more Ameriflight....

Re: Indoc starts in less than a week...

Question about the interview: is it true that they want you to perform an NDB approach? That is a rumor I heard, and I want to be certain.

Not likely, but it is possible. We do have to do NDB approaches to mins sometimes.

Yea they didn't include aircraft specific stuff in the indoc packet they emailed me.. Just regs and company ops stuff mostly. I think somewhere in there they said they hand out aircraft specific stuff the first day of class.

They used to give you a piece of paper with a bunch of reg numbers and thats it. That indoc packet they hand out now is actually pretty good. As for the PA31 stuff, I think they do it midway through indoc, but it could be on day one. The Dir of Tng told me they switched to that cause people were just blowing off the indoc stuff.

They give you all your books on Day 1. Study Indoc stuff thoroughly before going to class. Study flows (must know well) and aircraft stuff during indoc.

And relax, the training program is good. If you don't suck, you'll be fine.

Question about the interview: is it true that they want you to perform an NDB approach? That is a rumor I heard, and I want to be certain.

I didn't have to do one in my interview/sim. I don't even think I've practiced one since getting my IFR ticket in 2001. There are hardly any left.

NDBs. Easy and fun!

I guess... plus you get to rock out to the identifier the whole way in.

Not likely, but it is possible. We do have to do NDB approaches to mins sometimes.

Like, in actual IFR?? If that's the case, where are you flying to that still has an NDB approach and that approach can get you appreciably closer to the runway? I always remember thinking they weren't very useful in a lot of IFR situations.

And relax, the training program is good. If you don't suck, you'll be fine.

Thanks. But I'll tell ya, I'm already having bad dreams about showing up to Burbank and not being prepared at all. I used to have similar dreams in college about showing up to finals late and/or dumbfounded.

You will get your PA31 manual, ops manual, training manual and other crap the day you show up for INDOC.

Like, in actual IFR?? If that's the case, where are you flying to that still has an NDB approach and that approach can get you appreciably closer to the runway? I always remember thinking they weren't very useful in a lot of IFR situations.

There are some airports that we go into that only have an NDB and GPS approach. The problem is that a lot of people are not GPS qualified and not all aircraft have a GPS.

Thanks. But I'll tell ya, I'm already having bad dreams about showing up to Burbank and not being prepared at all. I used to have similar dreams in college about showing up to finals late and/or dumbfounded.

You will be fine in Indoc, trust me. Just study the packet now and then study flows and systems during Indoc and you should be fine for all of training.

And a tip. Go to the Yahoo building cafeteria for lunch. Cheap food that isn't bad.

\

I am the same way. And I showed up to INDOC feeling the same exact way. Just study what they give you. Really read and reread that pre indoc briefing packet as best you can. I dont think they give you the flows before INDOC but if they do. start getting the flows now. You will most likely be handed that stuff on a Friday, then start practicing on cardboard mockups on Monday/Tuesday. Wednesday sims start. Study the flows until you can do them without even thinking. Then study them a crapload more. Really understand it, be able to close your eyes and move your hand across to each spot and know whats there, and what you need to do for that particular phase of flight.

I studied flows until I was blue in the face, and would still hang up under pressure. I had to study even further to really get them down solid.

I didn't have to do one in my interview/sim. I don't even think I've practiced one since getting my IFR ticket in 2001. There are hardly any left.

Responding to the emphsized portions.

There are a lot of NDBs still out there, granted everyday GPS is coming to airports like those, but most of AMF's airplanes do not have GPS. And even if the plane you are flying is GPS equipped there is a very good chance that you are only approved for enroute / departure / arrival operations and not approaches due not taking your check in a GPS equipped aircraft.

The approach into Siskyou, CA is NDB/GPS only, done that approach a few dozen times in a PA31...best part is that you don't land at that airport, but cancel and go VFR to the airport next door if the weather will legally allow it.

The approach to Vernon, TX is NDB/GPS only, done that approach a dozen times in a BE99...

The Caribbean is filled with them, done several NDB approaches in the 99 and one in the Metro...

NDBs aren't a thing of the past, they are simply old technology that is slowly getting replaced. The vast majority of the rest of the world is still using them religiously for enroute and approach operations.

