Martinaire/Freight runners express

Who got violated for that? I wouldn't/haven't done that....
There was a thread a little bit ago about an Alaska Airlines captain back in the 90s who was violated for making a 4 mile (IIRC) right base to a runway with left traffic, his argument was that from 4 miles out it was a (legal) straight in approach with a RH turn onto the straight in.

There was a thread a little bit ago about an Alaska Airlines captain back in the 90s who was violated for making a 4 mile (IIRC) right base to a runway with left traffic, his argument was that from 4 miles out it was a (legal) straight in approach with a RH turn onto the straight in.

And at an uncontrolled Airport I'd imagine. Wonder how he got caught.

Are Maritinaire flights mainly out and back or is there a lot of waiting around?

The Caravan drivers I meet do a lot of sitting. One of the guys I see every week has a 12+ hour duty day for about 3 hours flight time.

Makes me appreciate my job. The pay may suck (about the same as Martinaire), but I've averaged under 30 hours a week duty time with weekends off and no overnights. Much better QOL than any of the first year regional FOs I know.

With Martinaire you are sitting all day at the outstations. For me, i was in Hugo,OK all day 8am-715pm. T
hen i flew a different route in Guymon,OK, same thing 8am-630pm. I just worked another job during the day. Extra money and help pass the time.

Do you know of any 135's (cargo) that a new-be can get on to that have good QOL? (meaning a company that does quick turns)

Do you know of any 135's (cargo) that a new-be can get on to that have good QOL? (meaning a company that does quick turns)

The bulk of 135 freight involves sitting for the day. The majority of UPS, FedEx, and bank runs I've seen involve sitting. There are exceptions, but it's usually only on routes that have 2 aircraft (both airplanes fly to a destination in the morning, both drop off freight, 1 flys back empty). The US Mail routes probably as a whole have the shortest layover, a couple hours (relatively quick turn). Alpine as a few of these. The majority of bank runs that take place at night are relatively quick turns. Pacair has a couple of these runs, Chartran out of abq (I don't even know what the company is named anymore) has/had some. Your best bet would likely be hired into a floater position though. At my company our floaters are covering charters the bulk of the time and either don't fly or do out and backs. There are weeks that they have to cover routes (for vacationing or sick pilots), but the bulk of the time are out and backs.

Personally, I've been doing 135 freight, UPS schedule, for 6 years now. The reason I've done it as long as I have is I love the schedule. I'm outstation based, so instead of sitting somewhere for the day, I sit at home. Granted, I sleep at our base, so seldom in my own bed... but once you're asleep, it doesn't matter where you are. I spend my days doing so much great stuff. While the average person spends the sunlight hours working I'm out riding horses, fly fishing, hunting, sight seeing (I live in a beautiful area), playing guitar... and this coming summer I will take up gold panning. I get the hours between 8am and 6pm to do whatever I want, all of which is daylight (well... not quite at the momemnt, but close enough). How cool is that? If I can make it work, I'll retire from 135 freight for this reason.

Back