more Ameriflight....

I got an interview coming up and was going to schedule it for April 22 (Good Friday). It is not a federal holiday so I'm assuming Ameriflight should be operating correct? I just want to know now so I can let HR know on Monday. Also, I know the interviews are standardized no matter which base you go to but any pros or cons between doing it at SLC verses PHX or OMA? Thanks in advance for any info.

I got an interview coming up and was going to schedule it for April 22 (Good Friday). It is not a federal holiday so I'm assuming Ameriflight should be operating correct? I just want to know now so I can let HR know on Monday. Also, I know the interviews are standardized no matter which base you go to but any pros or cons between doing it at SLC verses PHX or OMA? Thanks in advance for any info.

22 APR is good.
If you are closer to OMA, you might as well just do it there. It is going to be pretty standardized.
The guy in OMA is a real straight shooter and all around good guy.

keep 'em coming! I am surprised with all the movement... I just met a guy who is training for the SA-227 after being with the company for only 6 months! Pretty cool!

I was talking with a check airman and a metro guy the other day. They mentioned me being in a Metro by the end of the year if I am willing to move. As long as hiring keeps up, I see that possibly happening.

Oh an congrats by the way SIU.

I think I read in one of the gouges that one of the places you can interview doesn't have a sim ride ride. AMF doesn't have sims at the individual bases, they use local flight schools if they can.

keep 'em coming! I am surprised with all the movement... I just met a guy who is training for the SA-227 after being with the company for only 6 months! Pretty cool!

Yeah, that guy is the kindest, most most down to earth maddog we have here. Also to be fair, his previous Yet time, launched him into the 227.

I was talking with a check airman and a metro guy the other day. They mentioned me being in a Metro by the end of the year if I am willing to move. As long as hiring keeps up, I see that possibly happening.

Oh an congrats by the way SIU.

Yeah. It all depends on their need. It took me a year and a couple of months to get to the metro. It would have been sooner, but they needed me in the 99 longer. Theres is a lot of movement from the top where some of the metro and 1900 guys are moving on. I suspecting this trend to continue.

Okay, okay... here goes...

Been lurking around the forum for a while but I figure it's time to participate finally.

I interviewed with Ameriflight in OAK last week and got a job offer on Monday of this week. I've been in the flying game for about 11 years now, not a lot of hours for that time frame because I took a few years off to finish my degree between 05-07. Also got laid off from a corporate flying gig in 09 when the economy dumped and didn't fly much until early 2010. Been at an aerial mapping company since then and only logged about 145 hours all last year. But I've been around long enough and do have my ATP (as if that means anything without a type rating), so I finally decided to give Amflight a try and hopefully build some good time, fast.

I've been kind of weary of Amflight for a while only because of the perceived "cowboy" mentality that I thought might have been encouraged there. But after talking with Sheri in my phone interview and the ACP in my actual interview, I feel like Amflight is probably a true professional operation and not the stereotypical 135 horror stories we tend to hear about in the industry. I'm looking forward to the experience [if I don't wash out of ground school] and think this might be a good fit for a few years.

The interview is pretty straight forward. Thorough would be the operative word. Typical Where do you see yourself in 5 years and Why Ameriflight questions initially. Then it's on to systems and V speeds for the airplane you fly now. He got me on max demonstrated xwind which I honestly never really looked at on the 206 due to my belief that it's not a concrete number anyway. Sort of a manufacturer's ballpark suggestion.

Then charts. I got caught with my pants down on the VFR chart for 2 reasons: 1, I didn't study it prior to the interview believing it would be IFR focused, and 2, come on, the legend is attached to the map. Anyway, he covers pretty much everything you can find on the charts- IFR low, VFR, and plates.

Then there was the hypothetical IFR flight where he gives you charts and a clearance and asks you how you would proceed. There are several "gotchas" in this part. Basically parts of the clearance you can't technically accept because of your equipment and little omissions in the clearance that most pilots would probably miss until they looked it over on the charts. Anyway, I ended up doing okay on that and it was off to the sim.

First of all, I would like to extend my middle finger to the inventor of the Frasca... but I digress... He gave me a clearance from KCCR to KOAK with a hold, some vectors, and the ILS 27R (lucky me!). This Frasca doesn't even have a monitor, so you're guaranteed to go missed every time. Somehow, I did okay on this despite my struggles with the pitch trim. To anyone looking at an interview USE THE CHECKLIST THEY PROVIDE YOU and FLY AS SLOW AS PRACTICAL because my buddy who interviewed got burned on these two items.

All in all, a very pleasant experience. Stressful to be sure, but not as bad as others would have had me believe. The ACP at KOAK is a really cool guy. Very easy going in terms of personality and never made me feel uncomfortable or intimidated. I look forward to meeting some of the other KOAK pilots in the near future. Cheers!

Re: Okay, okay... here goes...

You will see in indoc. AMF carries its self very professionally. I was blown away during the interview process and indoc. Good luck and have fun! See you in OAK one of these days.

I've been kind of weary of Amflight for a while only because of the perceived "cowboy" mentality that I thought might have been encouraged there. But after talking with Sheri in my phone interview and the ACP in my actual interview, I feel like Amflight is probably a true professional operation and not the stereotypical 135 horror stories we tend to hear about in the industry.

The "cowboy mentality" is mostly freight dogs saying "my job is tougher than yours" and "we're more manly men than those sissy RJ drivers". It's 99% show, and stops on the ramp.

What IS different is that we don't worry about passenger comfort. You will learn the difference between "uncomfortable" vs "unsafe" when you fly frieght, and operating in that margin is what 135 freight is all about.

The "cowboy mentality" is mostly freight dogs saying "my job is tougher than yours" and "we're more manly men than those sissy RJ drivers". It's 99% show, and stops on the ramp.

What IS different is that we don't worry about passenger comfort. You will learn the difference between "uncomfortable" vs "unsafe" when you fly frieght, and operating in that margin is what 135 freight is all about.

Very well said. About sums it up. Saying that, you may scare yourself a time or two flying cargo but thats good. Thats experience that you wont get slinging a gear at a regional. Being a little nervous for the most part is a result of lack of experience. 135 freight is awesome and Amflight is about the best company to work for. MX is great, they take dispatch releases seriously, and for the most part management is on the pilots side. Good luck to every one who was recently hired!

Does one need to bring driving records to the interview? HR sent me an email with a list of things to bring and that was not included in it.

No you wont need your driving records. Only American Eagle required actual driving records at the interview. Believe it or not, AMF doesn't have you fill out the required paperwork till you get to Indoc.

Back