NTSB chief laments omission of cargo planes in FAA pilot fatigue rules

A little off-topic here, but...I don't understand why pilots put up with this crap.

I'd rather leave aviation than consistently deal with some of the time zone hopping scenarios you guys are talking about. Not to mention, I'd quit if I worked for a company that had so little regard for its crews' rest.

At my company, crew scheduling actually does a decent job of building realistic schedules. There are some long days, and busy days, but rarely long and busy. If we call in fatigued, we still get paid for the trip we were scheduled for.

Granted, most of us live in base and operate within the same time zone. But really, how hard is it to design a "livable" schedule at an airline? Does it *really* cost so much more that it would put the operation out of business?

Do you all deal with fatigue for the same reason a lot of FOs are willing to make $23k/year? Because you love to fly? I'm not pointing fingers. It just seems like an effed up system on both ends, where management doesn't care and the pilots aren't willing to walk away.

I'm going to bed now...my show time is in 9 hours!

Back