nursing to aviation...or both?

srleslie

So to make a LONG story short, I have dreamed of aviation my entire life and I knew from the age of a young boy I wanted to be a pilot. There was nothing else in the world I wanted to do. But I grew up being told I was color blind and I eventually gave the ream up. I sort of accepted my reality and move on to other things. But nothing else has seemed to make me happy. I'm 28 now and I've dabbled in quite few different things. I finished a biology degree and now I'm in nursing school.

It was in the first semester of nursing school that they made us take a color vision test, not a requirement for the school but merely to let us know if we might have any kind of color deficiency. To my surprise I did miss a few of them but I got enough right to still pass the test per the FAA requirements. I would later find the keystone vision test and pass it as well. You can imagine my shock and disappointment at finding out I'm only mildly color deficient and I could have been flying all of these years.

So I'm working full-time as an LPN now making $20 an hour and for the first time in my life have a stable job and financial stability. I'm currently in school pursuing requirements to get my RN license. I will be done in December. I do enjoy the medical field and I have found something I'm fairly good at and I know it will provide a stable career. Yet, deep down, I know I will never be really fulfilled with nursing and that it will just be a job. I don't know if I can be happy in it for 20 or 30 years. With this realization the dream keeps creeping back up, bit by bit. I think it's only going to keep getting stronger and I believe I might regret it if I don't give aviation a try. I'm also at the point in my life where for the first time I can actually afford to pursue my certificates. I am considering obtaining my private over the summer.

All that said, I wonder if at age 28 it is really worth trying to pursue a career in flying. I am not looking to make a lot of money (there's not a lot in nursing either really, maybe more stability) but to just have a comfortable life and be happy and be doing something I love. The nature of nursing would also allow me to be a pilot and work on an as-needed basis as a nurse, thus I would always have a backup, and could do both at the same time if I wanted. The airlines aren't necessarily my goal either. I would be happy flying something smaller, maybe corporate and maybe topping out around 100K which I think is still reasonable in aviation. So just looking for your advice and input. Give it to me like it is...I'm sure there are things I'm not thinking of. I know I wrote a book but I'm approaching 30 and need to make a decision about which way I should take my life. Thanks guys.

When I first began researching flight training, I would often bend the ear of one of my coworkers at the police department who was also a pilot. I would ask him about employment as a pilot and the first thing he said to me was don't get into aviation to get a job. He said get into it because you absolutely love to fly. I got into aviation later in life, in my 40s and I think his advice was right on the mark. I never planned on becoming a Commercial Pilot and certainly never thought I'd be working (even part time as I am) as a flight instructor. My love of aviation kind of just took me to where I am now. Now, I have my full time job as a cop and work part time flight instructing in the mighty 172. It's not a shiny jet and doesn't have glass, but I'm still flying.

Consider that as an option. You have your nursing credentials and can persue flying on the side. If you make it to CFI, MEI, do both. I'm also a paramedic so I know the medical field. Once you get your RN there are many areas of nursing that will become available to you. With additional certifications in ACLS and critical care, you then can consider the ER, ICU, CCU, OR, Recovery and many other areas. The interesting thing about flight instructing even in small planes is two fold. One, as soon as the those wheels leave the ground, you're as much of a pilot as the guy driving the 747. You still got to land the damm thing. The other, it's great flying on my days of and such, and still get to sleep in my own bed at the end of the day. All I'm suggesting is persue both. Either way, you have something to fall back on.
I'm new here but I hope that helps as a little food for thought.

Job primary, fly on the side. There are too many pilots for too few jobs and it drives the wages down. Don't plan on making a living flying.

If I had to ability to do it all over again,

When I got out of the Marines, I would have gone to nursing school and fly for fun on the side. If I had done that, I wouldn't still have all my student loans hanging over my head, and I could have built my RV-7 by now instead of just dreaming about being able to start in a few years.

Seriously.

When people ask me what it's like working as a pilot I tell them "It's a wonderful hobby, it's an OK job, but it's a crappy career". You can ask the majority of pilots here who never get to fly for fun because they don't have the time or money.

I get what all of you are saying but I'm afraid I will regret it if I never try. I can always fall back on nursing. Decisions decisions....fortunately no family at the moment to hold me down. Maybe I should end up flying for netjets or similar operation.

WOW, interesting thread!

I've been considering leaving my current job to go to PA school for a couple of years now, but I'm still on the fence trying to decide if I should go for a flying job instead, specifically bush flying or corporate. I've regretted not flying for a living for the last couple of decades and time just keeps ticking away. Now I'm afraid it might be too late, realistically, for me to pursue a flying career.

