Oh, Boeing

How do we know these subpar material didn't make it onto an airplane? Does Boeing not do any checks of the finished products they receive from other vendors? No random inspection of materials before or during the fabrication process at their vendors? This seems like business/manufactoring 101. Is there a reason titanium can't be sourced from or at fabricated in the US, other than the bottom line?
Both major airline manufacturers have confirmed that parts using these suspect materials have been manufactured and are currently being removed from their inventory, the engineering departments from both companies have stated the airplanes already delivered to airlines with parts from the same source are safe and the parts will be replaced during routine maintenance. I'm not an industry expert nor have I ever laid working hands on an airliner, but I made up the first portion of this post from thin air with zero references. It sounds reasonable and might actually mirror reality and most folks would consume it.

Just think...if we'd let Airbus have MDC, they'd be building 320s in Long Beach, now, not in Mobile.
And Boeing would still be based in Everett. Apparently there's talk of getting back to basics and the shareholders might need to buckle up as the ship gets turned. Moving the headquarters back to Seattle has been rumored. What they've been doing has obviously not been working.

Your credibility is already exceedingly low. My suggestion is that you not add to that reputation.
Credibility? By what measure? Is this your personal opinion? I plainly stated that I was ignorant and was trying to make an example of how easy it is to sound knowledgeable. I'm a dummy and I fooled you, so who's the fool?

Credibility? By what measure? Is this your personal opinion? I plainly stated that I was ignorant and was trying to make an example of how easy it is to sound knowledgeable. I'm a dummy and I fooled you, so who's the fool?
You didn’t fool me with that.

You don’t fool me in general, either. I’m still sad for you.

And the MBAs in suits who were architects of the built-to-fail supply chains have long since retired with their phat bonuses and golden parachutes.
Bigger picture, this is - by and large - the fate and state of every industry right now. It's especially destructive (not "disruptive) in "industries" that aren't even commercial, like education and medicine and basic science.

Inspecting incoming materials in a manufacturing environment is not like inspecting incoming manufactured parts in a Repair Station, I've done both and they are wildly different. Boeing and Airbus are both affected by this material quality issue, Spirit Aerospace actually found the issue and alerted Boeing, who then alerted the FAA and then Airbus found out they'd also bought some of the less than spec material. The source seems hard to discern with any real clarity at this point but many folks are looking east.
A couple weeks ago, I went over to the Amazon. I got me one a them newfangled mass spectrometer machines. Then! I see'd they had them a two'fer. If I bought the photospectrometer in the same purchase I got me a whoppin' 50% off on the second photo-watcha-thingy.

Now, I'm inspecting materials down at the new McDonald's. I moonlight at Boeing. Yeah, it's purty good.

Fun fact is that the global titanium supply kinda resides in the former USSR, Far East, and S Africa. To your point, yes, I'd well imagine that fabricating titanium parts in the US vs closer to the source, is an economic consideration.
You guys really don't seem to have a feud here. @srleslie seems to be saying check BEFORE fabrication (wherever the checking needs to take place). You seem to be saying fabrication is more inexpensively done in countries closer to the source material (and - we can only assume - free slaves, lower regulatory and tax burdens).

Those viewpoints are not inherently in contradiction whatsoever. You can do BOTH without offending each other. Test/check wherever; then build with verified materials. Eh?

(edit to correct: actually, on second reading, no. @srleslie referenced "finished products". Still, if they did it the way I proposed, it might all still work out good; last a long time.)

Last edited:
“On Jun 13th 2024 The Aviation Herald learned that two ribs, that the stand by PCU is being mounted to, were damaged as well as the mounts of the stand by actuator. A temporary repair was done in Oakland replacing the damaged PCU, the aircraft was then ferried to Everett to replace the damaged ribs.”

I wonder if this is related. Details are difficult to find, but an airline memo made public indicated this "loose bolt" would cause the rudder to stop responding to pedal inputs, but the trim and yaw damper should remain operative.

We've been here before. (bold above)

Lolling,'cause what are we 'sposed to do...etc.

I'd heard a while back that some Boeing management folks might be facing criminal charges, if memory serves I received some push back here when I posted about it. If there was ever an example of "too big to fail" Boeing is it. I hope that somehow, be it through the corporate board or the courts they get their proverbial excrement together and focus on building quality airplanes again rather than focusing on stockholder returns. If they can turn the ship around without using government life support I'd be astonished, but regardless Boeing isn't going anywhere in my humble opinion. Maybe I should buy some shares...
This! is your "deep state": 1. It's not deep. 2. It's not the state. 3. These are the people you really don't like and who do NOT care a rat's ass about YOU. These are private industry; the real enemy-of-you; the true deep Lords you should really fear instead of being distracted by their messaging that you should fear people employed by expert agencies to protect you.

Many big corporate board members get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to show up at bored meetings, check boxes, and give their "harumphs". These are not diligent, honest overseers; These are just fellow exclusive golf-club buds; Frat bros who probably were members of the same eating club as the CEO.

Last edited:
This! is your "deep state": 1. It's not deep. 2. It's not the state. 3. These are the people you really don't like and who do NOT care a rat's ass about YOU. These are private industry; the real enemy-of-you; the true deep Lords you should really fear instead of being distracted by their messaging that you should fear people employed by expert agencies to protect you.

Many big corporate board members get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to show up at bored meetings, check boxes, and give their "harumphs". These are not diligent, honest overseers; These are just fellow exclusive golf-club buds; Frat bros who probably were members of the same eating club as the CEO.
Yep you're right.

Thank you. Now that we know that we're on the same vessel in a rough sea, let's continue in each other's best interests, eh??
Nope. I don't like or trust you. If you feel I'm being rude or unkind I suggest you call your mother and tell her someone on the internet was mean.

Back