Oh Alaska(n)

Just ask the Frontier guys. As close to a case one could come to for getting released, but nothing.

You don't know who his employer is do you?

Beat me to it.

1652204998482.png

Sure I guess. I was acknowledging that I didn’t look up the bidding for open flying to see what seniority is holding the open flying.

Nor did I bother to look and see where the red eyes end seniority wise. A huge factor, for me…

In Seattle I’m number 275 in base and red eyes begin at 276, if you sort your lines that way of course. At 4 years plus seniority I can barely avoid red eyes at our most JR base. If everyone bid like me of course…

I’m guessing that is a lot more years out for PDX. Something important to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PBS - with appropriate work rules - would solve a lot of that problem.

Bidding dynamics on the CA side are different. I bid every line - I'll take my chances in step trading and swapping with open time. Yet for June, I couldn't hold a single line in LA. I could have held several lines in all the other Boeing bases, ANC, SEA, and PDX.

I'd be about 69% in PDX and am about 74% at LAX - so within 5% points.

For June, I could have held line #20 in PDX! (it went to someone junior to me) That would have been a 16 day off line with the first 8 days of June off, and respectable check in/check out times. Of the 127 lines at PDX, I could have held 18.

For LAX I couldn't hold a single line of the 121 total. Hoping to snag an OF line, if not, I'll be back on reserve.

PBS - with appropriate work rules - would solve a lot of that problem.

Bidding dynamics on the CA side are different. I bid every line - I'll take my chances in step trading and swapping with open time. Yet for June, I couldn't hold a single line in LA. I could have held several lines in all the other Boeing bases, ANC, SEA, and PDX.

For June, I could have held line #20 in PDX! (it went to someone junior to me) That would have been a 16 day off line with the first 8 days of June off, and respectable check in/check out times. Of the 127 lines at PDX, I could have held 18.

For LAX I couldn't hold a single line of the 121 total. Hoping to snag an OF line, if not, I'll be back on reserve.

RIP bro. See you in Seattle when you’re covering trips on out of base reserve. ANC captains are super bummed about that.

We can't be sent to another base to sit reserve, we have to be assigned a flight to operate out of that base.

If I'm on a stretch of reserve, and I end up with an overnight in a place like SEA or PDX and the next day is a DH home to LA, that's where they can get me and assign more flying in that base. I've made it a habit now to call to be released from a deadhead every time on reserve as soon as I land in that city. They either have to assign you more flying right then on the phone call, or they must release you. By not doing it, you give them all night to find something in PDX or SEA (wherever you are). And they will find something. I call to be released, if they find more flying then so be it, at least I'm flying/moving through my reserve stretch. But if they got nothing, then release me and I go back home and sit reserve in LA.

I should have said DH to reserve in Seattle... that is what most of the ANC based captains haven't been to stoked on this spring. At least the ones I've flown with.

We can't be sent to another base to sit reserve, we have to be assigned a flight to operate out of that base.

If I'm on a stretch of reserve, and I end up with an overnight in a place like SEA or PDX and the next day is a DH home to LA, that's where they can get me and assign more flying in that base. I've made it a habit now to call to be released from a deadhead every time on reserve as soon as I land in that city. They either have to assign you more flying right then on the phone call, or they must release you. By not doing it, you give them all night to find something in PDX or SEA (wherever you are). And they will find something. I call to be released, if they find more flying then so be it, at least I'm flying/moving through my reserve stretch. But if they got nothing, then release me and I go back home and sit reserve in LA.

This sounds like some truly horrible Reserve language and just bad trip award/assignment language in general.

This sounds like some truly horrible Reserve language and just bad trip award/assignment language in general.

No one said it’s good. What airline you at? I would think that most airlines, a reserve pilot schedule is subject to change.

Say you have a 5-day stretch of reserve. You get a 2-day from your base in LA to Chicago and then tomorrow DH back to LA. You mean to tell me once you land in Chicago, the company can no longer reach out to you and change your schedule then next day? And they have to leave your DH on? Even if you have 4 more days of reserve?

No one said it’s good. What airline you at? I would think that most airlines, a reserve pilot schedule is subject to change.

Say you have a 5-day stretch of reserve. You get a 2-day from your base in LA to Chicago and then tomorrow DH back to LA. You mean to tell me once you land in Chicago, the company can no longer reach out to you and change your schedule then next day? And they have to leave your DH on? Even if you have 4 more days of reserve?

Canx makeup is when this gets ruthless. Doubly so for commuters

A strike vote is over a bad contract? And nothing to do with 3 yrs in negotiations with no changes? Lets get real please. We are doing a strike over stalled negotiations. It could be a kick ass contract but if it’s 3 yrs beyond amendable date and other peers have moved ahead, then you take this next step.

That said, this is just going through the motions. Ain’t no way we are getting released to strike.

Can’t change your schedule here or assigning more flying unless in certain IROP/cancellation level where they can disrupt our schedule. Even then there are some limits to what can be done. We can also push a button on the ipad and elect to “self dhd” soon as the trip is assigned. No need to call.
Yes, besides a cancellation/irop issue you fly your assigned trip then go back on reserve the following day if on a stretch of short call res.

Now… as far as moving reserve days around… that’s a problem that needs fixing on our next contract.

Last edited:

This is one good thing we have in our contract at Spirit. Once you’re assigned a trip, you’re treated like a line holder. They can reschedule you, but we get paid extra, depending on what they give us. I got 5 hours over guarantee because I was reassigned into a redeye.

Back