New Question: Your Goals after ATC?

MaestroJJP

Hi folks, long time reader here.

I'm in PUBNAT8, took test in Oct 09, scored WQ, waiting as everyone else is.

My question is a bit different - do you have any goals for your career besides ATC in aviation?

For example, it's my hope that I could be in ATC for 5-10 years and then perhaps move into either a supervisory position, or even moreso, a position with the FAA that travels, establishes rules/regulations/recommendations for runway safety, airport infrastructure, etc., or perhaps an airport business development position (I've been a professional salesperson my entire career thus far). Also, a management/director position within a corporate aviation department for a larger company could be interesting.

So, does anyone have any similar goals, or do you plan to remain in ATC for most of your career? Does anyone have any success stories to share in this area of thinking?

Don't get me wrong, I love everything about ATC - I listen to it in the car on the way to work - but I want to ulimately move even further.

Much appreciated in advance! I'm 28, but having a serious, serious "mid-life crisis" when it comes to my career - I've got a well paying, stable business development job in consulting, but I absolutely love aviation (especially airports and airport infrastructure - from runways to approach
lighting to jetbridges and everything in between) - and I'd love for that to be my ultimate career path. Even with a pay cut to start.

I even met with our international airport's vice president of business development to discuss options, conventions/associations I could get involved with, and more.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
JJP

I'm on the complete opposite end of the spectrum there -- I have no expectations of moving to management or using it as a stepping stone. I've wanted to do this since I was in 3rd grade and finally found my chance without having to get a CTI degree.

As with any career, I'm pretty sure the FAA is expecting you to be in it for the long haul -- especially when the cutoff age for new hires is 31 -- and my mind can't envision getting in, staying for 5-10 years to get my feet wet, and then using that as my stepping stone for something bigger (and not necessarily better). Granted, I've done that in my career at this point until the economy tanked and all jobs disappeared, but I've also been in a very "stepping stone" industry (IT) that encourages that sort of thing.

I've known two tower guys and one center guy that have made the controlling aspect their career for life and never looked back. The center guy has been asked to move to management, and he refused, citing his love for his current position. Even though he has taken on a trainer role as well, he still does traffic all the time and couldn't envision himself doing anything else. That's how I'm hoping it will be in 25 years.

Now I just have to get my FOL and get on with that process!

like ive always said ATC is one job that people fight so hard to get , than once they get it fight so hard not to have to do it.do us a favor office weenies are a dime a dozen and if you dont want to control dont waste everybodys time training you.also i do not think 28 is considered mid life.

OG

P.S. and proud of the 29 years 3 months and 27 days i was on the boards.

I agree with queeno...don't waste peoples time if your just gonna bail and get a sup's position.

Check the FAA website for jobs that involve:

...a position with the FAA that travels, establishes rules/regulations/recommendations for runway safety, airport infrastructure, etc., or perhaps an airport business development position.

First see if having 5-10 years of ATC will help you get one of those jobs. If so, go for it. Otherwise you'd probably be better off spending those five to ten years preparing yourself for the job you really wanted from the outset.

BTW... welcome to JC!

I don't think there is any thing wrong with taking a sups job or trying to advance your life or your families life. Its not a waste of time for any one to spend time training any one. Thats their job, controllers doing OJT get 10% and if they don't like training don't train. I'm all for advancement, if you want to do some thing else go for it. No one tells a football player not to coach later on in his career.

I know a couple of controllers that have their sights set on a management position and theyre not even checked out at their facility yet. I find that somewhat odd... but hey, maybe they know something i dont. I have heard that if you cant handle being a controller, be a supervisor.

Even though my feet are barely wet, I do know this much... walking in as a new hire with that mentality won't get you checked out. The CPC's have crazy ears and eyes, they know the difference between those who want to put forth the effort to work traffic, and those who are a waste of training time.

If you're looking at the position as a stepping stone, it'll never happen. I work my ass off with the intention of being a great controller, and there's still days I wonder if I'll make it.

I don't think there is any thing wrong with taking a sups job or trying to advance your life or your families life. Its not a waste of time for any one to spend time training any one. Thats their job, controllers doing OJT get 10% and if they don't like training don't train. I'm all for advancement, if you want to do some thing else go for it. No one tells a football player not to coach later on in his career.

thats because you have never had one of those one year wonders that dont know there arse from a hole in the ground stand behind you and tell you how to do you job at a sector that they are not even checked out on.they would only make that mistake with me once!

OG

thats because you have never had one of those one year wonders that dont know there arse from a hole in the ground stand behind you and tell you how to do you job at a sector that they are not even checked out on.they would only make that mistake with me once!

OG

You seriously just described every Sup in my area

Hi folks, long time reader here.

I'm in PUBNAT8, took test in Oct 09, scored WQ, waiting as everyone else is.

My question is a bit different - do you have any goals for your career besides ATC in aviation?

For example, it's my hope that I could be in ATC for 5-10 years and then perhaps move into either a supervisory position, or even moreso, a position with the FAA that travels, establishes rules/regulations/recommendations for runway safety, airport infrastructure, etc., or perhaps an airport business development position (I've been a professional salesperson my entire career thus far). Also, a management/director position within a corporate aviation department for a larger company could be interesting.

So, does anyone have any similar goals, or do you plan to remain in ATC for most of your career? Does anyone have any success stories to share in this area of thinking?

Don't get me wrong, I love everything about ATC - I listen to it in the car on the way to work - but I want to ulimately move even further.

Much appreciated in advance! I'm 28, but having a serious, serious "mid-life crisis" when it comes to my career - I've got a well paying, stable business development job in consulting, but I absolutely love aviation (especially airports and airport infrastructure - from runways to approach
lighting to jetbridges and everything in between) - and I'd love for that to be my ultimate career path. Even with a pay cut to start.

I even met with our international airport's vice president of business development to discuss options, conventions/associations I could get involved with, and more.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
JJP

Well...this subject brings back memories of Queeno or whatever his name is and I having it out in a previous forum about this same subject. Lol Ur not the only one who is looking at career advancement, like I said before there were more than 5 ppl in my OKC class who had plans of using ATC as a means of advancement. I've been told, that to become a supe, you have to be either a horrible controller, or have had a deal (sad, but true). I don't understand why controllers complain about management so much lets take a look: They don't have to work traffic, don't have to worry about having a deal, get paid more than controllers, they don't have nearly as much stress controller who work traffic have (which in is better for their overall health) and do a fraction of the work, and get to do paper work and chill all day what am I missing? I'm a college grad, who was accepted into a Ph.D program before the FAA called maybe someone can explain to me why all the gripes?

ATC is first choice - if they take me, I`ll pursue this career full throttle. One of my brothers in a management position at a YVR company - not my kind of job. I guess one of the greatest benefits in control is that you never leave any work on your desk for the following day. In the event they burst my bubble in the selection process I`ll probably pursue a career in engineering.

Back