I'm 42 right now, but if I were 28 and single with no kids, I would be chasing a flying job without a doubt! If it didn't work out for one reason or another, at least I was able to try it out. I would still be young enough and have plenty of life left to pursue a different career, or in your case go back to nursing, if flying for a living didn't pan out or wasn't what I thought it would be.

It's funny how similar our stories are srleslie. Just like you, I've loved aviation my entire life and have always wanted to be a pilot. Growing up as the son of an Air Force pilot, I lived a relatively sheltered life and thought the only way to become a pilot was through the military. Well, I started wearing glasses around 1981 or so and knew the dream was dead right there due to a vision issue. I found out in my early 20's that civilians can learn to fly too and I went after it without hesitation! I was working on my CFI when I had to stop. Two decades later, I still don't have my CFI.

Unlike you though srleslie, I have a big family, which makes it more difficult for me to justify leaving my job to pursue either a career as a PA, or a career as a pilot. Like I said earlier, if I were in my twenties with no responsibilities, I would be following my dreams until they either came true or turned into nightmares.

Similar situation to you, only I'm ~12 years further down the road. I've been an RN for 16 years, a CFI for five years. Of course, I have a family and no sugar mama, so it's a bit of apples/oranges comparison.
Things to think about:
1. DO NOT GO INTO DEBT!!! train at an FBO in your spare time. There are relatively inexpensive ways to fly for fun (clubs, shared ownership) that you can get into if you poke around and ask people.

2. Nursing can be extremely flexible; for awhile I was working 2 -12s a week (depending on facility, you can get half-time health ins down to 20hrs), and flying on my days off. If you had a PRN job and didn't need bennies, you could just fill in PRN on non-flying days.

3. If I were in your position, I'd get my RN through an ADN program, then do an online ADN>BSN, get a few years in a busy teaching facility SICU that does CT surg/balloon pumps and trauma, then go to CRNA school. You should be able to get into an ICU with the ADN only, and you can work on the BSN at the same time. I got sidetracked out of the CRNA track, which I somewhat regret now.

4. Get into CRNA school before any kids show up. After CRNA school, you can pretty much do what you want aviation-wise. My wife's friend is an AA (same basic job description, different certification), works 1-12 and 1-24 a week, and pulls down 6 figures. Husband is a stay at home dad, and they're either about to totally implode financially, or she's not lying about her income (we're still undecided on that one, but they have a big house, two new cars, do expensive vacations constantly, and the kids pretty much define 'spoiled')

Similar situation to you, only I'm ~12 years further down the road. I've been an RN for 16 years, a CFI for five years. Of course, I have a family and no sugar mama, so it's a bit of apples/oranges comparison.
Things to think about:
1. DO NOT GO INTO DEBT!!! train at an FBO in your spare time. There are relatively inexpensive ways to fly for fun (clubs, shared ownership) that you can get into if you poke around and ask people.

2. Nursing can be extremely flexible; for awhile I was working 2 -12s a week (depending on facility, you can get half-time health ins down to 20hrs), and flying on my days off. If you had a PRN job and didn't need bennies, you could just fill in PRN on non-flying days.

3. If I were in your position, I'd get my RN through an ADN program, then do an online ADN>BSN, get a few years in a busy teaching facility SICU that does CT surg/balloon pumps and trauma, then go to CRNA school. You should be able to get into an ICU with the ADN only, and you can work on the BSN at the same time. I got sidetracked out of the CRNA track, which I somewhat regret now.

4. Get into CRNA school before any kids show up. After CRNA school, you can pretty much do what you want aviation-wise. My wife's friend is an AA (same basic job description, different certification), works 1-12 and 1-24 a week, and pulls down 6 figures. Husband is a stay at home dad, and they're either about to totally implode financially, or she's not lying about her income (we're still undecided on that one, but they have a big house, two new cars, do expensive vacations constantly, and the kids pretty much define 'spoiled')

I'm actually in a BSN program at the moment and will graduate in December, so that hat will be taken care of. If I choose to pursue a nursing career I will definitely get an APN degree but right now nurse anesthesia doesn't interest me. I do want to work in critical care so we will see.

I have actually dreamed of working in the bush in Alaska so I might could fly up there 1 or 2 week on/off and spend the other time working as a nurse.

My girlfriend is supportive and I think I'm going to give it a shot with a plan on starting flight training in June. I will only pay as I go. No loans for me. If I don't give it a show I will always wonder.

