MAALS intersection

Orange Anchor

Yesterday coming of KTEB, we get a re-route. TEB 5 dept to ELIOT and then ETX and then the MAALS intersection. We try to load the FMS. No MAALS. I return to CLR and ask for spelling of intersection. Mike alpha alpha lima sierra. FMS still won't take it. Checking the chart HIGH and LOW, NO MAALS. Nothing even close to MAALS.

Back to CLR and they say it is ETX 249/31. We check and find SUZIE and it is a JET ROUTE but nothing at 31 DME. We use an alternate method in the FMS and load the definition (ETX 249/31) but later checking the nav data base at a few flight planning sites, no MAALS.

So, the question is where did MAALS come from?

According to www.fltplan.com...

Fix Name: MAALS
Identifier: MAALS
Lat/Long: 40-19-18.860N / 076-16-10.800W
State Name: PENNSYLVANIA
Fix Category: Civil
Charts: ENROUTE HIGH
Fix/Rad/Dist:
ETX/249.12/31

Fix Use: REP-PT
ARTCC: ZNY
Pitch: No
Catch: No

Well...it's in my Flight Simulator FMS for the PSS which has been out of business for a while now...so who knows :)

FYI - June 5th had a big update as far as waypoints, routes, etc. Oceanic saw a huge change going to RNP10, I think the dual J80 was just published as well.

Interesting also that the intersection does show up on some on-line nav sites but not on others.

Word of caution and that is that MAULL is also in the area and one could be tempted to put that one in. On that same flight, we were cleared to another fix and our FMC said we would exhaust all fuel. ??? Two similar sounding intersections and the controller had misspelled it. BUBAA and BUBBA. The latter is, as one would expect, in South Carolina. The one we needed was the first one.

Fly and learn...

Back