Muslim Pilot: Bad Guy or Discrimination?

tonyw said:
Dude, that's the same as saying black people who don't like being stereotyped as gangbangers have only themselves to blame, or Latinos who don't like being stereotyped as illegals have only themselves to blame.

A few bungholes -- and they exist in every group -- shouldn't make anyone say members of that race are all like those bungholes.

:yeahthat:

Spot on.

Doug Taylor said:
I'm still calling a foul on the 280 hour former military pilot.

Dang that MikeD, always out investigation B1 crashes or blowing up stuff in the middle east when we need him.... ;) :sarcasm:
Standard for you. Your SOP is "don't believe Tenney at any cost!"

Mr_Creepy said:
Standard for you. Your SOP is "don't believe Tenney at any cost!"

John- theres a reason for this. As recently stated in another thread, your character is judged directly by your comments and actions in this industry. And based on your comments I've witnessed the past few years, I can see why so many have a hard time relating to what you say.

Look at it this way, no one on this forum knew who you were before you came here. Thus, none of us had a biased judgement about you pre JC. All of our opinions have been formed by what you have presented to us since you've been here.

mrivc211 said:
John- theres a reason for this. As recently stated in another thread, your character is judged directly by your comments and actions in this industry. And based on your comments I've witnessed the past few years, I can see why so many have a hard time relating to what you say.

Look at it this way, no one on this forum knew who you were before you came here. Thus, none of us had a biased judgement about you pre JC. All of our opinions have been formed by what you have presented to us since you've been here.

Not saying this to be an ass, but, that is your problem, not his (I use your as a broad term, not you specifically) Making judgements on someone, whom you haven't met in person, based off of posts on a message board is childish at best.

Seeing that you recently have joined, I don't think your in a position to make that comment. Had you been here for the past few years to observe his comments, you would be in a better position to make a comment like that.

ALthough, I do agree partly with your comment, in that, people are totally different in person, than on this forum.

ALso, I did read a snippit somewhere on this forum that he was a great guy in person, which I never said he wasn't. I simply implied why people disagreed with him so much, due to him saying everything he says on this board is disagreed with

mrivc211 said:
Seeing that you recently have joined, I don't think your in a position to make that comment. Had you been here for the past few years to observe his comments, you would be in a better position to make a comment like that.

ALthough, I do agree partly with your comment, in that, people are totally different in person, than on this forum.

ALso, I did read a snippit somewhere on this forum that he was a great guy in person, which I never said he wasn't. I simply implied why people disagreed with him so much, due to him saying everything he says on this board is disagreed with

I can agree with that. I don't mean to speak out of turn, but I think it can be applied to everyone, not just Mr. C, as well as in everyday life. Easier said than done, however, myself included.

mrivc211 said:

There are many people on here who knew me before JC. You don't see them contradicting me either.

Likewise you do not see me fight with the people I've met in person either.

mrivc211 said:

Omar, a lot of it has to do with over 6,000 posts and I am not a supporter of the "aviation dream" that has lured people in to wasting time, money, families, etc.

There is a "Detox" period that people need after they leave aviation. They need to adjust back to reality in many ways.

People that I have met, that have met you, say you are an ok guy and we would get along great in person. I hope to share a few with you at network JC!

But back to this issue - 3 of the instructors I stay in touch with have told me that they did everything they could to let Nickman interview his way in, but frankly, he was not cut out to be a pilot. It happens. Not everyone has been "called" to do it, if you wish.

By the way, one of the instructors has already been mentioned by name in this thread :D

Chris_Ford said:
I'd venture to say the US is one of the less racist/discriminatory/prejudiced country in the US. See the soccer thread about some of the things that go on in Europe.

On the contrary, my friend. Ask the 25-40 million or so African-Americans living in this country that have been disenfranchised by economic, judicial and social landmines placed in their paths.

atp

I was in the AF during the "Clinton years", and there was no wholesale "early out", or any other reason for 250 hr mil pilots to be out looking for civ flying jobs. Any body who was, either lost his medical or was kicked out.

You are forgetting the rather large contingent who opted to leave. They saw the "hand writing on the wall" so to speak and realized that the military career was not going to take them flying as often as they liked.

It used to be rare to see ex-military in a commuter job, as they were usually hired directly to a major such as Delta or Southwest.

But in '98 and '99 we started to see some trickling in. Of these there were a couple I flew with who were at the 250 hr level or close to that - say 250 to 400 hrs.

