Oh Alaska(n)

With the amount of pilots AS is loosing due to retirements, attrition and what ever else reasons how hard is the PIC requirement for new hires?

I don’t work there, but am in a similar situation. It’s not that the arguments the unions are making don’t have merit, they do. But their campaign to secure a new contract is to constantly beat the drum of how terrible things are. You have to realize this and not let it effect your day to day life, it will only make you (more?) miserable. Those that spend the most time reading and consuming union material and perusing (and engaging) union message boards are the most disgruntled. (I exclude those that are actual elected reps).

You just have to look at it at face value. They are pointing things out factually. Getting emotional about it is a mistake. Bringing it up in an adult manner is fine. The union comms are extremely professional. Don’t confuse them with rando posts on places like APC. That’s a mistake made by the insecure. Be frank, be factual and turn off the phone when you get home if you have to.

We are professionals and deserve to be treated as such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What PIC requirements?
Online, the app advertises PIC time preferred, however at a recent meet and greet with a chief, they had alluded to upgrading because Alaska wants pilots with turbine pic.

In talking with several friends at your shop, they were confused that this was said due to the severe lack of pilots.

I dont know, thought I’d get y’alls consensus

Online, the app advertises PIC time preferred, however at a recent meet and greet with a chief, they had alluded to upgrading because Alaska wants pilots with turbine pic.

In talking with several friends at your shop, they were confused that this was said due to the severe lack of pilots.

Packing your flight case and wanting to say deuces already? ;)

What they want and what they can get are two different things. I don’t mean that as a slight to you. The fact is that there’s just not that many candidates whose cup runneth over with TPIC these days. Apply early. Apply often. Hound the • out of any and all base chiefs. Once you’re hired, beers on me.

It sounded like there were a few low time TPIC pilots that got the nod in that group, not sure if any had 0 hours TPIC though. Wish I could be more specific but it’s a small sample size at best.

You just have to look at it at face value. They are pointing things out factually. Getting emotional about it is a mistake. Bringing it up in an adult manner is fine. The union comms are extremely professional. Don’t confuse them with rando posts on places like APC. That’s a mistake made by the insecure. Be frank, be factual and turn off the phone when you get home if you have to.

We are professionals and deserve to be treated as such.
It's important to note that the union has done a TON of membership polling, administered by the University of New Hampshire. The MEC has the data and hard numbers on what the majority of the pilot group wants. They're not going rouge. If someone feels like their voice isn't being heard, participate in the polling, picketing ;), go to a coffee sit event, and contact your rep. The only thing that guides policy is pilot input.

It sounded like there were a few low time TPIC pilots that got the nod in that group, not sure if any had 0 hours TPIC though. Wish I could be more specific but it’s a small sample size at best.

Sadly at that point it’s more about who you know that who you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What they want and what they can get are two different things. I don’t mean that as a slight to you. The fact is that there’s just not that many candidates whose cup runneth over with TPIC these days. Apply early. Apply often. Hound the • out of any and all base chiefs. Once you’re hired, beers on me.

it almost sounded like this chief was asking if I “caught their drift” as in I won’t get an interview without upgrading first, if that makes sense.

Sounds good though, I’ll keep at it!!

I didn’t realize you guys were this close to voting on strike authorization. Your union ain’t messing around.

I could see intervention of a return to work order from the government and a cooling off period, much like Bill Clinton did with American in ‘97, if only due to how much Alaska supports up in the state there.

Clinton stopped the American strike at the APA’s request. Joe Biden is the most pro-labor president since FDR. He won’t stop a strike unless ALPA requests it (which they wouldn’t).

That said, the NMB needs to proffer arbitration before any of this matters, and I’d be surprised to see that so soon.

Come on guys. This is a strike authorization vote, simply checking a box that needs to be checked. Ain't no release, cooling happening.

Clinton stopped the American strike at the APA’s request. Joe Biden is the most pro-labor president since FDR. He won’t stop a strike unless ALPA requests it (which they wouldn’t).

That said, the NMB needs to proffer arbitration before any of this matters, and I’d be surprised to see that so soon.

Why would APA, the union who allowed the strike to happen, ask for the strike to stop from the President?

Why would APA, the union who allowed the strike to happen, ask for the strike to stop from the President?

The APA got themselves in a bit of a bind (as they always do, because they’re wildly reckless and incompetent). They realized that there was no possible deal that could be reached that the members would vote for because they had made the mistake of whipping them into too much of a frenzy. They were on the path to an unwinnable strike. They called Bruce Lindsey, Clinton‘s Deputy White House Counsel, and told him that things sure would be a lot easier if the President would issue a PEB, because if a third party was involved and told the pilots they were asking for too much, they might actually convince the rank and file to take a reasonable deal. Clinton dutifully obliged.

This sort of situation is exactly why @BobDDuck was talking about the dangers of releasing aggressive openers. It can create a situation that it is hard for union leaders to keep under control.

Back to the TMPIC question, couldn't begin to answer what they are looking for, but there were a few SKW guys in my interview group that had upgraded very recently to CA. And of the two who didn't get hired, one had a lot of 121 PIC somewhere else.

Back