New guy on the block

JimAK

Hey guys... long time lurker, first time poster. I've been browsing through the ADX threads for a few weeks, and finally created an account a few days ago to start joining in.

I'm a mid-life career changer - Retired from the US Air Force (enlisted) nearly 4 years ago, and decided to go to college. I'll be graduating in a few weeks with a BS in Aviation Management, and (in theory) my DX ticket. I passed the written back in December, and am scheduled for the O/P in about 3 weeks. My university has a Part 65 cert for DX training, wrapping all of the 200 required hours into seven traditional semester-long courses - for some of us, that was spread out over 3 years of schooling. Five courses that most students take anyway (weather, FARs, airline ops, aerodynamics, aircraft systsm, etc.), and two dedicated to dispatching.

Anyway... I'm excited and nervous. I grew up around General Aviation, and had wanted to go the commercial piloting route. Got accepted to the UND pilot program in 1990, but stupid teenager decisions cancelled that plan, and I ended up in the military instead. Never lost my passion for aviation, or the aviation industry, though. I figured going the dispatcher route was a course correction to put me back where my passion lies.

I'm a bit nervous for a few reasons: one, i've never been a "civilian". 45 years old, and I've never applied for a job... never interviewed for a job... never had to live "office politics". My wife comes home from her corporate job every day with stories that make me shake my head. "You'll see", she just says. "Just kick them in the ass with your boots", I say, "Correct their attitude and change their behavior!". So, I'm an old-dog NCO trying to learn some new tricks. I'm sure the fact that most of my supervisors up several steps will all be younger than me will be an adjustment as well.

None of that is to say that I'm difficult, and set in my ways. I'm pretty sure I'll adjust to life just fine, and I'm easy to get along with. I think I'm fairly well qualified - and possibly much more qualified than most newly-minted DXers. I've spent many years in high-paced operation centers, with 27 things needing done at once and the ability to prioritize those things under pressure a must-have skill. Buckle under the stress, and bad things can happen.

I've noticed in my browsing of these thread for the past few weeks that there seems to be a "reluctance" (might not be the right word) for people to indicate where they're from or where they work. Is this just typical internet anonymity, or is there something more to it? I imagine it's a small world, and saying something wrong might have repercussions? Or, is it more of a "competition" thing? Everyone angling for a small number of jobs, so disclosing who you are and where you are is a disadvantage? Or am I just imagining that part of it?

Anyway, looking forward to the discussions and being part of an active group.

First, welcome and best of luck! I know a guy who recently found employment in the dispatch profession and has a LOT of parallels to your story. I think you'll be fine and will enjoy it.

The anonymity, in my opinion, can be summed up in a few ways.

- If you're slinging flights at a really nice joint and don't want to be bombarded with "When you are hiring?" "Can you put in a good word for me?" "What does the interview consist of? I need to know every answer." --- from strangers. People you don't know or have never worked with. We are here to help with career advice, etc. to everyone. But, for those kind of "special" bits of information, I expect at least three meals (or dates) before I put out. If it's breakfast, lunch, and dinner on the same day - I MAY consider it three dates if at least two of them include alcohol (in no particular order).

- If you're the kind of "easy person" to put out after three meals, like me, and you don't want all of your colleagues in the industry to know. Or, if you make embarrassing, disturbing, or generally awful comments casually in an internet forum environment and prefer to avoid repercussions from future employers or industry colleagues. What you say can and will be used against you. People might judge you. Like those prudes who require 10 meals. Oh, you're so much BETTER than me! So Precious.

Managers and colleagues can (and do) browse these forums, essentially. Yes, many of us have met or know each other through mutual acquaintances or co-workers (present or past). But we're willing to overlook our shortcomings based on a blood oath drawn and sworn upon in various initiation rituals. Many of which have, at some point or another, involved simultaneous acute liver damage.

In all seriousness, I think many of us feel it is in our best interests to maintain a certain measure of anonymity until we feel we really get to know someone. At least, as much as we could trust someone from the internet. And that sometimes doesn't work so well. Sometimes Chris Hansen shows up and... uhmmm.

Welcome to the forum! Ask away.

Regarding anonymity, the OP provides good answers to there own question. Yes, I think most could apply that reasoning to keep what shop their with on the down low, though some regular posters here make it easier to identify where they're at.

It's a small industry and anonymity is important. Some of us are at majors and some of us not, but many of us are aiming for the same thing.

The job isn't necessarily high paced, but you need to be able to switch into that gear without hesitation. You cannot panic or freeze.

Shoot over a PM if you want.

Thanks for the replies guys (and gals).

Nope, no ERAU for me... (is this the point where I'm supposed to be vague?) :cool: Just a local State U.... We have a few 121 Domestics (regionals), a few more 121 Supps, and a handful of 135s in town. Hopefully one of them will take me in. I'm probably not looking to get onto the "stepping stone" race, since we don't have any major's in the neighborhood. I'd like to find a company that's a good fit, and hang up my hat and stay a while. My wife is done chasing me around the world from my military days, and is settled into a good career herself finally, so we're probably not picking up and moving any time soon. It's my turn to let her take the lead. I just need a little sump'n sump'n to supplement my retirement income.

Do not be surprised if you cannot get a job at one of your local airlines and you have to move.

That's the grim reality of this career. People that get deadset on one major have about a 10% chance to actually get on at that one and toil away at a regional.

Its a little different if you are looking at regionals though I guess. Odds are much higher, but a regional dispatcher is a terrible job in my opinion. Get paid nothing and work every weekend for a couple years probably starting around 3am or so.

Not to discourage you, but that is the truth.

Thanks for all of the feedback, both here and privately. I passed my practical the other day and signed the little temporary license paper! Now to concentrate on a few term papers and wrap up my final two weeks of the semester before graduating with my Aviation Management degree and start job seeking.

Back