more Ameriflight....

I have the part 135 mins, but I haven't flown since 2008. Will this automatically disqualify me from getting invited to a class? I would rather not spend all the money getting a BFR/IPC/Medical if it wouldn't even matter anyway.

I would imagine it would. I highly doubt you'd make it through sims.

I'm not worried about my abilities. I went flying about a year ago with a friend, and it was like riding a bike. I'm afraid I won't ever get the opportunity to fly professionally again. I just don't have the money to rent an airplane to get enough hours for these companies to give me a chance.

Anyways, wouldn't recently passing an IPC/BFR prove my abilities?

I don't think you can fail a BFR, which in essence proves nothing. Good luck
It proves that you went up with an instructor and that instructor has determined that you can still safely fly an airplane.

All I'm saying is that a pilot with X hours who is currently employed should be seen by employers on the same level as another pilot with X hours whose hours could have been years ago, but has recently passed a BFR/IPC. Thats the way I see it. I hope Ameriflight sees it the same way. They don't have any recent hour mins posted, but they do have a section of their online application where you have to list your hours in the past 6 and 12 months. I just feel bad for putting all zeros in those fields.

It proves that you went up with an instructor and that instructor has determined that you can still safely fly an airplane.

All I'm saying is that a pilot with X hours who is currently employed should be seen by employers on the same level as another pilot with X hours whose hours could have been years ago, but has recently passed a BFR/IPC. Thats the way I see it. I hope Ameriflight sees it the same way. They don't have any recent hour mins posted, but they do have a section of their online application where you have to list your hours in the past 6 and 12 months. I just feel bad for putting all zeros in those fields.

You can certainly try, but I doubt they are going to give you a shot/spend any resources on you. There's a significant difference between an IPC and amflight sims.
And to be honest there is a massive difference between 2000TT 0 past 6 months(let alone 1 month) and 1200TT ~300 past 6 mos. I'd give the later the shot first every time. You can tell instantly when getting into a plane with the former.

My advice - try another 135 operator. If you happen to have a few hundred in the pa31 already... well then maybe.

You can certainly try, but I doubt they are going to give you a shot/spend any resources on you. There's a significant difference between an IPC and amflight sims.

Try another 135 operator.
ugh, I hate this line of thinking. I've done plenty of instrument approaches. I used to teach them to students. I used to fly metros where we would regularly shoot non-precision approaches down to minimums. It may have been 3 years ago, but its not like the knowledge just disappears from your head after a certain amount of time has lapsed.

edit: I think currency is really only relevent with reference to aircraft type. 300 hours of C-172 in the past 6 months is not really going to help you when you're flying a PA-31. All though 300 hours of PA-31 time in the past 6 months most certainly will. When I first started flying the metro at my last job, I just got out of instructing where I was flying 100 hours/month, yet I struggled mainly because the airplane was completely different.

ugh, I hate this line of thinking. I've done plenty of instrument approaches. I used to teach them to students. I used to fly metros where we would regularly shoot non-precision approaches down to minimums. It may have been 3 years ago, but its not like the knowledge just disappears from your head after a certain amount of time has lapsed.

No, but your ability to do it has. It's not something you retain for life. It's a practiced skill. Sure you can still read a plate, but can you still fly that metro down to mins in adverse weather on 1 engine?
Give it a shot, and with the metro time, you're going to be more likely to get a call.
They wash out probably 50% of the people that come in during sims, and it's not because they can't fly an instrument approach.

No, but your ability to do it has. It's not something you retain for life. It's a practiced skill. Sure you can still read a plate, but can you still fly that metro down to mins in adverse weather on 1 engine?
Give it a shot, and with the metro time, you're going to be more likely to get a call.
They wash out probably 50% of the people that come in during sims, and it's not because they can't fly an instrument approach.
The problem is that I can't apply until I actually get my BFR/IPC, which is going to cost upwards of 500 bucks. Thats a lot of money to spend when there's a good risk that the recruiter is just going to throw my application in the trash once he/she sees I have the 0 hours in the past 12 months. And all the other 135 operators are likely to feel the same way too; Ameriflight, Flight Express, Airnet, etc. Probably regional airlines too. :( If I had tons of money saved up I'd feel easier about taking that risk, but I don't.

Nothing you have done will prepare you for the type of flying you are expected to perform at a 135 cargo operation, or the training. Sitting in the right seat of C172 with your arms folded while flying an approach, is not the same nor is flying a metro in a crew environment (you mentioned we). Ameriflight flows are designed to keep a single pilot safe in trying conditions, I have heard 121 pilots complain they are overly difficult but they are coming from a 2 crew environment. A good portion of qualified, current, pilots wash out of training.

It may have been 3 years ago, but its not like the knowledge just disappears from your head after a certain amount of time has lapsed.

I think the FAA would disagree with you here. That's why they have IPCs, recurrent training, and BFRs even for people that fly almost everyday. Even with flying 600 hours a year, I am amazed at how much I can forget in a year. After a few years without instructing I am in no position to teach PPL info to a student pilot.

If you really want to see how well prepared you are go rent a multi engine sim and ask the instructor to put you through a multiple approach slam dunk session to see how well you are prepared for a sim session for an interview. Then take KLBs advice and go back to flight instructing to get current. Flight Schools are getting desperate nowadays maybe you can get one to cut you a deal on a BFR, you can do an IPC when you have made the big bucks CFIing. You should look for a shool with a sim you can use to train for interviews.

No, you won't make it.

Sounds harsh but the matter of fact truth.

Really, it's flying a navajo, it really isn't rocket science?

Knock out a BFR/IPC/Medical and then go really pound out approaches in a multi sim. This is the only way you'll get a job interview, if you want to fly professionally, these are the sacrifices you'll have to make. If you really don't, then save your money and HR's time.

Really, it's flying a navajo, it really isn't rocket science?

Wouldn't believe how tedious and precise the chieftan training regime is at AMF. It really sets you up well when you have to transition to the other aircraft.

edit: I think currency is really only relevent with reference to aircraft type. 300 hours of C-172 in the past 6 months is not really going to help you when you're flying a PA-31. All though 300 hours of PA-31 time in the past 6 months most certainly will. When I first started flying the metro at my last job, I just got out of instructing where I was flying 100 hours/month, yet I struggled mainly because the airplane was completely different.

Give it a shot, apply after doing an IPC and BFR. Then when you get into sims you will see what everyone is talking about. You will either sink or swim. INDOC and sims are no joke.

The problem is that I can't apply until I actually get my BFR/IPC, which is going to cost upwards of 500 bucks. Thats a lot of money to spend when there's a good risk that the recruiter is just going to throw my application in the trash once he/she sees I have the 0 hours in the past 12 months. And all the other 135 operators are likely to feel the same way too; Ameriflight, Flight Express, Airnet, etc. Probably regional airlines too.
frown.png
If I had tons of money saved up I'd feel easier about taking that risk, but I don't.

Do you really need a current BFR/IPC? You'll get legal in training...

There is a discontinuity between what you get in training and what the company expects you to bring to the table.

Yes, you could get legal while doing the training. But Ameriflight is a business, right now there is no business need to get somebody up to speed when it may be easier to hire somebody who is up to speed already and has a greater chance of passing training.

The problem is that I can't apply until I actually get my BFR/IPC, which is going to cost upwards of 500 bucks. Thats a lot of money to spend when there's a good risk that the recruiter is just going to throw my application in the trash once he/she sees I have the 0 hours in the past 12 months.

Too bad you dropped out of aviation back then otherwise you would be rich like all the rest of us on the board.

Back