more Ameriflight....

You got me Mike, I'm a hypocrite. I figure management will want thier pilots on the line for at least a few months before being moved to training capt, and by then I'll be broke enough to not care and just do it for the money. Regardless, I'm just going to focus on a successful completion of training, because I think the horse goes before the cart, unless it's the other way around :confused:

Yes I'm leaving FSI, but Paris Air and Aviator also do a lot of ME training. However, I think there are a number of reasons to choose a job at FSI over the others, but I may be a bit partial. Nice thing is once I got in the Seminole, I rarely ever flew the Cherokee again. And thank God too because I despise that airplane.

You got me Mike, I'm a hypocrite. I figure management will want thier pilots on the line for at least a few months before being moved to training capt, and by then I'll be broke enough to not care and just do it for the money. Regardless, I'm just going to focus on a successful completion of training, because I think the horse goes before the cart, unless it's the other way around :confused:

Yes I'm leaving FSI, but Paris Air and Aviator also do a lot of ME training. However, I think there are a number of reasons to choose a job at FSI over the others, but I may be a bit partial. Nice thing is once I got in the Seminole, I rarely ever flew the Cherokee again. And thank God too because I despise that airplane.

Here's the way the training department works, or at least used to work when I was there.

There are two types of training done at Amflight; online and offline. Online training is training that is done on revenue part 135 legs, and offline is done in base when the planes aren't working, and they're done part 91. In Burbank, that means you train in the dead of night.

Offline training captains are (or at least were in the past) hired with less than 1,200 hours, and provided flight, sim and ground training in the Piper Chieftain. Online training captains are (or at least were in the past) guys with more than 1,200 hours and train people in various aircraft online.

They hired some no talent ass clowns (two words) from around these parts to do offline training in the Chieftain years ago. There are also a few people around here that were online training captains. If you liked flight instructing, and you want to do it at a higher level, talk with Bob or Sherri (if you run into her) about it in training and they'll be able to answer any questions you have about it.

Teaching people at Amflight is a blast. True, you have to train hacks like JayAre up there, but otherwise it's honestly some of the best flying I've ever done :)

I PM'd a few AMF drivers but also figured I would post in here. I did a phone interview with Sheri, and getting set up for an in house interview. I am hoping for OAK, in the Chieftain I would imagine. Thanks to all AMF JC employee's there is a bunch of great gouge on the interview process. My question is about IFR proficiency. What are they really looking for here? Do they expect anything that wouldn't be previously learned through instrument training?

What are they really looking for here?

Good IFR procedures and instrument skills. Here's a tip. I don't know if you're giving a power setting or not. If not, pull the power back to a speed you are comfortable with. It it's 130kt's. Fly at 130kts.

I PM'd a few AMF drivers but also figured I would post in here. I did a phone interview with Sheri, and getting set up for an in house interview. I am hoping for OAK, in the Chieftain I would imagine. Thanks to all AMF JC employee's there is a bunch of great gouge on the interview process. My question is about IFR proficiency. What are they really looking for here? Do they expect anything that wouldn't be previously learned through instrument training?

Just be up to speed on precision/non-precision stuff. All entry's into holds, know how and when you are required to use a procedure turn. Lost comm stuff, know speeds in all airspace, flying around MOAs, and general weather stuff. It's been a bit since I interviewed there and I don't want to give away specifics (not fair to you or other people) but they are a single pilot IFR operator and they will want you to be able to do everything 1. safe 2. legal that will be able to get the cargo to the destination. So in addition to being IFR proficient, be VFR proficient.

Dont worry about it. AMF doesnt even require a multi engine rating! They will train you to proficiency :) :sarcasm:

Really though, show up ready to fly single pilot IFR in a high performance piston twin. Practice some approaches in a PCATD or FTD. As soon as you start FTD (sim) training, youll be too busy learning the flows to worry about flying basic IFR procedures.

And... Chieftains are Navajos, Navajos are not chieftains. You got the Navajo, Navajo B, and Navajo Chieftain. All variants of the same type. Same type certificate.

top to bottom, left to right:
Mags on, lights on, pumps on, mixtures rich. Fuel on mains.

Then
Gear down, 3 green-mirror, props 2400, heater off(depends on ambient temp, otherwise its an after landing checklist item.)

Consult checklist.

There really isn't a flow at all. Whatever floats your boat.

top to bottom, left to right:
Mags on, lights on, pumps on, mixtures rich. Fuel on mains.

Then
Gear down, 3 green-mirror, props 2400, heater off(depends on ambient temp, otherwise its an after landing checklist item.)

Consult checklist.

There really isn't a flow at all. Whatever floats your boat.

Sounds about right! ;)

Dude, just fly it the way your company has trained you! Unless youre in charge of training and looking for new SOP's what difference does it make???

He just wants to tell you, you're doing it right wrong. I didn't think you guys used checklists up in Alaska. Thought you were above that.

Back