multi time?

Does multi-time matter anymore?? As hiring minimums go up so are the minimums for the multi-time. A lot of places where hiring at 500/50. Now, at least Mesaba, they are asking for 600/100. With more and more 121 guys on the street even 100 isn't going to be competitive.

:rotfl:you beat me to the punch. as more people realize(hopefully) that the regionals just plain old stink(pay and QOL are lousy), multi time will be your best selling point. the guy who walks into johnny corporate's with 1500TT and 900 multi, will get the job before the guys who has 3000TT and 100 multi(i speak the words of a chief pilot at a well know Van Nuys corp. aviation dept.). he will be eaiser to insure. everybody is looking to do it as cheaply as possible, and that even boils down to the insurance. somebody didn't read the whole post:bandit:

I should have rephrased. 135 ME isn't going to get you a job anymore. Either will 200, 150, 100 etc. Why not take your time, save on the debt, and have fun instead of getting on the "fast track" to job's that don't exist right now?

I should have rephrased. 135 ME isn't going to get you a job anymore. Either will 200, 150, 100 etc. Why not take your time, save on the debt, and have fun instead of getting on the "fast track" to job's that don't exist right now?

Because, the jobs will exist later, be it a few months or a few years. Best to set yourself up to be hired on the front side of a "hiring boom" than waiting around your FBO for an aircraft that is in maintinence every other day and eventually get in on the backside of the hiring boom and get furloughed. The point is to build time as quickly as possible to set yourself up to get hired. That probably means you'll need lots of multi to get anything. My $.02

There is not going to be any hiring boom in the forseeable future. If anything more airlines, especially regionals, will consolidate and contract.

There is not going to be any hiring boom in the forseeable future. If anything more airlines, especially regionals, will consolidate and contract.

Slight little misspelling there:

"If anything more airlines, especially regionals will conspire and collapse."

Yeah, sounds way better.
Buying any amount of multi time right now seems like something the leaders at Wall street would do. Not upright walking individuals. :cwm27:

if you are in this industry waiting for a hiring boom, you are in the wrong industry, even if there was a hiring boom. there are still plenty of jobs out there to be had, you just have to know where to look. the one and only reason i still instruct, is to meet the requirments of many of those companies. still plenty of 135 operations that are aactively seeking pilots. still lots of people retiring. still a lot less pilots leaving the military filling up the empty seats at airlines(if thats where you want to go). there dosent need to be a hiring boom to find a job. if you are in it for that, you are in the wrong industry. whats going to happen to you when it hits a down swing like it's in right now and you et furghloughed.

this time in the industry will help to weed out those who want to do it for the money rather than the love of the work that they do. because lets be honest, the $300k a year jobs working 14 days a month have probably gone the way of the Dodo bird.

Right now the only multi time people should be paying for is enough for there MEI. So usually that take about 25-30 multi total. Then let someone else pay for the rest. To have 135 or whatever they do now you still are going to have to MEI for at least 100 more hours in today's hiring environment. So really you wasted about 100 hours of multi for no reason. 100*150 whateva there safety pilot rate is. 15,000 Dollars or so.

Right now the only multi time people should be paying for is enough for there MEI. So usually that take about 25-30 multi total. Then let someone else pay for the rest. To have 135 or whatever they do now you still are going to have to MEI for at least 100 more hours in today's hiring environment. So really you wasted about 100 hours of multi for no reason. 100*150 whateva there safety pilot rate is. 15,000 Dollars or so.

there is only one problem with this. multi time is hard to come buy when someone else is paying for it. i actively search out multi-eng students, and have a hard time finding them, let alone a place that has a multi eng. airplane. unless you want to work for a place that treats you as a number (pan-am, ifta, etc.). then multi-time is preaty easy to come by. but i'd rather find an FBO that treats me like a person. i went to my 1st x-mas party in 10 years this year. you wont get that at a big name school (or the personal touch of your boss/chief pilot/other employees remembering your name). and with 1 in 6 holding a PAMEL/PAMES cert., and 1 in 7 holding a CAMEL/CAMES, looks like the stats show it's still hard to come by.

Like mshunter said, the multi-students will be hard to come by. even having an MEI with 30 total multi hours is not very much. 140 multi hours and I still feel like I am learning something new about the plane when I step in it. and yes I have my MEI. The advantage for having the higher multi hours and having an MEI completed is that it can give you a leg up when getting an instructors job because now you come as an applicant that is more versatile to the school and one they won't have to train to get an MEI cert done. The extra hours show a bit more experience with multi-engine aircraft so I am not sure how this is a bad thing. Especially if you are applying for a CFI job in a scarce market where you might not have any dual given, why not give yourself an opportunity to stand out from the rest?

Especially if you are applying for a CFI job in a scarce market where you might not have any dual given, why not give yourself an opportunity to stand out from the rest?

That is not worth 10k-15k for me. May be different for you. I would rather suck it up at a flight school for a year or two and get that magical multi time rather then pay for it @ ATP.

That is not worth 10k-15k for me. May be different for you. I would rather suck it up at a flight school for a year or two and get that magical multi time rather then pay for it @ ATP.

Yes, but you are assuming that flight schools on a whole are still hiring like crazy. All other things being equal at an interview, would you hire the guy with only his CFI-I, a guy who has his MEI (with only 30 hours), or the guy with all three certs and well over the minimum mark in multi-engine time to boot? Even for CFI's things are beginning to become THAT competitive.

All other things being equal at an interview, would you hire the guy with only his CFI-I, a guy who has his MEI (with only 30 hours), or the guy with all three certs and well over the minimum mark in multi-engine time to boot?

I would hire someone who didn't go to a pilot mill over someone who did.

You're soliciting the opinion of someone with no experience in the matter. Does it really matter if he types out why he thinks the path he chose is the best one?

I sat through ground school at xjet with about 1/2 pilot mill people and 1/2 FBO folks. The airlines don't care at all. Everyone made it through just fine (and then everyone got furloughed).

And FYI...I did my training at a university 141 program.

I'm wondering the same thing. If someone passes their checkride and earns their certificate, what's the difference? They've shown they need to know what's required and can execute the manuevers safely haven't they?

So, they didn't sit around the airport everyday talking to other students and flying only 2-3 times a week for a year and a half?

Pilots are individuals, everyone is different. You can't say that someone who does a 90 day program doesn't know as much as someone who took 3 years to get their certificates. I don't remember everyone coming out of the 11th grade being just as smart and knowledgeable as each other. Stop generalizing for once.

Back