multi time?

Guess what, the multi time ATPs gets you doesn't mean crap. You need wet ink multi certs at most jobs out there, then once you get on board, after the first 3 months flying freight as a captain, or driving pax between BOS and EWR or whatever, you're going to have more multi time doing thatthan anything else.

Single engine time is incredibly valuable for another reason, single engine time is stick and rudder time. When you spend a couple hundred hours as your starting out conciously having to add "right rudder" because the airplane doesn't have rudder trim, or spend scads of time looking for places to land, and or simulating power off landings, you gain valuable insight from doing this, and learn a little more about the airplane. Twins can and will be flown at work, you'll learn way more from flying them at your first job than you ever could with 200hrs of multi, especially if its split with a safety pilot, and even more so if a lot of it is at cruise.

this post makes absolutely no sense at all. no i am realy confused. regionals now ask for in the hundreds of hours of multi, if they are even hiring. now lets say you want to work at a corp. aviation dept., youd better have atleast 500 multi(prefer. much, much more-possibly turb. multi). mabey a part 135 C421 driver, hows 500 multi sound, AND 2000 TT (ATP PREFERED) the fact if the matter is, is that most places wont hire you with wet certs (i.e.30-40 hrs) because they cant insure you. why do you think that flight schools want you to either have 250 multi, or 25 hours with thier instructor before you can go solo in their aircraft. ATP multi time is worthless, not quite. still not entirely enough multi to be insurable, mabey. here is just one job listing flying a FIXED GEAR/NON- HIGH PERF. TWIN(partenavia P.68, an easy to fly twin, think mini twin otter) notice, 250hrs multi prefered. http://www.aspenhelo.com/job.htm I have 1000+hrs pic and a connection at the company, but don't yet meat the 250 multi. I know the chief heli pilot, and I cant get a job there, because the insurance won't touch me yet. they dont care that i have high-perf multi pic time, they want the total numbers. i still dont understand you post ppragman. point out some of these companies to me of which you speak. i'd love to send them a resume.

i never said SE time was a waste. but how many regionals/corps./majors/air ambullance/charter companies fly single engine stuff. as well, the stick and rudder you get from a 150/172/pa-28, is not realy stick and rudder. stick and rudder comes from real airplanes, that have a tendancy to swap ends when you don't have stick and rudder skill. say like a citabria or decathlon. i have given about 35 tailwheel endorsments, and thats when you learn stick and rudder. but, flying in alaska, where REAL bush pilots come from, im sure you already knew that. you do a job that is one in a million, and takes a special pilot to even be able to put up with the elements, let alone fly in them.

:yeahthat:

And just an FYI my CMEL and then my MEI when I get it will cost me a combined cost of about 5k not 15k

wait a minute, you dont even have a CMEL, or an MEI? and you speak like you know all there is to know about multi time? this explains alot of your reasoning. so now your only 10k behind me. looks like that just made my deal even sweater. 100 hours more for only 10k is preaty sweat. thats only 100 an hour for a seminole. SWEAT DEAL!!:D

this post makes absolutely no sense at all. no i am realy confused. regionals now ask for in the hundreds of hours of multi, if they are even hiring. now lets say you want to work at a corp. aviation dept., youd better have atleast 500 multi(prefer. much, much more-possibly turb. multi). mabey a part 135 C421 driver, hows 500 multi sound, AND 2000 TT (ATP PREFERED) the fact if the matter is, is that most places wont hire you with wet certs (i.e.30-40 hrs) because they cant insure you. why do you think that flight schools want you to either have 250 multi, or 25 hours with thier instructor before you can go solo in their aircraft. ATP multi time is worthless, not quite. still not entirely enough multi to be insurable, mabey. here is just one job listing flying a FIXED GEAR/NON- HIGH PERF. TWIN(partenavia P.68, an easy to fly twin, think mini twin otter) notice, 250hrs multi prefered. http://www.aspenhelo.com/job.htm I have 1000+hrs pic and a connection at the company, but don't yet meat the 250 multi. I know the chief heli pilot, and I cant get a job there, because the insurance won't touch me yet. they dont care that i have high-perf multi pic time, they want the total numbers. i still dont understand you post ppragman. point out some of these companies to me of which you speak. i'd love to send them a resume.

i never said SE time was a waste. but how many regionals/corps./majors/air ambullance/charter companies fly single engine stuff. as well, the stick and rudder you get from a 150/172/pa-28, is not realy stick and rudder. stick and rudder comes from real airplanes, that have a tendancy to swap ends when you don't have stick and rudder skill. say like a citabria or decathlon. i have given about 35 tailwheel endorsments, and thats when you learn stick and rudder. but, flying in alaska, where REAL bush pilots come from, im sure you already knew that. you do a job that is one in a million, and takes a special pilot to even be able to put up with the elements, let alone fly in them.

