Man Dragged off United Flight

Anyone know who the carrier was? If it was an RJ, that changes United's exposure significantly.

Yes, yes I do. No, not at a commuter but at my company those are the rates for the more senior people.

For the more senior people maybe. But that's like saying "all pilots make 250,000!"

Some do...most don't.

Not that I'm saying low pay is an excuse for poor treatment. But I've got 75,000 on United in the last year or so, plus another 25k on other airlines and I can't think of a time that I feel I've been mistreated.

Anyone know who the carrier was? If it was an RJ, that changes United's exposure significantly.
Legally? I really don't know. I don't think it matters.

It says United on the plane. It says United on every article you can find on the "event". This is a United PR issue.

For the more senior people maybe. But that's like saying "all pilots make 250,000!"

Some do...most don't.
The more senior they are the worse they treat passengers. And crew. That's what happens when you get fat dumb and happy in a unionized environment with almost no ramifications for your actions.

When I was nonreving a couple years ago one of our agents sternly told a passenger "I'm not asking, I'm telling" when trying to check their bag. My mouth hit the floor. Ironically I found out later this person was fired from Delta. Oh the irony.

Legally? I really don't know. I don't think it matters.

It says United on the plane. It says United on every article you can find on the "event". This is a United PR issue.

You'd think, but not the case. It might be a United PR issue, but legally, something else very different.

Looks like it was on an RJ. This is what happens when you don't completely control the product you put your customers on. Throw in using outsourced above/below wing ACS. Whether Eagle, Connection, or Expeess, they all have the ability to give the mainline a black eye.

Haha, yeah that's it...this was a regional partner problem. Was it also a "regional" gate agent that boarded the aircraft? Were they following United's carriage policy or that of the regional partner? Did the passenger buy a ticket on United.com or did they go to Scumbagregional.com and buy the ticket? Did they want the deadhead crew to operate a United flight #xyz or Scumbag Regional flight #xyzx?

But yeah, by all means, go ahead and look down your nose and think this isn't a UAL problem through and through. And no, I don't work for a regional or United.

You'd think, but not the case. It might be a United PR issue, but legally, something else very different.
No one cares if it was United or a subcontractor of United. The PR issue is the biggest issue in this whole event. The amount of money they'll pay if/when the passenger sues is peanuts.

I still remember a time when (a) no camera phones and (b) a lot less entitlement.

"Sir we need your seat, we will reaccomodate you on another flight"

No drama.

Now people have Geraldo Rivera on speed dial, camera phones and "How dare they ask little girls (the non-revs) to not wear yoga pants (comply with the dress code for non-revs). I think they've been slighted and I get to play 'shame on United'"

Wait, I'm defending United. Do you think @Seggy will get triggered and make this about SouthernJets?

Nope, no triggering. This is a very good post.

The more senior they are the worse they treat passengers. And crew. That's what happens when you get fat dumb and happy in a unionized environment with almost no ramifications for your actions.

When I was nonreving a couple years ago one of our agents sternly told a passenger "I'm not asking, I'm telling" when trying to check their bag. My mouth hit the floor. Ironically I found out later this person was fired from Delta. Oh the irony.

Maybe you should work for a better airline?

Jesus guys forget about the stupid "contract of carriage". We all know United can do whatever they want just like Wells Fargo can force all those customers who had accounts opened by their fraudulent actions could be forced into arbitration.

Ultimately if things like this continue to happen and be made a big deal out of (the kicker in this scenario is 1) the passenger was ALLOWED BACK ON and 2) he was black) and it costs United money things will change. Personally, I hope the guy sues United for all he can. He was let back on, that pretty much admits United screwed up and called the police on him for no reason.

What is that supposed to mean? The contract of carriage is the contract -- the set of rules -- between the ticket holder (passenger) and the airline operator (business company). That's like saying Jesus forget about the FCOM, and then you go do your own thing. Good luck explaining that in a hearing...

Anyone know if the flight crew (CA/FO) was aware what was going on? I'm no captain, but if I knew there was a DH crew trying to get somewhere I would have made a simple PA announcing "Folks, some coworkers of ours need to get to Louisville tonight to be able to work tomorrow to keep the Friendly Skies® running smoothly. Now, if no one volunteers their seats for some generous compensation, then NO ONE is going to Louisville tonight..."

If anyone cares it was RJET that operating this fiasco of a flight...

Back