Need help with training contract

It's not the bucks. The more closely accurate cynicism is, it's the low-hanging fruit.

It's easy to prove a pilot deviation; much harder to prove the operator told them to. Not impossible, but more difficult. If there was a lot of similar deviations from a particular operator, it would be worth the allocation of resources.
A similar dynamic exists at the IRS with regard to audit rates. You can see the audit rates of sole proprietorships are off the charts, while large complex, and well-vetted (read well-defended) organizations get a very low rate of scrutiny. Its just easier for IRS agents to go after the little guys, feel satisfied that their jobs are done and get their quotas.

I'm considering a training contract right now, quite similar in nature to the OP's. My experience isn't the problem as his is, but my lack of recency has left me with some diminished offers. A respected company is asking me to sign a very one-sided contract but they admit that it is negotiable so at least there's that. I've turned my back on paper like this before, and for much more lucrative work, but am considering working with them on it due to their reputation and my circumstances.

Seems to me that work should really be an "at will" endeavor.

Dear all,

Update, I have backed out of that contract.

Overall it was not the contract alone that caused me to do that. Have observed some of their practices that are against my values and definitely crossed my line in the sand. I don't think I would survive a year so I did them and myself a favor. I want work to be an "at will" endeavor and generally don't want to make commitment unless I have reasons to believe that I will be a good fit with the organization.

Now looking into Freight and Alaska.

Heard through the grapevine they found someone to take the spot. I am so puzzled why pilots would put themselves in this type of situation. Apart from training contract there are a lot of pilot pushing going on. You will break some regs starting the first day you are on line if you do what they ask you to do and will be breaking them repeatedly from there on out. Maybe it looks like a good deal so much that a lot of people don't ask questions till they get in too deep.

Somebody said this on another thread and I would repeat it : if a company would hire you below the amount of hour competitive in the industry, be wary. There are reasons for that...such as they could push you to do things that pilots with more experience and more options are not willing to do. Not always true, just watch out.

I chose to look for a new job, and I found one. Does not pay as much initially, more hassle but at least not illegal and completely at will. Happy with that. We all make our choices and deal with the consequences, good or bad. Not an easy choice to make either way, I am glad it is over with.

Last edited:
Back