Moxy and 60 A220s

How are United, American and Delta's salaries going to be bigger when without the regional route structure they'd have even more trouble handling their more efficient counter parts like Southwest who has crushed them with their point to point model?

So, you’re saying, the only way to beat SWA, flying 737s which can carry160-180 passengers, is with RJs at 50 seats? RJs still flying a hub and spoke route? All that aside, SWA isn’t anymore “efficient” than the big legacies. As for “crushing” SWA got their ass handed to them in ATL when they found out the hard way that AirTran had a lower cost structure than them and Delta competed comfortably. Average ticket prices actually rose after the rap, err, “merger.”

Face it, if the regionals didn’t exist, the mainline would have to fly a lot of the flights now. Sure, some of the smaller markets would lose service, but the mainline pilot ranks would be bigger without management threatening to outsource jobs or take s pay cut.

Unfortunately, guys 20-30 years ago were short sighted and greedy and we got the system we got. Hopefully this time, Pilot groups know better and will continue the downward pressure on scope.

So, you’re saying, the only way to beat SWA, flying 737s which can carry160-180 passengers, is with RJs at 50 seats? RJs still flying a hub and spoke route? All that aside, SWA isn’t anymore “efficient” than the big legacies. As for “crushing” SWA got their ass handed to them in ATL when they found out the hard way that AirTran had a lower cost structure than them and Delta competed comfortably. Average ticket prices actually rose after the rap, err, “merger.”

In spite of that crushing they took they continue to post respectable passenger growth year after year where United has been flat, American not much better and Delta has actually been the exception to the big three with their growth. Meanwhile most other airlines have been growing at a much faster rate. If there business model was as efficient as their competition you'd think the big three would be killing it with their massive economies of scale from mergers, but that just isn't happening.

List of largest airlines in North America - Wikipedia

In spite of that crushing they took they continue to post respectable passenger growth year after year where United has been flat, American not much better and Delta has actually been the exception to the big three with their growth. Meanwhile most other airlines have been growing at a much faster rate. If there business model was as efficient as their competition you'd think the big three would be killing it with their massive economies of scale from mergers, but that just isn't happening.

List of largest airlines in North America - Wikipedia

Not sure what you were getting at with the link to wiki. SWA wasn’t in the top theee of any of those categories. They are a good airline, but on a financial basis, not any better or worse than the others. They are actually more like them now than not.

As a matter of fact, if SWA is so great without the need for regional feed, can you imagine how much better the mainlines would be without theirs? As for the disparity between Delta and United and American, that is more a testament to executive management.

I only wish regional flying was like it was in the past in jet streams and not GEG-ORD nearly across the country.

Idk, sit on your butt for 3 hours in cruise on a 2 leg day or 6 out and backs through EWR with a min-rest overnight in SYR ... not sure I'd be pining for the old days if I were still in that rat race.

How are United, American and Delta's salaries going to be bigger when without the regional route structure they'd have even more trouble handling their more efficient counter parts like Southwest who has crushed them with their point to point model?

Wait, did I step into a time warp onto Flightinfo in 2005 where some SWA loser is debating General Lee?

Not sure what you were getting at with the link to wiki. SWA wasn’t in the top theee of any of those categories. They are a good airline, but on a financial basis, not any better or worse than the others. They are actually more like them now than not.

The numbers were of how much they've been able to grow recently and like I said before Delta's the sole one of the big three to really post much growth outside of mergers.

As a matter of fact, if SWA is so great without the need for regional feed, can you imagine how much better the mainlines would be without theirs? As for the disparity between Delta and United and American, twhat is more a testament to executive management.

Then why have they been relying so much on regionals if they'd be better without them? Go take a look at how quick SWA turns around their planes and how much more efficient there routes are. They can get people to their destinations quicker and more of them domestically for cheaper than the mainlines have been able to. It's nothing the big three couldn't do, but they love their mega hubs.

you mean its not totally fun with hilarious flight attendants?

Err’body loves a Belvita!

Seriously, they’re in a knock-down drag-out fight with Spirit, Allegiant and Frontier. If I could believe what I heard in captain “charm school” several years back, they’re not even on our radar scope.

I’m just parroting. I literally have no idea.

Go take a look at how quick SWA turns around their planes and how much more efficient there routes are. They can get people to their destinations quicker and more of them domestically for cheaper than the mainlines have been able to. It's nothing the big three couldn't do, but they love their mega hubs.

You need to put down the koolade and go talk to actual SWA employees. The SWA you seem to think they are hasn’t existed since the AirTran merger.

Dude, you're stuck in the 90s. Southwest is not what you think it is today.

As a customer who flies more than 20 times a year commercially I disagree. I can get direct flights on them cheaper than those with a connection most of the times I buy a fare through them where as the big 3 charge a premium for not having a connection. I also don't have to fly to ORD or Newark and the customer service is top notch. The numbers don't lie either and they've grown at a faster rate than Delta, United or American have in recent years and they did it without having to abuse regional employees.

Sure, kid.

You're the guy who in spite of being an airline pilot your highlight in life is quoting internet arguments from nearly 20 years ago. I'm a customer and don't work for the airlines and Southwest has never let me down and has top notch customer service. You can go be insecure and think that's somehow an insult sent your direction, but as a consumer I welcome new entrants into a consolidated market where the big 3 are happy to sit on their feet.

Kid, first of all, I'm not an airline pilot. Anymore. However, I did used to work for the airline that you're talking about. So I know a few things about it. But hey, I'm sure you know better.

As a customer who flies more than 20 times a year commercially I disagree. I can get direct flights on them cheaper than those with a connection most of the times I buy a fare through them where as the big 3 charge a premium for not having a connection. I also don't have to fly to ORD or Newark and the customer service is top notch. The numbers don't lie either and they've grown at a faster rate than Delta, United or American have in recent years and they did it without having to abuse regional employees.

Seriously, go talk to some employees. Anecdotal customer comments don’t count. I have two cousins who work for them and several friends as well. They know the truth behind the curtain.

Back