Can't agree with the beginning, look, places were/are hiring with 10hrs of multi or so. Or you can have a MEI and build multi time at about 20hrs per month at least at a lot of places, plus, if you have wet ink you can still go to AmFlight or other 135 ops and get in the door. You don't need scads of multi to do these things. Its a gimmick. I got a job in the right seat of the 1900 at 8.8hrs of multi. 6 months later I had over 600hrs of multi, and am now insurable at a lot of places, so I can go where I want to an extent.

Honestly, your best bet is to MEI to build some multi time then go on to something else.

wait a minute, you dont even have a CMEL, or an MEI? and you speak like you know all there is to know about multi time? this explains alot of your reasoning. so now your only 10k behind me. looks like that just made my deal even sweater. 100 hours more for only 10k is preaty sweat. thats only 100 an hour for a seminole. SWEAT DEAL!!:D

Okie dokie I have a CMEL just not the MEI. The MEI is the exact same course as the CMEL w/ the same instructor from the right seat. You don't understand...after your MEI and 5 in type you shouldn't be paying anything for multi time. Most insurance companies will insure at 500 TT and 5-10 in type.

I agree that most places do require quite a bit of multi time to be hired. But there are ones that actually like less. Ramair Frieght specfically states they are looking for low time multi guys mainly because they dont want high time guys coming in and leaving real fast. They know most other companies do require in the 500 range so they like low time guys to come in be forced to stay at least a year to build enough hours to get a job somewhere else. Also a guy who flies a corporate Cessna 421 went for a interview at Commutair in spring and was told that because of his high multi TT he wasnt a attractive canidate. Was told they like low time guys because they are easier to break bad habits. But I think these two examples are the exception not the norm. With the economy how it is I see competitive times going way up at most 121 places and some 135. Even when the economy breaks out the slump and heads back up I dont expect to see the low multi requirments to come back at any 121. So I say get as much multi-time as you can no matter how you do it.

You don't understand...after your MEI and 5 in type you shouldn't be paying anything for multi time. Most insurance companies will insure at 500 TT and 5-10 in type.
May want to double check those numbers... Last research I did for multi rental or even to become an active MEI at an FBO was more like @ 500TT, 50ME, and 5 in type.

Bob

May want to double check those numbers... Last research I did for multi rental or even to become an active MEI at an FBO was more like @ 500TT, 50ME, and 5 in type.

Bob

Even if that was true...which I think it maybe high for most airplanes (which twin?) I still would only need 25 more Multi @ about 100 per/hr safety pilot which lets say for tax and everything else is 3K. I am still 7k cheaper. While others overpayed 7k. That is a couple college courses...a year of rent...etc.

If you want to drop an extra 7k go for it...if you are budgeting and trying to do it as cheap as possible then reconsider.

I forget who posted it before but this argument is like comparing apples and oranges. Both ways serve a purpose. ATP you will get done faster and you may pay more for it. But for those changing careers and dont have the time to take their good ole time gettings their ratings than this is probally the best route for them. It allows them to become qualfied to get a CFI job and start building hours faster and making some money then the FBO route. Ever heard the saying time is money. Now for those who are young say 17 or 18 and have 4 years of college coming up doing the FBO route might make sense for them because they got 4 years to burn anyways. Take the first year and half or two to get through your CFII and MEI and instruct your last 2 or 3 for some people haha. So it really comes down to what works best for you and has you ready for the job market when you need to be. No one is going to win the argument which is better. The best answer is whatever suites you best. Just my two cents after all this.

Okie dokie I have a CMEL just not the MEI. The MEI is the exact same course as the CMEL w/ the same instructor from the right seat. You don't understand...after your MEI and 5 in type you shouldn't be paying anything for multi time. Most insurance companies will insure at 500 TT and 5-10 in type.

Thats a big no go at my flight school. To rent our Apache you have to have 50hrs in multi and at least 10hrs in type to rent.

JHugz have you considered going back to being a flight attendant? Saw theres openings for that. Could put some money in your pocket till you can find a job in the cockpit.

JHugz have you considered going back to being a flight attendant? Saw theres openings for that. Could put some money in your pocket till you can find a job in the cockpit.

I was about half way up the seniority ladder at Commut when I resigned and I gave that all about. I would have to take an EWR base to go back and I don't want to do that for a FA job.

Doesn't seem like it would be all that bad though to at least hold you over till like may/june when alot of flight schools will get busy again and you can find a job somewhere. Couldnt you just comute for your routes so you could still live around here?

No way man. Lowest I've seen is 25 hrs (maybe 50 don't remember), and 5 in type.

Bob

Don't confuse renting a twin with Instructing in a twin.
I don't understand it but here it goes.
For me to take the seminole (solo) to my checkride (15 minute flight), we had to get a special privilege, from our insurance. Now after I passed, I could give instruction all day long.
Things don't add up, but that is the way it is .

Merry Christmas
Douglas:bandit:

GlenA- can I get a response or is that as far as you would like to take it?

I'm done. No use getting frustrated over forum threads while there are bigger things to get frustrated over :) Like, having a job but not having work thanks to things suddenly starting to dry up even in the international student market....yay recession!!:banghead:

Back