if you can't provide context that provides any validity to your opinion it's just noise. @MikeD is forthcoming about his time flying the F-117, I'm sure he's not spilling all the beans but you refuse to even give any indication who you might be. Because of that it's impossible to take anything you say seriously. If you have all of the real dope (you write as if you do) give us your bona fides and we'll figure out whether you're an internet clown or someone whose opinion is worth anything. Put up or shut up.
F=ma: If I'm nobody, if I'm somebody, if I'm private, if I'm public... Does it make what I just stated any less or more true?

It's really just psychology 101.

Agreed pretty much across the board. The problem (well, ONE problem, anyway) is that everyone wants everything "fixed" RIGHT NOW (for varying definitions of "fixed", obviously, which vary not only based on who desires the "fix"ing, but also across time). I'm reasonably "evolved" in this sense (as I think you are) but, like you (and everyone else who has ever existed), I'm not immune, and it's silly to expect anyone to be so. Plonk me down in a room where I am obviously The Other, and I'm liable to be a bit uncomfortable, whatever my higher-order thinking may tell me. And that's ok.

Until we are ethereal beings of pure Reason, Light, and Unicorn Farts, we are going to have Differences, and we are going to notice them. So long as the long-term needle of History is moving towards aforementioned higher-order thinking and its attendant recognition that these Differences, while real, aren't particularly significant (especially when compared to our similarities, the most striking and important of which is that we all are capable of higher-order thinking in the first place), I think we're doing GREAT. I wish that this were more widely acknowledged. Like, we have been and continue to be going in what is (at least IMHO) the Right Direction, from a reasonable altitude.

Agreed pretty much across the board. The problem (well, ONE problem, anyway) is that everyone wants everything "fixed" RIGHT NOW (for varying definitions of "fixed", obviously, which vary not only based on who desires the "fix"ing, but also across time). I'm reasonably "evolved" in this sense (as I think you are) but, like you (and everyone else who has ever existed), I'm not immune, and it's silly to expect anyone to be so. Plonk me down in a room where I am obviously The Other, and I'm liable to be a bit uncomfortable, whatever my higher-order thinking may tell me. And that's ok.

Until we are ethereal beings of pure Reason, Light, and Unicorn Farts, we are going to have Differences, and we are going to notice them. So long as the long-term needle of History is moving towards aforementioned higher-order thinking and its attendant recognition that these Differences, while real, aren't particularly significant (especially when compared to our similarities, the most striking and important of which is that we all are capable of higher-order thinking in the first place), I think we're doing GREAT. I wish that this were more widely acknowledged. Like, we have been and continue to be going in what is (at least IMHO) the Right Direction, from a reasonable altitude.
I agree, it might take millennia before it all gets sorted and there's no guarantee we don't flatten everything we've done before we get there. As smart as we, as a species, like to think we are we're no better than our ancestors, we just have bigger, more complicated sticks and stones. Will humanity progress after I'm dead and gone? Maybe, but there's also a non-zero chance that we end the whole thing on our own. I'm not convinced humanity hasn't been crushed more than once in our history, hopefully we can try to figure that out before an asteroid, super volcano or some man made thing resets everything back to the beginning again. I prefer optimism rather than a defeatist outlook but I'm just a dumb mechanic. And who knows what's hiding behind the sun.

I agree, it might take millennia before it all gets sorted and there's no guarantee we don't flatten everything we've done before we get there. As smart as we, as a species, like to think we are we're no better than our ancestors, we just have bigger, more complicated sticks and stones. Will humanity progress after I'm dead and gone? Maybe, but there's also a non-zero chance that we end the whole thing on our own. I'm not convinced humanity hasn't been crushed more than once in our history, hopefully we can try to figure that out before an asteroid, super volcano or some man made thing resets everything back to the beginning again. I prefer optimism rather than a defeatist outlook but I'm just a dumb mechanic. And who knows what's hiding behind the sun.

I always thought that one day the sun would finally burn out and die, and that would the mark the end of life on earth.

Turns out, as the sun dies, it will actually grow in size. Venus, Mercury will be engulfed, and from what I understand the Earth will be too - or very, very close to it. Earth will be scorched before we lose our sun.

So yeah.

That fate awaits any living thing on this planet Earth.

^ Ladies and gentlemen, the very embodiment of watching a couple of NDGT videos about halfway through, then explaining Physics!

Ugh. I have an idea to eliminate career politicians. A type of lottery where the state pulls names, similar to how they random-select folks for jury duty. Each person should be over the age of 25 and no older than 65, and at that point they must serve a paid two-year term as a representative for the state then they are out and never get picked again. The work can be done remote from home.

I don't know. If we just pick people at random, we might end up with some ignorant, incompetent, and I hate to say it, but possibly criminal or down right crazy people with a lot of power. No, we had better stick with the system we have.

(Seriously though, an interesting concept. Something to ponder as I sit my jury duty here in a few weeks.)

While this is true and what @Box hauler described is factual. It's something hardwired into us as humans. It's part of our nature. We're really just highly intelligent apes after all. Different is suspicious and possibly dangerous. Just like wolves from one pack for an example, will have a different scent from another. As a means to help tell them apart from one another. One smells like pack, that other one doesn't. Run the interloper down out of our territory, or kill it. Or both. Humans do this also, though our noses aren't as powerful as other animals. We instead rely on looks and instinct as a determination for our prejudice. Fear is a very powerful tool often utilized by humans and other animals alike as a mean of survival. The whole fight or flight response. We really haven't evolved from that, its a primal lizard brain function.

Having recently been to the UP, Marquette specifically, towards the end of last year to visit with my SO's family for the holidays. I felt completely out of place as there was no one like me seen when we ventured out. Though I at least wasn't shown any outward bias, I definitely got some stares and whispers. They knew that I was black, but also that I was a city boy, from how I dressed. I didn't look their part wearing Nike shoes, puffer jackets and Adidas track suits. I would even subconsciously find myself looking around for another black person as a mean of recognition, safety and comfort. I got over it, but it was still an initial response to seeing a lot of people that didn't look like me and were of a completely different look, feel and culture.

This part of human nature is no different than women, LGBT's and other POC's on college and university campus across the country, wanting their own "safe" space where they can be around others that identify the same as them. Or look like them and not having those that are "different" invade their space. Likewise racial groups like Black Culture club, Persian/Arab Culture club, Gay Pride club, Hispanic Culture club. Women's groups, etc. It's unfortunate that we as humans verbally claim to want diversity and an end of segregation in society. But as a whole we tend to also consciously, or subconsciously prefer segregation as a simple means of identity, culture and feeling of belonging/acceptance and safety. It's really just psychology 101.

Well said. Homo sapiening is hard.

I watched that video a few days ago, and I'm going to be honest—from my experience, that sort of thing isn't accidental. It's what you hear referred to as a "microaggression." From his facial expression and tone, I feel that he knew exactly what he was doing.

It was pretty gross.
Additionally, the word “stewardess” hasn’t been a thing in my adult life, and I’m in my 50’s.

I wouldn’t want someone so out of touch representing me at all because somehow, he was unable to do the bare minimum amount of reading before heading to work that day.

Back