Mountain Air Cargo

herm43506

Greetings Everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Been looking for a new freight job and keep seeing Mountain Air Cargo coming up. Is there anyone here that works there now or has worked there in the past that can give me some insight about their time there before I have a phone conversation with them in the next few days? Looking for info on schedule, pay, benefits, difference between "floater" and "base" as listed on their website (and tons of other sites as well).

What about the equipment? I just came off working a true on-demand 135 company and looking to see what it's like there. I do hear that life at a Purple feeder is better than a brown feeder, but I'm looking for more than just hearsay and the like.

So, reply here, PM me, whatever works best for you all.

Thanks and keep the blue side up when flying at low levels.

Without Wax,

herm43506

I work for a ups feeder myself, but work along side a few MTN guys. I know you don't want second rate info so I'll keep it to what I know. Just upped the caravan drivers to 40k a year, I know floaters get every 5th week off, and every single one of those guys I know absolutely love their job. Another interesting thing ive noticed just from occasionally checking the various FDX feeder websites is all of them are starting to drop their mins below 2000tt. Also...no tossing boxes!

all the best!

What is the ATR situation in Memphis? Routes? time per day? Hours logged per day? Upgrade time? Turn over rate?

What kind of schedule do the guys at Mountain work?

It depends if you're a based pilot, or a floater. I am a "floater" which means I don't have a single run that I do, rather I cover other runs throughout the company. As a floater you work generally Mon-Fri (some runs are Saturday). You get every 5th week completely off, and 1 of your 4 "on" weeks is home reserve. So even as a floater the schedule is pretty good.

Based pilots (non-floaters) basically fly the same run every week and generally have the weekends off, unless their run requires a Saturday flight. Based pilots don't get the reserve week or PTO week like us floaters do, but then again they don't really travel like we do either.

PM me if you have any other questions.

It depends if you're a based pilot, or a floater. I am a "floater" which means I don't have a single run that I do, rather I cover other runs throughout the company. As a floater you work generally Mon-Fri (some runs are Saturday). You get every 5th week completely off, and 1 of your 4 "on" weeks is home reserve. So even as a floater the schedule is pretty good.

Based pilots (non-floaters) basically fly the same run every week and generally have the weekends off, unless their run requires a Saturday flight. Based pilots don't get the reserve week or PTO week like us floaters do, but then again they don't really travel like we do either.

PM me if you have any other questions.
do they pay per diem

I worked the Mtn ATR side 2.5 years being both a floater and based. A lot of guys have retired since then, I believe the culture of the company has changed somewhat but in the end don't forget-you're flying feeder. The pay is extremely low ATR side and if your lucky you might upgrade. Or you'll piss someone off and they'll make your life so mserable you'll quit. And if you think it's an in with FedEx, as of 2011 when I left no one had ever been hired directly from the Mtn even with letters, degrees, sponsors and family members in the training dept-EVER. Unless you just like flying at night with crabby old dudes making less and working more than someone else making more money than you I'd say you could do a lot better than the Mtn.

The airplanes are kept in top notch condition as the owner of the aircraft-Fred Smith-throws money at parts. I think I might have flown with one or two MEL's the entire time I worked there.

And did I mention their pay sucks on the ATR?

I worked the Mtn ATR side 2.5 years being both a floater and based. A lot of guys have retired since then, I believe the culture of the company has changed somewhat but in the end don't forget-you're flying feeder. The pay is extremely low ATR side and if your lucky you might upgrade. Or you'll piss someone off and they'll make your life so mserable you'll quit. And if you think it's an in with FedEx, as of 2011 when I left no one had ever been hired directly from the Mtn even with letters, degrees, sponsors and family members in the training dept-EVER. Unless you just like flying at night with crabby old dudes making less and working more than someone else making more money than you I'd say you could do a lot better than the Mtn.

The airplanes are kept in top notch condition as the owner of the aircraft-Fred Smith-throws money at parts. I think I might have flown with one or two MEL's the entire time I worked there.

They recently updated the pay which looks decent but could be better. Were you working with MTN before the changes? Also is there overnight flying or just late evening flying? I guess what I'm trying to say is, do you sleep normal hours or are you a vampire?

They recently updated the pay which looks decent but could be better. Were you working with MTN before the changes? Also is there overnight flying or just late evening flying? I guess what I'm trying to say is, do you sleep normal hours or are you a vampire?

It depends on the run. A lot of runs on the Caravan are daytime, although a handful are late night/overnight runs.

And what side are you interested in? Caravan or ATR?

The ATR side definitely sucks more than the Caravan. A lot of 6 day runs on the ATR, which sucks if you're a floater.

I have actually really enjoyed the Caravan side of things so far.

It depends on the run. A lot of runs on the Caravan are daytime, although a handful are late night/overnight runs.

And what side are you interested in? Caravan or ATR?

Both actually. I actually want to go first to the caravan and then transfer over to the ATR. Is there any way to get a departure arrival times for all MTN Air Cargo flights? (Floaters especially)

Both actually. I actually want to go first to the caravan and then transfer over to the ATR. Is there any way to get a departure arrival times for all MTN Air Cargo flights? (Floaters especially)

Probably not without looking at our company flight schedule. But FlightAware is a good tool as well.

FlightAware is about the only way to get times. Watch Memphis starting around 4 am. Feeders get held until the FedEx birds get gone. But it's been a while since I've been there.

Anyone got any recent info on the MEM FO floater position? As far as what the schedule is like (lots of Saturday's etc) current pay, etc...I'd appreciate it. I have been contacted by them for that position, and also have an interview with PSA. Just trying to weigh my options. I live about 2hrs from MEM, but have family there I can crash with from time to time if need be.

im in the same boat....not sure whether to do a fedex feeder caravan or head to a regional.....thoughts anyone?

Dunno Memphis ops, but FedEx 208's flown by non Union 7 Sister companies. At Newark we arrived around 2300, slept in a room inside the pkg distribution w/ 8-10 pilots on junky recliners til 0500 and flew home. I was scheduled 4 nites a week, but called off by 1700 if any TS in area. The Vans were upgraded with better de-icing after I left.Can't help w ATR info.

Back