Mom alleges kicked out of Delta first class for crying baby

One parent stays home, the other goes. Sometimes in life sacrifices have to be made. I've lived through this exact scenario. I was quite young when my grandfather died. My dad stayed home with my brother and I while mom went to his funeral. Life is difficult sometimes.

Once again, no infant "needs" to fly.
Ok, let's make Grandma the mother of mom in this story. You're saying she should miss her mothers funeral because they have a baby who needs constant attention? That's cold bro. Buck up buttercup.

Are you seriously suggesting that even a meaningful fraction of the screaming crapfactories in the back of airplanes are like war orphans fleeing the Viet Cong or jetting across the globe to visit Yoda before he becomes all translucent?

Spare me.

Ok, let's make Grandma the mother of mom in this story. You're saying she should miss her mothers funeral because they have a baby who needs constant attention? That's cold bro. Buck up buttercup.

One parent going is better than none. And I'm speaking from a perspective of a 30 year old who has no living parents or grandparents anymore.

When you have children, you are assuming a change in lifestyle and to sacrifices which wouldn't have been made while living the swashbuckling bachelor life. Less frequent/non-existent Air travel the first few years (when traveling with the child) should be one of those sacrifices.

I understand that. I'm saying that it should.

If I'm stuck in a middle seat with my knees again the tray table because the "Wanna Get Away" price was just tooooo good to pass up then I kind of expect a crying kid to be a part of the suck and prepare myself accordingly.

But if I've chucked over a grand at a seat in the FC cabin then I expect a certain kind of experience, and a screaming kid ain't part of it.

Much of my experience with this is more of the $12k seat on certain MENA carriers where the rest of FC is occupied by a Sheikh takeover plus kids, wives and servants.

I wasn't thrilled with the kids running around the cabin and playing in the aisle, but then again I was so self absorbed and delusional to think that my complaining will get me anything worth the effort. (Sorry Sheikh Mohammed, That fat, bald, spotted, white dude in 3G doesn't appreciate your kids being noisy could you please move them to the unwashed class cabin)

I think people tend to forget they were babies / children once too. If we all had "just" a little more compassion for each other, maybe the world would be "that" less of a poop show. You don't want kids, that's cool man, your choice. Wife and I chose to have kids, and I'm a better man for it, gave me perspective on life. If it's not your bag, no judgement, kids are a crap ton of work. We just had #3. We have a 7 year old, 3 years, and 3 month old. Maybe next time you're annoyed by that "hellspawn" try digging down to that little spot inside where you're not being unreasonable, put yourself in the parents shoes, and maybe say, "Hey, can I hold something for you while you get settled into your seat?" Might make someones day, you never know. The amount of judgement here is amazing...

One parent going is better than none. And I'm speaking from a perspective of a 30 year old who has no living parents or grandparents anymore.

When you have children, you are assuming a change in lifestyle and to sacrifices which wouldn't have been made while living the swashbuckling bachelor life. Less frequent/non-existent Air travel the first few years (when traveling with the child) should be one of those sacrifices.
Orrrrr, maybe we take our kids out into the world and expose them to things, maybe give that immune system a nudge, little test drive right? Maybe we model what it means to be a productive, useful member of society...or in your plan we hole up and teach them the world doesn't want to hear from them, they're not important...shut up and fall in line minion. When my daughter was 2 months old, we flew back home to let the family meet her, we chose a seat all the way in the last row, and made nice with our neighbors, who were all very accommodating. As soon as they pressurized the cabin, her ears hurt, she cried, my wife nursed her and all was better. We apologized profusely, and actively did something to remedy the situation.

I'm sorry you lost your parents so young, that truly sucks, but just because you lived one way, should we expect society to have to go through exactly the same thing?

I've got my camera phone out, NOW WHAT? :)

Unless you're in the forward galley, not much chance you'll get to record me tell the redcoat to remove said offender. I'm the boss, I make the decision, I don't do the heavy lifting.

One parent stays home, the other goes. Sometimes in life sacrifices have to be made. I've lived through this exact scenario. I was quite young when my grandfather died. My dad stayed home with my brother and I while mom went to his funeral. Life is difficult sometimes.

Once again, no infant "needs" to fly.

Wow, and how did that example work out for you? Creating an incredibly emotionally detached attitude displayed in this thread? Do you ever think that your parents did that because they couldn't afford to take everyone along or because a family rift existed? It is not your job to dictate how others operate their families. I have come to terms that if I am on a commercial flight that I just have to accept the people who are also on board. Not a big deal. They are paying to fly, most people here are not, so suck it up.

Unless you're in the forward galley, not much chance you'll get to record me tell the redcoat to remove said offender. I'm the boss, I make the decision, I don't do the heavy lifting.
I picture it happening like this:

giphy.gif

Orrrrr, maybe we take our kids out into the world and expose them to things, maybe give that immune system a nudge, little test drive right? Maybe we model what it means to be a productive, useful member of society...or in your plan we hole up and teach them the world doesn't want to hear from them, they're not important...shut up and fall in line minion. When my daughter was 2 months old, we flew back home to let the family meet her, we chose a seat all the way in the last row, and made nice with our neighbors, who were all very accommodating. As soon as they pressurized the cabin, her ears hurt, she cried, my wife nursed her and all was better. We apologized profusely, and actively did something to remedy the situation.

I'm sorry you lost your parents so young, that truly sucks, but just because you lived one way, should we expect society to have to go through exactly the same thing?

You can expose your kids to the world without bringing them on an airplane the first couple of months and years that they are alive. I didn't say anything about never letting them travel. But it is completely pointless to me to bring children less than several years old on an airliner.

Pretty sure your kids can still be well traveled, even if they are (gasp) 4 years old the first time they step on a flying contraption. I know I turned out pretty well, afterall.

Wow, and how did that example work out for you? Creating an incredibly emotionally detached attitude displayed in this thread? Do you ever think that your parents did that because they couldn't afford to take everyone along or because a family rift existed? It is not your job to dictate how others operate their families. I have come to terms that if I am on a commercial flight that I just have to accept the people who are also on board. Not a big deal. They are paying to fly, most people here are not, so suck it up.

You're wrong on both accounts.

You can expose your kids to the world without bringing them on an airplane the first couple of months and years that they are alive. I didn't say anything about never letting them travel. But it is completely pointless to me to bring children less than several years old on an airliner.

Pretty sure your kids can still be well traveled, even if they are (gasp) 4 years old the first time they step on a flying contraption. I know I turned out pretty well, afterall.

How would one get them from one continent to the other then? Is there some middle earth passageway that I'm not exposed to by skipping the Lord of the Rings series?

After this thread? One has to wonder.
Luckily I don't have to defend my parenting tactics to a a dude with no kids on the internet...what a wonderful world we live in!

Luckily I don't have to defend my parenting tactics to a a dude with no kids on the internet...what a wonderful world we live in!

And I'll probably never have to sit next to your kids on an airplane. It is indeed a wonderful world.

Yikes, I can almost feel that cold, black, grinch heart of yours.

You might think so based on my stern responses, but I'm actually quite the opposite. Guess what? My future wife and I actually do want kids. Her family live within driving distance, I don't have much family left on my side, and she thinks airplanes (especially for young children) are cesspools of viruses and bacteria.....which they kind of are.

It gives me great satisfaction to know my future fellow travelers will be spared the screaming poop-factory in seat 35E......until they're old enough to know better.

Back