Man Dragged off United Flight

If it was an operational recovery and they're deadheading crewmembers to staff a distressed flight, I'm not sure how else to handle that situation.
A start might be not letting the pax board? Once in a seat, entitlement ensues. I think the agent should have started working on plan B once the pax was boarded.

If it was an operational recovery and they're deadheading crewmembers to staff a distressed flight, I'm not sure how else to handle that situation.
Option 1) Offer more money until someone else gets off.
Option 2) Buy a ticket on another carrier to get the crew member to Louisville.
Option 3) Transport said crewmember over land per their contract to get them to Louisville.

Well if that were me as a paying passenger, I would use the oft quoted phrase "poor planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part".

Can you imagine being forcibly removed from your hotel room in an overbooked situation? Has that ever even happened to anyone you've known or read about on the news?

Yet this stuff happens every day. Some for very legit reasons like intoxication, bad behavior, etc but customer service in our industry is flat out broken and it effects our jobs. Less and less people flying means less airplanes means less pilots.

1n0cej.jpg

I wish I had some photoshop skills to add the little swooshy thing

prt_320x212_1394452925.jpg

Policy does seem to contradict their marketing

To me the "party foul" in this case mostly falls on the police. The front line employees were doing their job and had an uncooperative passenger. The gate agent can't legally throw an uncooperative passenger in cuffs and remove them.

Can you imagine being forcibly removed from your hotel room in an overbooked situation? Has that ever even happened to anyone you've known or read about on the news?

Absolutely! I've heard of people being "walked" (there's even a term for it) to another hotel because they were full. And had I barricaded myself in a room anyway I'd absolutely expect to be forcibly removed from the property.

Absolutely! I've heard of people being "walked" (there's even a term for it) to another hotel because they were full. And had I barricaded myself in a room anyway I'd absolutely expect to be forcibly removed from the property.
Yes I have gotten to a hotel and not had a room as well. The hotel made arrangements and transported me to the new hotel which was paid for by them. It sucks. It happens occasionally but nowhere near the level that it does with an airline.

This is a very different situation than being removed once already checked in. I made that distinction pretty clear.

Airline contract of carriage rules. Much like Apple's terms and agreements, it's just swiped down and accept without reading a single word.

And had I barricaded myself in a room anyway I'd absolutely expect to be forcibly removed from the property.

....."But I'm in the shower"

"We don't care, get your crap and go"

...."But I just lathered"

"You can rinse at the next place"

......."Um, not what I meant by lathered"

Right, but according to his ticket UAL complied with their contract of carriage.

However, refusing to deplane is a violation of the contract of carriage.

The only possible grey area involves the term "denial of boarding" and whether it applies to someone who has physically boarded already.
Jesus guys forget about the stupid "contract of carriage". We all know United can do whatever they want just like Wells Fargo can force all those customers who had accounts opened by their fraudulent actions could be forced into arbitration.

Ultimately if things like this continue to happen and be made a big deal out of (the kicker in this scenario is 1) the passenger was ALLOWED BACK ON and 2) he was black) and it costs United money things will change. Personally, I hope the guy sues United for all he can. He was let back on, that pretty much admits United screwed up and called the police on him for no reason.

Jesus guys forget about the stupid "contract of carriage". We all know United can do whatever they want just like Wells Fargo can force all those customers who had accounts opened by their fraudulent actions could be forced into arbitration.

Ultimately if things like this continue to happen and be made a big deal out of (the kicker in this scenario is 1) the passenger was ALLOWED BACK ON and 2) he was black) and it costs United money things will change. Personally, I hope the guy sues United for all he can. He was let back on, that pretty much admits United screwed up and called the police on him for no reason.

Are you sure you have worked for an airline before?

I really doubt this deters business.

If I were looking for flights online and United had a competitive airfare at the time I needed to go on the route I wanted, I wouldn't be wondering to myself, "I hope I don't end up being dragged off their plane..." Why? Because I'm not going to get myself into that ridiculous situation and neither is the extreme majority of the traveling public.

Speak for yourself. I don't work for the airlines, but regularly commute for work and most of my co-workers and I have mentioned to management to only book us on United as a last resort. I can go read countless facebook posts from co-workers about • customer service and negative experiences while traveling with United. Delta's gotten their game together, my last flight on American was pretty nice actually, Alaska's not bad and I think Southwest really needs to upgrade their fleet even if I prefer flying with them. This video just gives me one more reason to ask not to fly United. I know they wrongly took some • over the yoga pants, but their total ineptitude at customer service is what caused this to spiral out of hand. I'm sure a few travelers would've happily taken a rental car to Louisville had United offered to pay for it rather than be stuck an extra day and to only fly out in the afternoon. What would a one way rental and gas cost United? Maybe $200 at the absolute most? Even if this guy was an • for not getting off the plane if I'm a paying passenger I'm going to be furious that I was horribly delayed, because the managers dropped the ball multiple times and should have never boarded him.

Back