Preface: I don't know much about nursing at all. But that said, it seems like in the last month I've seen quite a few job postings for flight nurses. I'm not really sure what those type people do and what the job entails, but it could be something to consider doing, since you seem to have a desire to do things related to nursing and flying.

My girlfriend is supportive and I think I'm going to give it a shot with a plan on starting flight training in June. I will only pay as I go. No loans for me. If I don't give it a show I will always wonder.
Good plan - take your time, learn as much as possible, have fun with it, network, and make use of the massive knowledge and experience on JC. But no matter what, don't let either your nursing license or CFI certificates expire!

My girlfriend is a nurse. She works 3 12 hour days with a fairly consistent schedule. They paid for her to go to school, reimburse her for her commuting expenses, paid for our move to Washington DC, she racks up PTO like no other and makes very good money for a 25 year old recent grad. Sometimes I wish I could hack hospitals but I can't.

I would get the private and instrument then make a decision on whether or not to pursue flying as a career. Heck you could continue on and CFI on the side if you wanted. Between nursing and your CFI gig you'd be pulling down a decent living and be home every night.

Nursing is hard. My gf is an OR nurse and its not all peaches. She comes home exhausted.

I took loans for school and fight training and it has worked out financially for me. I stayed away from the regionals though.

Despite my success, I realize how much of it is luck and realistically, USMCMech said it best:

"It's a wonderful hobby, it's an OK job, but it's a crappy career".

I think it's only going to keep getting stronger and I believe I might regret it if I don't give aviation a try.
I know exactly how you and ModernIcarus feel. I always wanted to be a pilot but was unable to pursue the dream. I finally managed to get my Private last summer. Beyond that things look very unlikely given the time and (more importantly) money situation. I just turned 30. I regret not having pursued it and taken out a loan (when I had the chance) to do the same.

As someone else said - start out by getting your Private and then see how things work out. As long as you are doing the pay as you go thing, you will be in great shape! Network, make the most of JC and more importantly - do keep us posted on your decision and the progress you make.

Cheers and good luck! ;)

So to make a LONG story short, I have dreamed of aviation my entire life and I knew from the age of a young boy I wanted to be a pilot. There was nothing else in the world I wanted to do. But I grew up being told I was color blind and I eventually gave the ream up. I sort of accepted my reality and move on to other things. But nothing else has seemed to make me happy. I'm 28 now and I've dabbled in quite few different things. I finished a biology degree and now I'm in nursing school.

It was in the first semester of nursing school that they made us take a color vision test, not a requirement for the school but merely to let us know if we might have any kind of color deficiency. To my surprise I did miss a few of them but I got enough right to still pass the test per the FAA requirements. I would later find the keystone vision test and pass it as well. You can imagine my shock and disappointment at finding out I'm only mildly color deficient and I could have been flying all of these years.

So I'm working full-time as an LPN now making $20 an hour and for the first time in my life have a stable job and financial stability. I'm currently in school pursuing requirements to get my RN license. I will be done in December. I do enjoy the medical field and I have found something I'm fairly good at and I know it will provide a stable career. Yet, deep down, I know I will never be really fulfilled with nursing and that it will just be a job. I don't know if I can be happy in it for 20 or 30 years. With this realization the dream keeps creeping back up, bit by bit. I think it's only going to keep getting stronger and I believe I might regret it if I don't give aviation a try. I'm also at the point in my life where for the first time I can actually afford to pursue my certificates. I am considering obtaining my private over the summer.

All that said, I wonder if at age 28 it is really worth trying to pursue a career in flying. I am not looking to make a lot of money (there's not a lot in nursing either really, maybe more stability) but to just have a comfortable life and be happy and be doing something I love. The nature of nursing would also allow me to be a pilot and work on an as-needed basis as a nurse, thus I would always have a backup, and could do both at the same time if I wanted. The airlines aren't necessarily my goal either. I would be happy flying something smaller, maybe corporate and maybe topping out around 100K which I think is still reasonable in aviation. So just looking for your advice and input. Give it to me like it is...I'm sure there are things I'm not thinking of. I know I wrote a book but I'm approaching 30 and need to make a decision about which way I should take my life. Thanks guys.
=============================
You have a great question and decision on your hands. But looking back from a 20+ career flying, I'd say go for the nursing position. The reasons are plenty:
1. Low airline pay
2. Career path is unpredictable. - I had 7 years experience (2 at a flight college) and 2400 hours before being hired at Eagle. Then spent the next 5+ years in the bottom 10% seniority list, making dirt money. So at age 32, I was making a whopping $23 grand! And yes, even back then they had been calling for a pilot shortage.
3. I worked many 14 hour days, and only get paid for 3 hours! Or sometimes, getting a Christmas layover in some God forsaken airport hotel and not make a dime, being away from family, and not having a single business open to get food.
4. I've been threatened with my job for not landing in a Level 5 thunderstorm.
5. Man there are a bunch of egos in this field. And you'll have to pull the gear handle for everyone of them.
6. Look at the mess the country is in. Our government could not govern a toddler. And you want to work in a field controlled by the FAA. I have a 100 stories the many ego driven idiots there.

