Man Dragged off United Flight

Could be initially. But some gathering of facts, along with the initial demeanor of the passenger, should paint a fairly accurate picture of what is going on and why. For the airline, as mentioned already in the thread, perception is indeed reality.

Question, as I'm not a LEO. At what point does refusal to leave, when asked by the proprietor of a business, become trespassing?

Business' can refuse service and ask you to leave their premises and the airline is within their right to ask a person to leave their aircraft consistent with the contract of carriage.

So at what point does it become a law enforcement issue.

"Arrest" and "detain" are different things. I suspect that they're detaining someone until Chicago PD shows up to arrest them and take them into custody. A fine line, but an important one.
It does state both does it not? If they can only detain and not arrest, why wouldn't it say so? It also states: "Contacts and coordinates with Chicago Police Officers for the transfer, transporting and processing of arrested or detained individuals" They can't drag someone off to jail or process/book them. That is why the CPD are then called in. They can detain someone to search them, question them, etc., or they can arrest someone and then the CPD are called in to haul them off, to have them formally charged and processed through the court system. So that is my take.

Last edited:
From the very article @Avgirl posted. She'd have seen it had she scrolled down through the whole thing.

"Chicago has two law-enforcement forces that patrol O’Hare and Midway airports: the Chicago Police Department, whose officers are armed, and Department of Aviation police, whose officers are unarmed. Aviation officers alone handled the situation aboard the United flight."

I saw it, Pumpkin. ;) Having the title isn't the same as being a police officer, and when the Department of Aviation calls them Security Officers in their statement, they aren't police. If you can't arrest someone or carry a gun, or stop an active shooter, you aren't the police. Not the real police anyway. No wonder the two departments conflict!

They cannot arrest anyone but may temporarily detain someone until the Chicago PD arrive, per the following.

Aviation security officers cannot carry weapons but must be state-certified police officers, meaning they have to meet the same minimum standards as other local cops, according to a job description posted on a city website. The officers, for example, have to pass fitness testing and psychological examinations, like Chicago police officers. The officers can "temporarily detain and take people into custody until Chicago police arrives," Martinez said. However, only Chicago police can complete and file an arrest report, she said.

"While they do have limited authority to make an arrest, Sunday's incident was not within standard operating procedures nor will we tolerate that kind of action," Karen Pride, a spokeswoman for the Department of Aviation, said in a statement. "That is why we quickly placed the aviation security officer on leave pending a thorough review of the situation."

They cannot arrest anyone but may temporarily detain someone until the Chicago PD arrive, and more assorted drivel.....even though Karen Pride states "While they do have limited authority to make an arrest"

nRzeDwD.gif

Last edited:
I will say this. You can NAI all you want. But if this is the level of service passengers can expect, you will lose to foreign carriers that are trying to infiltrate your markets.

I don't understand how so many here are defending the airlines customer service (it's in the contract!!) while simultaneously complaining about carriers like the ME3 and NAI stealing our jobs.

I don't understand how so many here are defending the airlines customer service (it's in the contract!!) while simultaneously complaining about carriers like the ME3 and NAI stealing our jobs.

I'm waiting for the NAI ad campaign saying how they don't overbook.

What do you think is going to be the end game board position for UA? Greatly reduced profits? Shrinkage? Closing up shop?

Sure the airline might have a slightly lower than normal quarter, but they will bounce back. Some individuals, like yourself, may remember, but society at large will forget this in a few months. Something "going viral" is in no way an indication of something having cultural staying power. If that was the case I would be able to buy Numa Numa t-shirts, and people would still be having the wedding party dance down the isle at weddings.

They're not going to close up shop, but I haven't seen this incredible arrogance since the Big 3 let the Japanese automakers into their houses and butt • their extended family for a few decades while they thumbed their asses. Good luck talking people out of flying Emirates or Norwegian when this is somehow an acceptable customer experience to management.

This was Republic Airlines. Another regional airline destroys the reputation of the airlines.

Back