more Ameriflight....

Compared to? Single pilot ifr is a great skill set. Many cargo guys will go onto charter, air ambulance, regionals, air tankers, etc. It develops the PIC mentality which is just a trick in the bag. But that can be had other ways, just depends on your goal.

Whatever. Single Pilot IFR made me the greatest pilot anyone has ever seen. Well, it helped.

14162-16039.gif

Do you ameriflight guys feel like you are much better pilots from woring there? Better prepared in the long run?

Yes
No

While flying a twin turboprop single pilot IFR barefoot in the snow uphill both ways is impressive on the resume, it is not what the industry is currently looking for. In different economic times this experience put you in a good position to move on to the industries scooter mentioned. Currently there are a whole lot of guys that have jet time, crew time, over ocean time, 121 time, FMS time, looking for the same jobs that freight pilots are trying for, I feel they have a competitive advantage.

Even in the last decade which i have read was the worst in aviation opportunity history there have been periods where a freightdog resume was competitive. I think anyone starting right now would probably have good timing 3 years from now when you reach the magic 1000 TPIC, and the interview process consists of fogging a mirror.

Again, it all depends where you want to end up. When the 2008 hiring boom hit, I had times for most regionals. I didnt apply because I felt going from a trainer to a jet, I would be a hinderance to the flight and I wanted to be better prepared before I was responsible for 50 lives. So I decided to go freight. Then all the furloughs came so I stayed put. Since then, my focus has become more of QOL/$ then getting to a regional. Thankfully I have found that.

I haven't worked 121 so I can't say for sure I'm more prepared for *blank* because I went 135 over 121, but I can say I wouldnt be where I'm at had I gone 121.

I've heard in the past that Amflight is a squeaky wheel gets the grease kinda place as far as hiring and interviews go, still true? What's a guy with an ATP but 40 ME have to do to get on over there?

I've heard in the past that Amflight is a squeaky wheel gets the grease kinda place as far as hiring and interviews go, still true? What's a guy with an ATP but 40 ME have to do to get on over there?

Put in an app online and call Sherie. Call till you get to talk with her and you will most likely get an interview.

You won't need that, just ask for the pilot recruiter. You'll enjoy talking to her. (where have I heard that)
She isn't some HR person. She knows her stuff from experience.

Actually, they can do interviews at any base, right? MIA?

Any base with an ACP. MIA is an extension of CVG and does not have an ACP.

When you have a phone interview sheri will give you a list of places you can do the face to face interview. Some ACPs are too busy sometimes and may not be available.

Again, it all depends where you want to end up. ... I didnt apply because I felt going from a trainer to a jet, I would be a hinderance to the flight and I wanted to be better prepared before I was responsible for 50 lives....
I find that somewhat comical. I mean, I see what you are saying about the responsibility for other people's lives but what about your own. A LOT of people I know went 121 because they believed they couldn't hack it flying single pilot IFR barefoot up hill and all that. I had my own reservations (for the first week or so) but then found out it wasn't so bad. Flyingscot is right about all the jet/ocean/FMS stuff. These freight jobs really hone those decision making skills and I can really tell that is still what sets me apart from other guys I have worked with since. It's a fantastic cherry on top. Fact is you still have to have all that ice cream under it. Flying in Alaska gave me great stick and rudder skills but lets face it. Southwest Airlines et al. do not make 30+ bush landings in a 'hard' VFR environment on a given day. The skills do not directly translate and that is where you to be good at selling those experiences towards a different kind of flight operation. It's not easy unless the interviewer has been there too. It will make you a better pilot but you may never get the recognition for it. Being a genuinely talented pilot will pay dividends though.

I have the part 135 mins, but I haven't flown since 2008. Will this automatically disqualify me from getting invited to a class? I would rather not spend all the money getting a BFR/IPC/Medical if it wouldn't even matter anyway.

Back