Oh Alaska(n)

Come on guys. This is a strike authorization vote, simply checking a box that needs to be checked. Ain't no release, cooling happening.

You keep saying things like this and everytime you do, I get real "I'll cross the picket line bc AS is great" vibes.

Are you in favor of a strike to get better working conditions? If so, why do you thinks its ok to continuously undermine your unions negotiating position?

The APA got themselves in a bit of a bind (as they always do, because they’re wildly reckless and incompetent). They realized that there was no possible deal that could be reached that the members would vote for because they had made the mistake of whipping them into too much of a frenzy. They were on the path to an unwinnable strike. They called Bruce Lindsey, Clinton‘s Deputy White House Counsel, and told him that things sure would be a lot easier if the President would issue a PEB, because if a third party was involved and told the pilots they were asking for too much, they might actually convince the rank and file to take a reasonable deal. Clinton dutifully obliged.

This sort of situation is exactly why @BobDDuck was talking about the dangers of releasing aggressive openers. It can create a situation that it is hard for union leaders to keep under control.

I give you a lot of crap but I’m glad you’re around to Toddsplain airline labor issues and history.

I give you a lot of crap but I’m glad you’re around to Toddsplain airline labor issues and history.

What’s sad is that a lot of this stuff is so ancient history at this point that it’s basically just the retired ALPA guys who remember it. :) I can talk all day about the nuances of the EAL strike, but half the people around here weren’t even alive when EAL existed!

You keep saying things like this and everytime you do, I get real "I'll cross the picket line bc AS is great" vibes.

Are you in favor of a strike to get better working conditions? If so, why do you thinks its ok to continuously undermine your unions negotiating position?

So you’re throwing the scab word like it means nothing. That word is reserved for the serious offense.

I didn’t undermine anything. I’m just calling it like it is. Of course I’ll vote yes on the authorization vote.

Back to the TMPIC question, couldn't begin to answer what they are looking for, but there were a few SKW guys in my interview group that had upgraded very recently to CA. And of the two who didn't get hired, one had a lot of 121 PIC somewhere else.
Interesting stuff. Ill just have to keep on updating the app in hopes of an interview while I rack up enough 121 time to upgrade.

Interesting stuff. Ill just have to keep on updating the app in hopes of an interview while I rack up enough 121 time to upgrade.

I’m staying at the Eskimo. So full disclosure but talking with my mentees and friends at airlines keep your apps going at other major airlines as well. United base is JR at SFO. Delta is hiring directly into SEA and the cargo jobs are at ANC. Unless you’re dead set about PDX which will take years to hold at AS it’s very wise to keep your options open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Years to hold PDX? A Nov 2021 hire got PDX in this latest bid.

Good to see it’s come down. What’s the time to hold a line? Upgrade time? It’s a super senior base. I guess if one can deal with reserve fo lyfe at an airline that has poor reserve rules and staffing…

577bca8c5d422db5e8f1480c44840c57.jpg

Serious question, why do you guys think PDX is so senior? For those of us who have spent significant amounts of life in PDX, it isn't a place I'd want to be, necessarily.....and I say that as a native Oregonian with all of my siblings (and my boy's cousins) in Portlandia.

Serious question, why do you guys think PDX is so senior? For those of us who have spent significant amounts of life in PDX, it isn't a place I'd want to be, necessarily.....and I say that as a native Oregonian with all of my siblings (and my boy's cousins) in Portlandia.

Small base and desirable to some folks.

With the latest (effective) October bid, PDX has 192 CAs and 189 FOs.

Compared to SEA, which has 753 CAs and 721 FOs.

I feel like PDX is the place to be if your wife loves being berated in the New Seasons parking lot by some complete stranger that is unhappy with whatever new age rule of parenting she may have violated (this has happened to my SIL, who has a masters in education, 20+ years as a classroom educator/teacher, and a very calm chill mature demeanor, not to mention being a very patient mother and very up to speed on modern parenting ideas). For the others, or those who enjoy a functional straw, perhaps other places are more enjoyable?

I feel like PDX is the place to be if your wife loves being berated in the New Seasons parking lot by some complete stranger that is unhappy with whatever new age rule of parenting she may have violated (this has happened to my SIL, who has a masters in education, 20+ years as a classroom educator/teacher, and a very calm chill mature demeanor, not to mention being a very patient mother and very up to speed on modern parenting ideas). For the others, or those who enjoy a functional straw, perhaps other places are more enjoyable?
To be fair, the Washington side of the river is nice. There's also pilots that live in Hood River.

I looked and the most JR line holder at PDX has roughly been at Laski for 4 years. Doesn't count open flying lines of course...

I looked and the most JR line holder at PDX has roughly been at Laski for 4 years. Doesn't count open flying lines of course...

They are like regular lines, so they should be counted too.

No point bemoaning about a senior base. No other major pax carrier has a PDX base, and so that is worth something to some people living there.

They are like regular lines, so they should be counted too.

No point bemoaning about a senior base. No other major pax carrier has a PDX base, and so that is worth something to some people living there.

Sure I guess. I was acknowledging that I didn’t look up the bidding for open flying to see what seniority is holding the open flying.

Nor did I bother to look and see where the red eyes end seniority wise. A huge factor, for me…

In Seattle I’m number 275 in base and red eyes begin at 276, if you sort your lines that way of course. At 4 years plus seniority I can barely avoid red eyes at our most JR base. If everyone bid like me of course…

I’m guessing that is a lot more years out for PDX. Something important to consider.

Back