It's true they may have washed out and changed their story. I had no way of checking nor did I care. I met a lot of pilots with "skeletons." On the other hand, I had no reason to disbelieve them and the stories didn't sound like "stories."

I do not to intend to belittle US military training. The training is fabulous for what it is intended to do, but I feel that the military mission and the airline pilot mission are not all that similar.

For example, everyone I flew with were "good sticks" but many lacked experience with how to handle routine problems that come up for a commuter pilot, such as crew difficulties, fatigue, maintenance items that vaguely fall in to an MEL, shifting weather patterns, negotiating with dispatch, negotiating with ATC, etc.

That kind of judgment can only come from being out there for a period of time. It is not the kind of thing that can be taught in a classroom, which is why I agree with Don (DE727UPS) that 250 hr pilots normally do not belong in a 121 cockpit, and I will add that the 250 hrs can be from anywhere, not just an ab initio program.

atpwannabe said:
On the contrary, my friend. Ask the 25-40 million or so African-Americans living in this country.

atp

I'm not dismissing racism in North America. I'm saying that it's not as explicit as it is in other parts of the world.

Again, look at how the Tunisians in Italy were treated, the Muslims in France, the Arabs in Spain, the Caste system in India, Aboriginies in Australia.

It makes the US look like child's play.

Chris_Ford said:
I'd venture to say the US is one of the less racist/discriminatory/prejudiced country in the US. See the soccer thread about some of the things that go on in Europe.

Exaclty!!! I have been to a lot of ####tier places. Imagine being discriminated against for the class of family you are from, such as Saudi, and albeit alot of other Middle East countries

I have seen a lot of 1200 hour Civ pilots who were unable to cut it as a military pilot. None of this," you will get it next time BS". You either get it next time, or get the hell out. They are paying you, not vice versa

Dugie8 said:
A few people here would like to continue to perpetuate the myth of mil training is far superior and that only 6000 hour + pilots can fly large airplanes or make good captains, but with my measely 3000 hours and no mil experience, I manage to survive every other week, and Captains are glad when I show up as their FO, and I will bet dollars to donughts that the same can be said for all my sleazeball non milatary friends.

You have got to be ####ting me. Im sure you perform great, after all you should by the time you get to mins. To rate civ training next to military is ludicrous. You have 2 students out by themselves flying a TONE(Beech 400A) around the country at 175 hours.Flying solo in a turboprop(Texan2), or twin engine(T-37) at 15 hours Show me a CIV program that does that.

Chris_Ford said:
I'm not dismissing racism in North America. I'm saying that it's not as explicit as it is in other parts of the world.

Again, look at how the Tunisians in Italy were treated, the Muslims in France, the Arabs in Spain, the Caste system in India, Aboriginies in Australia.

It makes the US look like child's play.

You may have a point.

However, take note to the fact that all of the countries you listed, besides India, are of caucasoid ancestry.

Not to start an argument or a debate about racism, but what do you think that says?

atp

There is no doubt that racism is still a problem in America.

I have seen horrible injustice in the courts, a black man sentenced to 8 life sentences for one suspected rape.

Of course the girl was white, and the jury was all white.

We've come a long way, but there is a long, long way to go.

"Muslim" racism, while understandable after 9-11, is still completely unacceptable. It is not an entire race or religion that is responsible for the terrorist attacks.

There is also still a lot of reverse racism, so all sides need to get together and work on this.

I'm getting all verklempt, I'm gonna start singing "Coom By Ya" pretty soon here! Talk amongst yourselves :D

atpwannabe said:
However, take note to the fact that all of the countries you listed, besides India, are of caucasoid ancestry.

Oh, there are plenty of examples of racism among people with other skin colors. Sometimes, the racism goes even among people with the same skin color.

Just ask some old time Japanese and Koreans how they feel about each others country. Japan actually was not allowed into Korea to play a World Cup qualifier at one point!

tonyw said:
Oh, there are plenty of examples of racism among people with other skin colors. Sometimes, the racism goes even among people with the same skin color.

Just ask some old time Japanese and Koreans how they feel about each others country. Japan actually was not allowed into Korea to play a World Cup qualifier at one point!

Thank you Tony. There are plenty of examples but they're generally lesser known.

But if you want to think that white people are oppressors all the time, you can :)

Chris_Ford said:
Thank you Tony. There are plenty of examples but they're generally lesser known.

But if you want to think that white people are oppressors all the time, you can :)

No. Not what I was implying.

Yes. There is racism in every group of people. I'm just commenting on the one that I am most familiar with. That's all.

atp

Back