Martinaire/Freight runners express

Johnny150

The Warden
I have about 1100hr total time 220hr (current) multi and I meet all other 135 mins I'm just short on total time. (I will be getting the next 100 hrs in the next month I'm a CFI.) I was thinking of applying to Amerifilight, Martinaire, or Freight runners express. Can anyone give me some info on these places? (I know plenty about amflight but the others are hard to find info on) are they good/bad to work for, pay, work schedules..
Thanks

Freight Runners is scheduled and on demand. Basically no good QoL as you can get called out at any time during the day if you don't have a scheduled run. If you get a scheduled run you may be OK.Pay is good.

Mairtinair is typically the place people build their caravan time so they can go to a fedex feeder. The BE-1900 is a near impossible upgrade from the C-208 from what I hear. Pay sucks on all airframes.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I am really unsure of my end game. The most important thing for me is to gain experience and fly... I would like to get single pilot type rated and or some turbine time (twin turbine preferably)...

Do you mean left seat? and Amflight is my first choice... I think they are my best bet to gain experience.

Yes I meant left, you crazy single pilot guys. I had a work acquaintance leave for them about 6 months ago and the guy has no life. They change bases on him constantly and the hours are wacked. Ever try resting in a crappy motel room in the middle of the day for a few hours to get your required rest? Respect the guys who can, but I just couldn't do that on a daily basis.

Martinaire is like a stepping stone, they mainly fly UPS, with a little DHL on the side. The pay is very low $24,600 to start. Getting into the 1900 or Metro is a little hard; I think they want at least 500 multi. Never had a problem with MX, always had it fixed that day, they even flow a part to Guymon to have the plane in service that night. The CP is a good guy, always backs up the pilot. There is a new Dispatch Manager and she is not pushing you to fly like the former manager use to do. 1 year contract is required.
Central Air Southwest is another option. They fly twine Commanders AC500, pay is based off you route (100-200) a day. (Only 6 month contract)
I use to work for Martinaire, was very happy with them, but left for a multi gig with Central Air Southwest, flying OKC to AUS with a quick turn. If you would like help getting on with either one I can try to help you out. Right now Martinaire needs a pilot in Pennsylvania, and George.

Central Air Southwest is another option. They fly twine Commanders AC500, pay is based off you route (100-200) a day. (Only 6 month contract)
I use to work for Martinaire, was very happy with them, but left for a multi gig with Central Air Southwest, flying OKC to AUS with a quick turn. If you would like help getting on with either one I can try to help you out.

Any idea if CAS is still running their SIC program.

I know very little about about Central Air Southwest, can you tell me more about it? I also wouldn't mind flying 208's out of Georgia...

The route in Georgia is only there to cover Key Lime in case they bulk out. I don't think the pilot that is covering the route has flown it yet.

I have about 1100hr total time 220hr (current) multi and I meet all other 135 mins I'm just short on total time. (I will be getting the next 100 hrs in the next month I'm a CFI.) I was thinking of applying to Amerifilight, Martinaire, or Freight runners express. Can anyone give me some info on these places? (I know plenty about amflight but the others are hard to find info on) are they good/bad to work for, pay, work schedules..
Thanks

You sent me a PM, I just got it, it'd be more constructive if I just layed everything out on the boards this way.

Martinaire is where I work now, I went back there after Freight Runners.

There are pros and cons to both, lemme lay em out for you:

Martinaire Pros:
All Turbine equipment
Very little pressure to fly when conditions are sucky
Never pushed on flight and duty rules
Good Maintenance
Schedule is decent depending on the run you get, I like mine.
They basically throw you the keys and say, "move freight."
They have your back.

Martinaire Cons:
The pay could be a lot better
Getting into a Metro or 1900 takes luck and timing and prior multi time.

Freight Runners Pros:
Quick upgrade to a 99
The flying has substantial variety
Schedule is decent if you have a run.
I really really like Wisconsin
The money is ok.

Freight Runners Cons:
The ondemand schedule requires a "24hr-a-day" on call lifestyle with a half hour or so to wheels up (I strongly disagree with 24hr on call).
Even doing on demand you'll wind up filling in on routes and spending your days away.
Lot's of unnecessary pressure in day-to-day operations.
No real support network for operations on the road when things go bump in the night.

Back