Oh Boeing… again 🤬

They need new ones because the old ones don’t have enough motors. Just like United’s 1 321neo, which blew a motor in Chicago the other day.

The GTF is….. quite the marvel of engineering.

The funny part (I'm told by my more experienced Captains) is that it's not the GTF parts that are the problem. It's burner cans and some bleed air problems that cause the cores to go all 'splodey.

But even if they did they would face a new issue: engines. Nobody makes next generation engines in that thrust class. The PW2000 makes 40k lb of thrust to push along a 255k lb 757-200 to a range of 3,900nm. Rolls Royce birds pack a bit more punch too around 43k if I recall. Compare that to an A321LR that also has a similar range of 4,000nm but weighs 214k lb and the Pratt GTF has a thrust of 33k lbs. Simar thrust to weight but the 757 wing makes all the difference in performance because it was designed for that size and weight of aircraft from the get go. When I was working on a few concept designs for the new MOM aircraft, I was told nobody wants to commit to build a new engine in the 40k lbs thrust class because it would be used only on that single model and it's too much risk. Current LEAP / GTF aren't powerful enough and using something like a derated GenX or Trent (which was considered) ended up negating any benefit when you're dragging all that extra weight and frontal area around without using its full power. The design desperately needed new engines because an A321NEO burns 10,000 lbs of fuel less than a 757 on your typical transcon. That's quite the difference. Lack of engine is also what helped shelf the Boeing MOM designs, and I'm afraid to say that unless someone steps up with one, that market segment is dead. Everyone has accepted underperforming 737-9/-10 and A321NEO for that capacity and Boeing is moving on to better things with a wider market appeal like the Truss Braced Wing.

Instead of resurrecting the 757, maybe they should resurrect the aircraft the 757 was designed to replace, and use 3 Pratt GTFs or similar.

Instead of resurrecting the 757, maybe they should resurrect the aircraft the 757 was designed to replace, and use 3 Pratt GTFs or similar.
If you pitch something with more than two engines to an American airline manager their heads will explode faster and more vigorously than a CFM56 fan disk.

The funny part (I'm told by my more experienced Captains) is that it's not the GTF parts that are the problem. It's burner cans and some bleed air problems that cause the cores to go all 'splodey.
Hadn’t heard that, but I know they put an airline out of business and are severely damaging other carriers.

I flew one exactly one time and everything worked fine, ama

Hadn’t heard that, but I know they put an airline out of business and are severely damaging other carriers.

I flew one exactly one time and everything worked fine, ama
ENG 1 THR CONTROL MALFUNCTION
THR LEVER 1 ... NOT ABOVE IDLE

"k"

ENG 2 THR CONTROL MALFUNCTION
THR LEVER 2 ... NOT ABOVE IDLE

Well one of them should be above idle...at some point...Note, this did not happen to me, but it did happen to a friend. My first brush with the NEO was "ENG 1 OIL SYSTEM MINOR FAULT" immediately after start on a cold day and then it was mostly nice sailing.

A quick look at the googles was showing a problem with the metallurgy in the turbine wheels?

Yeah, that was another thing. One of my LCAs - during a reeeeeeeeaaaaallly thorough discussion about the bleeds on the GTFs on the Quebecois Cruiser (catchy, huh?) was saying that DL ate around a dozen engines on the thing.

However, as I told a mutual friend of ours the other day, I know S about F all.

This is true. Pretty much every component other than the new technology had been a problem.

EasyJet was once all 737s and a large and important 737NG customer with dozens of 737-700s online before most legacy carriers had some, and they eventually went all Airbus. Allegiant has been all Airbus for about a decade and is taking the risk of a 737MAX future (which paired with the massive expansion of Sun Country and their transition to a ULCC makes me suspicious of things behind the scenes). Even on a scale of hundreds of frames, it is entirely possible that delays and issues could get a long-time Boeing customer to go Airbus (especially in the case of UA where what is adding an extra 100-200 A321NEOs and canceling MAX orders when you already have 100+ A321s on order?).

That said, I don't see Southwest ditching Boeing. What I could see, since the WN of the past is already a memory anyway, is something like the A220 or E195-E2 or something becoming a 737-700 replacement and operating alongside the 737s in large numbers. Southwest may say, for now, that they'll just "wait" and make due with those 737-700s that are going to hitting their max cycles in the not-so-distant future, but I don't buy it. If it turns into a 3-5 year wait, planes need to go to the desert, and Embraer and Airbus offer the right deal, anything could happen. All things considered, it isn't THAT crazy to think about given recent events at Boeing and Southwest moving into markets like SBA, FAT, EUG, BLI ect which it historically wouldn't have considered wroth the trouble.

Unless you are United. In that case Airbus will buy back some delivery slots from other carriers for you.
Not to mention carriers going bankrupt or canceling orders. Braniff became the 1st A320 operator in the US because Pan Am had to cancel the order right as the planes were coming off the line so suddenly those first planes were up for grabs. You never know.

Last edited:
EasyJet was once all 737s and a large and important 737NG customer with dozens of 737-700s online before most legacy carriers had some, and they eventually went all Airbus. Allegiant has been all Airbus for about a decade and is taking the risk of a 737MAX future (which paired with the massive expansion of Sun Country and their transition to a ULCC makes me suspicious of things behind the scenes). Even on a scale of hundreds of frames, it is entirely possible that delays and issues could get a long-time Boeing customer to go Airbus (especially in the case of UA where what is adding an extra 100-200 A321NEOs and canceling MAX orders when you already have 100+ A321s on order?).

That said, I don't see Southwest ditching Boeing. What I could see, since the WN of the past is already a memory anyway, is something like the A220 or E195-E2 or something becoming a 737-700 replacement and operating alongside the 737s in large numbers. Southwest may say, for now, that they'll just "wait" and make due with those 737-700s that are going to hitting their max cycles in the not-so-distant future, but I don't buy it. If it turns into a 3-5 year wait, planes need to go to the desert, and Embraer and Airbus offer the right deal, anything could happen. All things considered, it isn't THAT crazy to think about given recent events at Boeing and Southwest moving into markets like SBA, FAT, EUG, BLI ect which it historically wouldn't have considered wroth the trouble.

Not to mention carriers going bankrupt or canceling orders. Braniff became the 1st A320 operator in the US because Pan Am had to cancel the order right as the planes were coming off the line so suddenly those first planes were up for grabs. You never know.
Airliners.net is over there

And this is what a Geared Turbo Fan looks like…

1706751768620.jpeg

For those who are unaware, the 737 doesn’t have an ice detector or automatic cowl anti-ice. It relies on the crew to turn on and off the cowl anti ice in icing conditions.
It's really weird how that's always worked good and lasted a long time. What (in the system) changed? Hmmmmmmmmmmm...

Back