Man Dragged off United Flight

The meme's that are going to be coming out regarding the passenger being "re-accommodated" should be entertaining.....:)
There was some gold in the comments already when I saw it :)

United : "Is there a doctor on the plane?"
Doctor: "Yes"
United: *beats them bloody/drags limp body down the aisle as everyone screams

Even if tomorrow's flight takes a delay or gets cancelled; that's the airline's problem that they need to figure out.

Once LE was informed of the situation, a little bit of digging would be in order. Why is he being removed from the plane? Well, due to an overbooking situation. Ok....help me understand....if he's being removed due to an overbooking situation, how is it that he's onboard the aircraft already and seated in what we've been able to confirm is his legitimate seat assignment, as printed on his boarding pass that's in his possession, that he paid for and that you issued him?

Well, the overbooking situation occurred after all the pax were boarded and we need to get extra crew onboard and didn't get enough volunteers of the pax already onboard, to leave. So we selected some pax at random and he's refusing to get off.

Doesn't sound like an LE matter to me. Sounds like an administrative and customer service matter for you, airline rep. Best figure out a way to make that happen, as it sounds like all reasonable means regarding pax have been exhausted. Beyond this point, becomes unreasonable means. Good day and good luck.

I was earlier thinking the exact same thing. Why in the hell did the officers think this was in any way a legitimate use of their time and resources? Seems to me they should have said, "You caused it. You fix it." Now you have to wonder if CPD isn't going to get dragged into the expected lawsuit as well.

IMG_0486.JPG

United was in the legal right to do what they did, sure, but dragging off an already seated paying passenger to accommodate operational purposes is just a bad look. Seems like there’s several things they could have done before dragging this guy off the plane.

Do they give front line airline employees any training for situations like this in the new social media age? Like, “Hey, let’s not drag the customer kicking and screaming off the plane if we can help it because every pax with a camera phone will be recording it and posting it to social media” and it’ll create a PR poo storm. I’m not defending the guy’s behavior because he was in the wrong too, but at some point you gotta look at the bigger picture.

I just saw Oscar’s statement on Facebook regarding the incident, it sounds suspiciously like, “Oops, we (bleeped) up!”

The meme's that are going to be coming out regarding the passenger being "re-accommodated" should be entertaining.....:)

1n0cej.jpg

I wish I had some photoshop skills to add the little swooshy thing

prt_320x212_1394452925.jpg

Policy does seem to contradict their marketing

Last edited:
I still remember a time when (a) no camera phones and (b) a lot less entitlement.

"Sir we need your seat, we will reaccomodate you on another flight"

No drama.

Now people have Geraldo Rivera on speed dial, camera phones and "How dare they ask little girls (the non-revs) to not wear yoga pants (comply with the dress code for non-revs). I think they've been slighted and I get to play 'shame on United'"

Wait, I'm defending United. Do you think @Seggy will get triggered and make this about SouthernJets?

According to the article. The flight was apparently overbooked by 1. That was solved and pax were boarded. But then a need to get a crew to that destination now resulted in 4 more volunteers to been needed to deplane in order to make room for them. With not enough volunteers, pax including this guy were voluntold.

Sucks because this particular guy had nothing to do with anything or with UALs staffing issues down range. All he had done is buy a ticket, show up, board his flight, be calmly seated awaiting the flight he paid for, and no one would've remembered who he was under any normal circumstance.

But an apparently last minute need to send 4 crew needing a ride to the destination, now randomly became this guy's problem? That's UALs staffing problem, not his, or any other fare-paying pax (am assuming there no non-rev's or something to choose from). The concept of customer service needs a look here, as they shouldn't have to be paying the price, so to speak. A staffing need by the airline isn't an emergency that should get paying pax forcibly bumped. Volunteers? Sure. But after that, find another way, especially since the initial pax overbooking had apparently already been solved, and now was created again.

Inconvenience him vs inconvenience an entire plane full of people.

I'll agree that it shouldn't have come to the police using force (never thought I'd be arguing that side of the coin against you), but the airline industry is a very fluid environment. Sometimes you end up with a plane needing a crew for a very valid reason.

Inconvenience him vs inconvenience an entire plane full of people.

I'll agree that it shouldn't have come to the police using force (never thought I'd be arguing that side of the coin against you), but the airline industry is a very fluid environment. Sometimes you end up with a plane needing a crew for a very valid reason.

When you tell an officer "No, I won't move", they're not going to say "pretty please".

What was the specific reason?
From what I can tell United wanted four seats for a DH crew that showed up last minute. Three got off and accepted the $800, leaving this one passenger who was "randomly selected" and refused.

If it was an operational recovery and they're deadheading crewmembers to staff a distressed flight, I'm not sure how else to handle that situation.

From what I can tell United wanted four seats for a DH crew that showed up last minute. Three got off and accepted the $800, leaving this one passenger who was "randomly selected" and refused.

Right, but according to his ticket UAL complied with their contract of carriage.

However, refusing to deplane is a violation of the contract of carriage.

The only possible grey area involves the term "denial of boarding" and whether it applies to someone who has physically boarded already.

Back