MTSU students, ESCAPE NOW!

Avpilot

I attended MTSU starting in 2000 and even instructed there for a year and a half. Long story short, I finally saw the light and broke free. I'm now a MEI-I for ATP, Airline Transport Professionals in beautiful Jacksonville, FL. At MTSU, I would have worked there for another year or so to get a hundred hours multi-engine. Here, I am up to my neck in multi time, flying 80-120 hours a month in new seminoles. The moral to the story is that there is hope out there! MTSU has all the ingredients of an excellent program, the new fleet, the nice facilities, the 4 yr degree program, etc. The thing they lack is a sense of direction and flexibility. If I had it to do all over again, I would have gotten a "cheap" degree at some smaller university and then I would have gone to ATP for their career pilot program. I completed MTSU's whole program, but their attrition rate is deplorable. ATP's is better than 95% completion...and that's getting everything that MTSU offers in 4 years in a 90-day program. I have 600 hours total time, and upon reaching 1000 hours or so in about 4 months, I will have approx. 500 multi. That looks good on a resume. I know an ATP instructor who was hired by Chataqua with 1000 total time while his friend who interviewed with 1800 (200 multi) wasn't picked up. Get out, MTSU students. Get out while you can. If it's too late and you're committed, you'll have to wait for multi-time or bite the bullet and buy some. Ari Ben Flight school in Ft. Pierce, FL has the best deal going...100 hours in a duchess for $5995. If anybody has any questions about ATP, let me know on this or the ATP board.

You have a very narrow vision it seems. You say that one friend was hired with 1000 and one with 1800 didnt. You must know that once you are in an interview you are on an even playing field. Who kows the guy with 1800 could have had a nasty logbook, attitude, or any number of things. Its not as cut and dry as that.

MTSU offers a pretty decent program for a darn good price. You can get your degree and fly at the same time. You have to work hard and find ways to get valubable time.

You mention attrition rate at MTSU. There are reasons for that. At ATP people are putting up a big sacrifice of money to go there, and get things much quicker. At MTSU an average joe student could sign up for a flightlab like anyone else, just on a whim to see if they like it. #2 At MTSU all the students are, well college students! Not the most dependable people.

I like ATPs program and I like lots of their people, I just dont like people who gave up at MTSU to start bad mouthing it.

PS. I got out of MTSU, one month after I graduated I had an interview at Chautauqua (correct spelling). Ill be down in Florida alot in May, maybe ill see ya in the seminole. Ill be in the ERJ.
wink.gif
bandit.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Does ATP pay their instructors extra to hype them up on these boards or something??

[/ QUOTE ]

Advertising bonus....
grin.gif

Seriously though...I've never seen a negative post about ATP. Maybe I'm just cynical, but isn't the general rule that if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

BTW, I'm actually interested in going to ATP, so I'm not knocking it...just trying to figure out what's real and what is marketing.

Registers, makes a statement, disappears.... Hmm....

Are you going to log on again so I know you're not trolling my forums?

Hey guys...sorry for the delay, I flew to DFW and back since I last posted. My point is simple....I have been intimately involved with MTSU and with ATP and I notice a distinct difference in quality and quantity of training. Plain and simple, eh? All I have to offer is my opinion based on HAVING BEEN INVOLVED WITH BOTH PROGRAMS...not just having gone to one or none. Notice, I didn't compare MTSU with ERAU. I have no basis to make that comparison other than on hearsay, which isn't ever accurate.

My response was a "success" story that ive experienced at MTSU. You didnt make it at MTSU but many have. ATP has a good program and makes mostly good pilots too. The programs are different though for many reasons. MTSU is a Univ flight school and because of this you cant go at the 90 day pace as some of the others. You get what you put into it!

You say that ATP has everything MTSU does with 90 days vs. 4 years. THat statement is innacurrate as ATP doesnt offer a degree in 90 days and MTSUs program doesnt take 4 years to complete the flight portion. Most Who come in and WORK HARD, are instructor by their Jr and Sr year. How did you work at MTSU for 1.5 years and still after moving to your new 100 hour a month job, only have 600TT..Maybe this is a reason you left mtsu? I dont know.

I welcome the oppurtunity to continue this discussion on this forum to give users some more views. Enjoy the PA44.

Good and fair questions. First, I did complete the MTSU program. I came in with Pvt and about 170 hours or so. I left with Commercial, Multi, Instrument, CFI and a degree. I didn't drop out, as you imply, I finished. My total time was only 600 because of the fact that I worked 3 jobs, 14 hours a day and went to school full time. No exaggeration. That means that I was only a part time instructor, I couldn't do any more than that. So, my post was honestly an opinion from a guy who has completed MTSU's program and is working for ATP now. Good questions....perhaps I was a little brash in my original post, but it is still my honest opinion. Any more questions/perspectives will be appreciated.

Ive got to know who you are since our times overlapped at MTSU, so ill go easy...
bandit.gif

My only point is, it works for some and not for others. You were here, like me, during a rough time, post 9-11 with little movement even in the CFI ranks, so the golden multi was hard to come by. You seeing any former mtsuer on the ramp there at CRG flying that weird italian bird?

Yeah, I am not interested in burning any bridges, so I'm not going to give my name, but you may be able to figure it out from this if you know me. I was there until June of '03 at which point I left to attend a wedding (mine) and also had to take about 9 months off of aviation to work out a medical problem with my eye. So, I have just recently gotten back into aviation by taking the MEI/MEII program at BWG and then, luckily being hired to fly the 44's. When I was in Murfreesboro, I was working my arse off but still passed every stage check, checkride, and knowledge test. That's not bragging, that is just to say that I did succeed in the program. I was halfway up the seniority list when I had the medical problem occur. I just notice a distinct difference in quality of training between MTSU and ATP. that's all.

Avpilot, after some things ive heard recently, you may be right im afraid...things are sounding like they are going in the right direction lately.
mad.gif

ATP sounds good. I am not sure if you are against ATP and/or MTSU, but you did it if you liked it or didn't. No one put a gun to your head.

[I know an ATP instructor who was hired by Chataqua with 1000 total time while his friend who interviewed with 1800 (200 multi) wasn't picked up]

Not to raise the big school comparison argument, but before the industry fell it was not uncommon for Purdue grads to get hired on at Chautauqua with 500 hours TT. Granted that isn't happening so much anymore, but someone else said it right in an earlier post: it's not just about the time. A friend of mine had the best philosophy to use when looking for a job in the aviation business "Airlines don't hire the best pilots, they interview the best pilots and pick the ones they like"

Just an update...since working at ATP last year, I interviewed and was hired at ExpressJet last September. I've been here for a little over a year now and am loving it. I wish all of you guys luck in your careers and I hope that you find the fastest and best way to the job you want.

2 points to consider- ATP is a full time endeavor, at MTSU its a college experience with flying on the side. Also, things have changed now with the new chief in place. There is a major buckledown on getting the ratings done on time, or you are going to get knocked out of the program. The 3 year commercial partiers won't be around too much longer.

Back