Man Dragged off United Flight

Doesn't matter at all. Once a passenger is asked to deplane, for whatever reason, their refusal to do so now makes them a trespasser. It's not LE's role to determine if the reason is valid or not. The lawful owner of the property has asked for them to be removed.
You're not a trespasser, you've refused to comply with a crewmember's command. If LEOs are called, you're in custody to start with, and spend the rest of your life on "the list."

You're not a trespasser, you've refused to comply with a crewmember's command. If LEOs are called, you're in custody to start with, and spend the rest of your life on "the list."

A crewmember did not ask him to deplane. A representative of the business did. Much like the manager of a department store asking an unruly customer to leave. It's a trespassing charge.

I've dealt with this before. The agent asked them to deplane. They refused. Police removed them and they were charged with trespassing.

Doesn't matter at all. Once a passenger is asked to deplane, for whatever reason, their refusal to do so now makes them a trespasser. It's not LE's role to determine if the reason is valid or not. The lawful owner of the property has asked for them to be removed.

I think trespasser is the wrong verbiage here, if I invite a paying customer on my property [plane] then suddenly change my mind they aren't 'trespassing' in the traditional sense. Either way, this is still piss poor handling of the situation.

I think trespasser is the wrong verbiage here, if I invite a paying customer on my property [plane] then suddenly change my mind they aren't 'trespassing' in the traditional sense. Either way, this is still piss poor handling of the situation.

If I invite you into my house, and then we have an argument and I tell you to get off my property, you have been disinvited, if you refuse to leave that is trespassing.

If I invite you into my house, and then we have an argument and I tell you to get off my property, you have been disinvited, if you refuse to leave that is trespassing.
Throw in a ticket purchase and the fine print allowing you to refuse services and you are right. Technically. Which is really irrelevant, just like it's irrelevant who technically had the right of way in a midair collision.

Of course the guy would be pissed, who wouldn't given the circumstances: minding your own business, waiting for the flight to depart, then be told you'd been randomly selected to be tossed off the plane, due to nothing you've done and circumstances that aren't your problem? How were you selected and not the guy to the left/right of you?

To then claim trespassing, for a situation the airline needlessly escalated; is like walking up to someone and punching them, then when they swing back at you, claiming that they're being assaultive and combative and need to be arrested.

Especially after the airline took your money, sold you a ticket, assigned you a seat, boarded you, and then comes in with some weak excuse that you've been somehow randomly selected to be kicked off the flight when all you'd been doing up to that point is sitting there waiting for departure?

The PR mess will be United's to clean up.

Yes, but 'trespassing' is still the wrong verbiage to be applied for this situation IMO. Apples & oranges.

Know how this pax was "randomly selected"? Because he is Asian and United Airlines hates Asian people.

Just wait.....that PR angle will be coming soon. I wouldn't be surprised if there are lawyers already concocting it for public consumption and personal $$.
Agreed if the others that picked up their stuff and got off after being "randomly selected" were Asian as well.
When will passengers learn that they will never be on the winning side of a situation like this?

Know how this pax was "randomly selected"? Because he is Asian and United Airlines hates Asian people.

Just wait.....that PR angle will be coming soon. I wouldn't be surprised if there are lawyers already concocting it for public consumption and personal $$.

At least he wasn't wearing leggings...

Agreed if the others that picked up their stuff and got off after being "randomly selected" were Asian as well.
When will passengers learn that they will never be on the winning side of a situation like this?

They likely won't. And at the same time, it becomes a PR mess too.

I'd be curious to know if this pax fully understood the situation and exactly why he was being kicked off the flight. If for any reason he didn't or it was unclear to him, that may explain some of the actions and reactions. But I don't know.

I'm not sure why there would be any outrage pointed at United, as it looks like it was Chicago PD who made the decision to remove the passenger in this manner.

Seems to be a lot more oversolds on flights I have been on in recent years than before, but load factors are up, upgrades are much harder.

Never personally been Voluntold, but I would guess they mostly leave business class, full fare Y and higher tier status alone.

Did see two groups get bumped recently. One a whole family, well three of the four were told. They were still arguing when I boarded. The other a single traveler, he seemed to take it OK.

I used to volunteer a lot as 90%+ of my travel is business, mostly going somewhere to then go overseas, to a location I'm never in a hurry to get to, and I try not to plan meetings the morning after arrival. Rather give up the seat to someone who may really need it, and lets face it, get a few hundred back for personal use. Though they made the later increasingly difficult to use with the carrier I used to carry status on so I'm not longer the first one at the desk offering up my seat.

From a customer perspective I'd be pretty pissed to be seated picking out my next Giant Tiki Head purchase from Skymall magazine and being told to leave, only to see crew coming down the jetbridge to take my seat. Certainly wouldn't be kicking and screaming, but would be calling the Medallion or AAdvantage Executive team about the experience once off.

I'm not sure why there would be any outrage pointed at United, as it looks like it was Chicago PD who made the decision to remove the passenger in this manner.
"In this manner" was the choice of the passenger. He refused to deplane so removal by force is the only option left. I suppose they could've asked all passengers to deplane and THEN remove him, but if he's not going without a fight, that isn't on the PD.

"In this manner" was the choice of the passenger. He refused to deplane so removal by force is the only option left. I suppose they could've asked all passengers to deplane and THEN remove him, but if he's not going without a fight, that isn't on the PD.

When it's all said and done I'm not convinced that this will be the case, but if you'd like to believe this to be true, then more power to you.

Back