Also, you will do DME arcs at AMF in IMC as well :o, oh the terror! :D

I've never had an issue with arcs. Done one or two in actual. Dunno, maybe trying it in the Navajo will scramble my brains.... :p

It's interesting to see Amflight's relatively slow/late embrace of the GPS. Seems affordable enough these days and you can't put a price on that kind of SA, not to mention the theoretical fuels savings of going direct when it's available.

Lol!

Responding to the emphsized portions.

There are a lot of NDBs still out there, granted everyday GPS is coming to airports like those, but most of AMF's airplanes do not have GPS. And even if the plane you are flying is GPS equipped there is a very good chance that you are only approved for enroute / departure / arrival operations and not approaches due not taking your check in a GPS equipped aircraft.

The approach into Siskyou, CA is NDB/GPS only, done that approach a few dozen times in a PA31...best part is that you don't land at that airport, but cancel and go VFR to the airport next door if the weather will legally allow it.

The approach to Vernon, TX is NDB/GPS only, done that approach a dozen times in a BE99...

The Caribbean is filled with them, done several NDB approaches in the 99 and one in the Metro...

NDBs aren't a thing of the past, they are simply old technology that is slowly getting replaced. The vast majority of the rest of the world is still using them religiously for enroute and approach operations.

Thanks for the info. Do you guys have HSIs and RMIs? If so, NDB approaches and DME arcs should be no-brainers. Anyway, sounds like great flying.

135 cross country times

More questions!

The pre-indoc packet says we need to bring total logbook times (duh) but also including point to point cross country time. Is this considered any flight that you land at a destination different from your departure airport regardless of distance? Using the standard 50NM rule plus the ATP change after I got that, I have over 1100 hours of x-country time right now. Do I need to go back through the logbooks and add up every flight where I landed at different airport than I departed from? Seems excessive...

Some of the smaller places in Oregon and there is one in AZ that we have to do in the winter time. Like everyone else said, all of these approaches are NDB or GPS, but we do not always have a GPS and a lot of pilots can only use the GPS for enroute (me).

Lol!

Thanks for the info. Do you guys have HSIs and RMIs? If so, NDB approaches and DME arcs should be no-brainers. Anyway, sounds like great flying.

The PA31-350s have an HSI, and I think the -310s do not. I've only found a few of our PA31's that have an ADF, and none had an RMI, only the moveable card.

Some of the smaller places in Oregon and there is one in AZ that we have to do in the winter time. Like everyone else said, all of these approaches are NDB or GPS, but we do not always have a GPS and a lot of pilots can only use the GPS for enroute (me).

The PA31-350s have an HSI, and I think the -310s do not. I've only found a few of our PA31's that have an ADF, and none had an RMI, only the moveable card.

I might be a little out of touch with reality, but I can appreciate that. I always preferred to leave the card fixed. Ok, back on track, my apologies.

HSI...ha. :)

Applicants may not be tested on an NDB approach, but it will be worth it for you to get proficient in them in someway 'cause that stuff will be real some random early A.M. with ample opportunity to CFIT.

Ya there are some crappy as hell NDB approaches. But NDB approaches aren't all that crazy hard. They give you the NDB into Palmdale in the sims, it looks like the easiest thing in the world to do but it can bite you.

Re: 135 cross country times

More questions!

The pre-indoc packet says we need to bring total logbook times (duh) but also including point to point cross country time. Is this considered any flight that you land at a destination different from your departure airport regardless of distance? Using the standard 50NM rule plus the ATP change after I got that, I have over 1100 hours of x-country time right now. Do I need to go back through the logbooks and add up every flight where I landed at different airport than I departed from? Seems excessive...

Yes. You need to add it up I am afraid. Makes a good argument for electronic logbooks :)

I was given a VOR approach, missed to the published hold at my interview in March. You can interview at multiple bases with multiple interviewers. I don't think any two interviews will be the same. My interviewer did have a few sheets of paper from HQ that required him to ask certain questions. Mainly about my current twin, Vspeeds etc... also a bunch of HR. I did not get slammed with a ton of technical questions as I was expecting based on the gouges. It all depends on who you get.

Partial panel, single engine, circle to land NDB comes to mind.

Back