Mom questioned about biracial daughter after flight at DIA

GypsyPilot

Mohawk Town

In the video, an airline employee and the officers can be heard apologizing, and explaining they stopped the pair after concerns were reported about the family’s behavior.

I remember a similar story several months ago. It seems like the airlines are really being put into a tough spot here, as their employees may not have enough training to handle what could really blow up in their face. I know I would be extremely reluctant to say anything about suspected human trafficking, unless I saw blatant abusive behavior or something.

50,000 a year trafficked in the usa. You're gonna have bad press while trying to fight this, of course with 2m people traveling a day vs av of 137 trafficked a day, you're going to be looking pretty hard and screwing up. I'd hate to give up since everyone is trying to help on this problem and getting a few victories here and there.

50,000 a year trafficked in the usa.

I call bulls***.

Ever since “wayfair is selling kids!” And “37 trafficked kids in a trailer in Georgia!” I’ve become deeply skeptical of the various claims regarding human trafficking.

My ex was absolutely convinced that Wayfair was trafficking children. She was obsessed with TikTok videos about it. That’s when I first realized that the lockdowns were taking a serious toll on her mental health.

And that’s why I despise TikTok. It‘s a perfect platform for trafficking (pun intended) in this garbage and manipulating people’s thoughts.

My ex was absolutely convinced that Wayfair was trafficking children. She was obsessed with TikTok videos about it. That’s when I first realized that the lockdowns were taking a serious toll on her mental health.
That stuff was circulating years before COVID was even a thing.

“Seems about right” isn’t how we do statistics, former monkey.
The number isn't zero. The number isnt 68k. Something close to zero (on a seven digit) number makes sense to me. Also, pretty long odds you're going to find one but somehow these FAs sniff it out.

If you wanna shut down the program fine, but, these FAs are either very very lucky or borderline good. Not great. They're good. They do a little better than ok.

Yes, but when people were sitting around the house for months on end doing nothing but watching TikTok videos when they should have been working, it spread like wildfire.

Yes. Yes I do.
Well you're the one with the big bucks you big sally, go call your federal reps! You get a couple stories together of this being a program to shame mixed race parents and call it institutional racism you can probably get the woke crowd on your side. A little twitter histrionics and can probably get the online cancel culture focused in on blah blah blah and that'll help them work off this anxiety of getting rickity-rickity-WRECKED this week.

Well you're the one with the big bucks you big sally, go call your federal reps! You get a couple stories together of this being a program to shame mixed race parents and call it institutional racism you can probably get the woke crowd on your side. A little twitter histrionics and can probably get the online cancel culture focused in on blah blah blah and that'll help them work off this anxiety of getting rickity-rickity-WRECKED this week.

Hard pass on teaming up with the woke.

Seems like the mean old lady calling the cops on a “creepy van” driving around at 3 am every morning.

Yea, they were delivering papers.

I’ll just add that until there is blowback for making false accusations, this kind of thing will continue.

Ever since “wayfair is selling kids!” And “37 trafficked kids in a trailer in Georgia!” I’ve become deeply skeptical of the various claims regarding human trafficking.
Same, actually. My airline's training talked about it, and I just kinda didn't think too hard about it.

Then I started hearing people repeating the numbers a lot, and I started actually thinking about it.

Now I'm pretty skeptical.

Same, actually. My airline's training talked about it, and I just kinda didn't think too hard about it.

Then I started hearing people repeating the numbers a lot, and I started actually thinking about it.

Now I'm pretty skeptical.

Flights going through most US airports have an n<1 chance of having trafficked passengers. Flights going through select US airports from certain other (international) destinations have a much higher likelihood of having trafficked passengers.

I don't know the exact numbers, but my cousin is an RN and works at St. Luke's a behavioral hospital here in PHX. They're the only level one acute trauma behavioral hospital for children and adolescents. He says that the have a 23 hr. observation unit for kids. Also currently have 2 dedicated units (48 beds) for adolescents and children. And are thinking about expanding on the kids units, because of the severe need. They also recently opened a 24 bed child/adolescent traffick unit. Why? Because the trafficked kids were naturally very sexually aggressive. And didn't mix or socialize too well with the general psych kids. They were often sexually assaulting their roommates, or sneaking out of their rooms at night to have sex with peers. Sometimes even adult staff... :rolleyes: Lots of 1:1's on that unit. 1:1 (one to one) meaning a staff is closely watching the patient and is in arms reach at all times to prevent them from acting out. Sometimes even 2:1's ordered.

I knew Tye when I worked there in 2010-2015. :oops:

Flights going through most US airports have an n<1 chance of having trafficked passengers. Flights going through select US airports from certain other (international) destinations have a much higher likelihood of having trafficked passengers.

Right, but ... I hate to be like this but:

Show your work.

Data come in various grades of squishiness, from "nebulous" to "hard." We have lost the concept of "rigor" in the realm of public discourse, and we bandy about data as if they are all equal; see also the trap of expertise. (Even experts rely on the expertise of others in areas they themselves may be unqualified to comment or vet)

Social consensus, even among scientists, does not equate to expert consensus. See also: displacement of expertise. (aka. "Wings don't work that way," -pilot; "Well Joe says they do, and Joe is a Ph.D. Neuroscientist! A literal brain surgeon!")

I'm not saying the numbers are wrong, mind you. I'm saying that I question their quality, their source, and the underlying data.

I don’t think anyone is arguing that trafficking for various reasons ISNT happening, or that we shouldn’t be having law enforcement dealing with it. But when activists are trying to count kids who were in custody of the wrong parent or couch surfing with friends/relatives (even if a lot of those kids were in bad situations), like in that Georgia deal, that badly muddles the picture of how things need to be addressed. And it makes people like me really skeptical when big numbers are thrown around.

Back