Anyway.... I could go on and on and on. Seriously, I could. I have so many stories that it's just not right.

But forget this so called dream, passion, or drive, that you have. The simple truth is, it's a matter of value. Do you value your time, holidays, relationships, and quality of life? If you do, then you'll see that getting paid $20/hour (every hour) and any of the available 24 that are in a day, is much better than making $20/ FLIGHT HOUR. Once you save some money, then get some buddies and buy that $20K Cessna to get your jollies. Trust me, it's just as alluring as your pilot uniform to the chicks. haha And 20 years down the road, you will thank me when reviewing your 401K statement.

=============================
You have a great question and decision on your hands. But looking back from a 20+ career flying, I'd say go for the nursing position. The reasons are plenty:
1. Low airline pay
2. Career path is unpredictable. - I had 7 years experience (2 at a flight college) and 2400 hours before being hired at Eagle. Then spent the next 5+ years in the bottom 10% seniority list, making dirt money. So at age 32, I was making a whopping $23 grand! And yes, even back then they had been calling for a pilot shortage.
3. I worked many 14 hour days, and only get paid for 3 hours! Or sometimes, getting a Christmas layover in some God forsaken airport hotel and not make a dime, being away from family, and not having a single business open to get food.
4. I've been threatened with my job for not landing in a Level 5 thunderstorm.
5. Man there are a bunch of egos in this field. And you'll have to pull the gear handle for everyone of them.
6. Look at the mess the country is in. Our government could not govern a toddler. And you want to work in a field controlled by the FAA. I have a 100 stories the many ego driven idiots there.

Anyway.... I could go on and on and on. Seriously, I could. I have so many stories that it's just not right.

But forget this so called dream, passion, or drive, that you have. The simple truth is, it's a matter of value. Do you value your time, holidays, relationships, and quality of life? If you do, then you'll see that getting paid $20/hour (every hour) and any of the available 24 that are in a day, is much better than making $20/ FLIGHT HOUR. Once you save some money, then get some buddies and buy that $20K Cessna to get your jollies. Trust me, it's just as alluring as your pilot uniform to the chicks. haha And 20 years down the road, you will thank me when reviewing your 401K statement.

Great post! I wish I was given that kind of advice when I was getting started! Every word posted was spot on.

"It's a wonderful hobby, it's an OK job, but it's a crappy career".

Great quote! Probably true in general, though there are also likely a few pilot positions that do make for a great career, with decent pay and home every night........ corporate shuttle and law enforcement flying come to mind..... though I think those are more the exception than the rule. Helicopter jobs may have pretty decent pay and home most every night too, but the path to a professional turbine helicopter flying job is even more difficult (and expensive) than F/W, unless you were/are military trained.

However, for your specific nurse < to > pilot situation, I am going to go with the majority and say to continue your career as a nurse. The job flexibility it affords you will allow you to pursue your pilot training (and I agree with the other posters: pay as you go and train at a local FBO; do not go into debt)..... while still earning a decent living as a nurse. A loooong time ago, I was a 19 year old 135 pilot flying cabin class piston twins and light turbine stuff, and got out of it after 3 years because of the working conditions, low pay, and my preference for sleeping in my own bed at night, etc....... I became a cop, did some CFI'ing and other flying "on the side", made a decent enough living to buy a little family airplane, and eventually ended up at the Aviation Unit of my law enforcement agency, flying both helicopters and F/W. My point is, if you can do both - while not counting on aviation for your primary paycheck - you will have career and job advantages and flexibility that others who are not similarly "dual-qualfied" (!) will never be able to match.

Good luck! Keep us posted on how it all goes.

You don't have to be an airline pilot.

I agree with there being very few pilot positions these days that make for a great career. With all the downsides of being an airline pilot, it surely was better then when I was flight instructing(6 days a week/12 hours a day/horrible pay) and doing aerial surveying(3 weeks on/1 week off/12 hours day/horrible pay). I do have friends that have had great pilot careers but there is alot of luck involved to that side also.

Back